DFX users?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Kenny...I'm Here and I Love My DFX Too! It's a Great Detector!

Kace

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s my only machine and from what I understand they say u can buy another but never give this one away

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have my DFX in operation continuously. I also have Garrett AT max. I alternate the detectors when I have hunting issues with signals, batteries etc.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a new XP Dēus this spring and have been working on getting familiar with it, so the DFX has been sitting at home. Pretty soon I'll be out with both machines at once. The Dēus seems to be quite a bit easier to get acquainted with than the DFX was and offers a bigger range of frequencies. I sure wish it had the "best data" and "correlate" modes of the DFX!

Good hunting,
Bob

yammy

May 19, 2019
West Sussex, UK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just picked up a nearly new DFX and have miles of beach nearby to put it through it's paces so you should see me posting fairly regularly :)

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not convinced that the other machines on the market really provide additional value to make leaving my DFX work it. The tool is only as good as the individual wielding it...

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have my DFX. Use it far less now that I have a V3i. Keep it around in case I want to keep a different coil on it and don't want to change the one on the V3i, have a friend who wants to detect but has no detector, or I just want to use a simpler machine. It also seems better at discrimination, in that it seldom makes a noise when passed over a target whose VDI is not chosen.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello, have been hunting with my DFX for about 8 years, recently bought a few books on the detector, one by Jimmy Sierra. One book how to improve gold finds. I really like the detector, have used others but nothing else feels so solid as the DFX. Wish I could separate small foil and aluminum from gold readings, say 09-25 VDI. Hunting in Nebraska there are still good finds but not like out in eastern states...if anyone has pointers how to dig less trash lets hear it !

bluemask

Apr 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT , CScope 990 XD, Tesoro DeLeon, Fisher CZ3D, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 20 years I bought again a DFX to learn it better than in the past . Whites are for me the best detectors all time.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
After 20 years I bought again a DFX to learn it better than in the past . Whites are for me the best detectors all time.
I've been looking, without any luck, yet, for a nice DFX to buy. I owned one about 12+ years ago and now wish I still had it.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Whites DFX for about 15 years and it was a great machine, SO great that I had 2, and 1 was a backup although it was extremely rare that I used it.
But the machines got old, and the screens started to fade and WHITES went out of business, so I sold mine and got an XP DEUS I and II as the new machines...
I use the DEUS I in playgrounds for small gold and coins, and DEUS II for old sites with iron, for coins and relics...
The DFX was a GREAT MACHINE no doubt, but it just aged out and now you can't get them repaired or serviced without a big hassle... SO... that's why I don't have one anymore :dontknow: 😭

bluemask

Apr 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Whites DFX for about 15 years and it was a great machine, SO great that I had 2, and 1 was a backup although it was extremely rare that I used it.
But the machines got old, and the screens started to fade and WHITES went out of business, so I sold mine and got an XP DEUS I and II as the new machines...
I use the DEUS I in playgrounds for small gold and coins, and DEUS II for old sites with iron, for coins and relics...
The DFX was a GREAT MACHINE no doubt, but it just aged out and now you can't get them repaired or serviced without a big hassle... SO... that's why I don't have one anymore :dontknow: 😭
the screen is easy to replace with a LCD you can find new on Aliexpress site (made it on the XLT I have). The only problem could be the motherboard's replacement . I owned the Deus (european product) for 1 year, but the discrimination will never be equal to the excellent Whites...

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the screen is easy to replace with a LCD you can find new on Aliexpress site (made it on the XLT I have). The only problem could be the motherboard's replacement . I owned the Deus (european product) for 1 year, but the discrimination will never be equal to the excellent Whites...
I think my opinion was just that, an opinion, but If you have access to new screens, (I didn't) or other components that might go bad, more power to you.. Here for the sake of argument, I would say that MOST people don't and MOST people are not going to send their machines to Garret and hope they can fix out of warranty machines from a company that's out of business... For me (and only me) it was time to move on, and just so you know... I would put my XP DEUS II up against ANY other machine in a high trash area, and let the results speak for themselves.

bluemask

Apr 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my opinion was just that, an opinion, but If you have access to new screens, (I didn't) or other components that might go bad, more power to you.. Here for the sake of argument, I would say that MOST people don't and MOST people are not going to send their machines to Garret and hope they can fix out of warranty machines from a company that's out of business... For me (and only me) it was time to move on, and just so you know... I would put my XP DEUS II up against ANY other machine in a high trash area, and let the results speak for themselves.
The world is beautiful for all different opinion...good detecting friend!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm pretty sure that when it comes to replacing a board/screen