fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unless you like spending that kinda money and goin to a site only to find the battery in the coil is dead bring minelab 600 for backupy
If I am dumb enough to leave my house without making sure my batteries are charged I deserve to not be able to hunt. But, for your information I take my charger and two extra coils with me and I also take my trusty old White's DFX. I can't swing the DFX for more than a couple hours but it is with me if I need it.
And, my hunting buddy has two 800s so we always have back ups if we need them.
Thank you for your concern.:icon_thumright:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To me a $1600 metal detector is a lot of $$$ and tho it was mentally easy purchase, I still sold 5 detectors
to “ swing” it. Not living near the beach I know I’ll never find enough gold to pay for it, but I’ll get my $$$ worth in fun, exercise, good times and many prized artifacts.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone who thinks they're a professional metal detectorist is a dreamer, in my opinion. Very few people make a living metal detecting. I do it for fun. Trying to make a living out of it would ruin the fun for me. If I spent $1,600 on a machine, I would be so angry every time I struck out. I'd be thinking that I wasted my money and will never break even on the deal, not to mention actually profit from my purchase. Too much pressure to succeed every time I went detecting.

I definitely know what I'm talking about. I used to love collecting baseball cards and autographs. I also made a decent second income selling my extras . But the fun went away when I started to rely on my hobby as a steady income. Too much pressure to keep the money rolling in all the time. I ended up selling most of my baseball stuff and quit collecting for 20 years. Just started collecting again last year, purely for the fun of it...
I agree wholeheartedly that morphing anything in life you derive pleasure from into a JOB is not going to generate inner peace. Just imho. Swing a detector to be outside and relish the finds as a bonus, F@#$ money!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, here's my opinion ...

I've used my Deus for the last 7 years and my E-Trac for the 7 years before that.
I'm a coin & relic hunter - I only Beach hunt one day a year at the most so I'm pretty sure I won't be getting a Deus 2.
For those of you that hunt the wet areas on fresh and salt water beaches a multi frequency machine is a must have.
From what I've seen and read the Deus 2 could turn out to be the best multi purpose metal detector ever made.
If the Deus 2 is as good as they say - you'll no longer need to have two different machines for Land & Beach hunting.

As far as the cost of the Deus 2 ...
Multi frequency & Waterproof down to 60 ft. plus - I'm surprised the cost is not higher - $2000.00 or more.
Look at how many thousands of people spent $2500.00 on their CTX's.

Metal Detecting is one of the most affordable hobbies on Earth once the initial investment is made.
The cost of buying a high end metal detector, headphones, pinpointers, diggers, etc. is $2k to $3k.
The life span of most of this equipment is 8 or 10 years or more - and gives you many thousands of hours of use.
As other's have already posted - $3k won't get you very far in other hobbies like ..
owning a Boat, racing a Four Wheeler, restoring an Old Car, buying a Harley, playing Golf, etc.
I use to spend well over $10k a year on Ship Wreck Diving - that was 30 years ago.

The bottom line is ... over time, our hobby is very inexpensive for the money we have to invest.
It probably only cost me about 10 Cents an hour (+ gas & 9V batteries) to hunt with my E-Trac & Deus over the years.
So, buy the BEST metal detector you can - you'll find a lot more and you won't loose a lot of money on upgrading !

Good Hunting !

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Just wondering who is looking at the Deus II? The price point is up there but it may be worth it if the reviews are accurate.
I might buy a Deus2 "Lite" for 500 less, waterproof to 10 feet, and the relic features reduced. All I need is a solid coin and jewelry machine, and a "Lite version" could meet my needs. Otherwise I don't need one more $1500 detector.

The tests on the D2 do make it look appealing. I won't ever get even 10 feet under water, on purpose so 60' is a waste for me. A cool thousand should be enough for this dry land detector.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here's my opinion ...

I've used my Deus for the last 7 years and my E-Trac for the 7 years before that.
I'm a coin & relic hunter - I only Beach hunt one day a year at the most so I'm pretty sure I won't be getting a Deus 2.
For those of you that hunt the wet areas on fresh and salt water beaches a multi frequency machine is a must have.
From what I've seen and read the Deus 2 could turn out to be the best multi purpose metal detector ever made.
If the Deus 2 is as good as they say - you'll no longer need to have two different machines for Land & Beach hunting.

As far as the cost of the Deus 2 ...
Multi frequency & Waterproof down to 60 ft. plus - I'm surprised the cost is not higher - $2000.00 or more.
Look at how many thousands of people spent $2500.00 on their CTX's.

Metal Detecting is one of the most affordable hobbies on Earth once the initial investment is made.
The cost of buying a high end metal detector, headphones, pinpointers, diggers, etc. is $2k to $3k.
The life span of most of this equipment is 8 or 10 years or more - and gives you many thousands of hours of use.
As other's have already posted - $3k won't get you very far in other hobbies like ..
owning a Boat, racing a Four Wheeler, restoring an Old Car, buying a Harley, playing Golf, etc.
I use to spend well over $10k a year on Ship Wreck Diving - that was 30 years ago.

The bottom line is ... over time, our hobby is very inexpensive for the money we have to invest.
It probably only cost me about 10 Cents an hour (+ gas & 9V batteries) to hunt with my E-Trac & Deus over the years.
So, buy the BEST metal detector you can - you'll find a lot more and you won't loose a lot of money on upgrading !

Good Hunting !
Well said.
I also work on cars and off road . Detecting is by far the cheapest hobby .

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you'll find a lot more and you won't loose a lot of money on upgrading !

You sound like a metal detector dealer or someone who is gullible enough to buy a dealer's sales pitch. I know many detectorists with $200 to $500 detectors who do WAY better than the guys who flush thousands on the hobby. You can't buy you way into finding coins and relics from the 1700's. You have to pay your dues, go where no one else has gone and do the research.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some can't justify spending the $$$ on the Deus2 we get that no problem.
You have no skin in the game you're happy with what you have-great.
Go play, dig, enjoy yourselves.
Mumble, bitch at the trees at those who spend the $$$ because they truly believe it might make a difference in the
finds.

For myself and what I have spent on this hobby in equipment, is just the price to play.
The 8 trips over the pond again the $$$ spent will never come close to the memories, and the thrill of digging gold that is damn near 2100 yrs old, no money can replace that feeling.
Could a cheaper detector pick that gold out? :dontknow:the CTX did though.

The main thing is what I see is an improved version over the current model so far.
Depth tests are very impressive
I will wait to see head to head comparisons of actual hunting with the current model.
The waterproof impresses me-do I dive?- no-Will I do some water hunting? probably.

But the vegans are bitching about the menu choices at the burger joint.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have no skin in the game you're happy with what you have-great.
Go play, dig, enjoy yourselves.
Mumble, bitch at the trees at those who spend the $$$ because they truly believe it might make a difference in the
finds.

I just hate to see people duped every six months with the latest and greatest metal detector. Remember that there are people posting here who are metal detector dealers or have friends and family who sell them. Don't believe everything thing you read. Most of it is hype and baloney.

As for me "playing" , feel free to post your finds and I'll post pics of my drawers full of 1700's coins, colonial shoe buckles, hundreds of flat buttons and so on. Just because I'm not gullible enough to flush $1,600 on the latest and greatest metal detector doesn't mean I don't take my hobby seriously. I've found coins and relics you can only dream of finding. Happy hunting.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really cannot knock someone for wanting to purchase the new Deus 2 what I have seen of it in videos impressed the heck out of me, but for myself i just could not see spending that much on a detector simply because I do not get to detect near as much as I once did, I pretty much knew that $1600 detector would spend most of its time sitting leaned up against the wall like the other ones I have for me personally the legend was a logical decision to make even though there still has not been much posted up on it what I have seen of it I believe it will be a great acquisition for me, as the machines I already have are getting up there in age the legend may end up sitting and I just end up using my Xterra 705 because I know the 705 like the back of my hand and I know the language the 705 speaks, even though the Legend when I have gone over the manual seems fairly similar to my 705 i with a few upgraded setting we shall see though.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked your posts over the past year, but didn't see any significant finds. How about showing us some pics? I'd love to see 2k in gold and silver. I mainly hunt deep in the woods, so gold finds are rare for me. I do find a lot of silver coins and rings, but definitely less than $500 a year. I guess farmers were poor back in the 1700's and 1800's.
Its sad but once I found how easy it is to post on FB local MD groups i stopped bothering to upload pics here. I used to send them from my phone to my computer, then upload and post here. Now its just one click. I love this site but all my local guys are on fb and it makes it easy to communicate. I don't consider 2k to be a good year but I log many hours underwater each summer in rivers bays and oceans. Only notable find was a $1000 gold necklace 30.5g 14k herringbone chain. I had my worst gold year in 2021 and only found the chain and 4 gold rings each $80-$200 in gold. Luckily I found a good bit of silver and as always about $160-180 in clad. I'll se if I can dig up any pics. I usually do some kind of wrap up pic to inspire myself and others but this year was less rewarding than most so I haven't bothered.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have one on order

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post E-Trac !!1

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m sticking with my ORX. Being able to dabble in a lot of personal settings is cool and I did it a lot with the ETrac for years. Now I just want to deploy and go. Also to the cost, one or two finds payed for the machine. Both my ETrac and CZ-21 payed for themselves many times . There is no doubt the cost of a D2 can be covered in a year.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering who is looking at the Deus II? The price point is up there but it may be worth it if the reviews are accurate.
My thought is , seeing everyone Rush out to buy it us like someone leaving their current phone to buy the latest I -phone. A lot of it is exaggerated hype. Are you finding a lot now with your current detector, and know it for years? Do you want to start all over and learn a new machine, primarily a machine designed basically for relics ? Not me. My White V3i in my hands is deadly, because I know the machine. Then in 2 years folks will call the Deus 2 outdated when the 3 model comes out .

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This D2 isn't that much when factoring in cost. I used to fly fish. A good fly rod 500-600$. Licenses ran $150 a year. Fly tying materials $150-200 per year. Fly line $80. Reel $250 plus. Catch and release mostly so there was not much food on the table. Beer, lots of beer.

Fly fishing money always went out. Metal detecting puts money back in my pocket. $200 a year in clad. Silver coins and jewelry. Gold coin in 2020. Reward money for returns.

$1600 for a detector isn't much all things considered.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I don't expect to go as often as I used to, I have one on order. Because I can. I ordered mine the 2nd day they were officially offered, but expect to get it by May or June.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
To me a $1600 metal detector is a lot of $$$ and tho it was mentally easy purchase, I still sold 5 detectors
to “ swing” it. Not living near the beach I know I’ll never find enough gold to pay for it, but I’ll get my $$$ worth in fun, exercise, good times and many prized artifacts.
A girlfriend interested in buying a metal detector asked me how long it would take to find enough to pay it off.

Told her I did not purchase mine to get rich, she lives in town near the beach and suggested she could rent it out during the tourist season.

I thought about getting the Dues II but settled on the Minelab 800 which has been around for awhile and has great support.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A girlfriend interested in buying a metal detector asked me how long it would take to find enough to pay it off.

Told her I did not purchase mine to get rich, she lives in town near the beach and suggested she could rent it out during the tourist season.

I thought about getting the Dues II but settled on the Minelab 800 which has been around for awhile and has great support.
It only takes 1 find sometimes. Right place right time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions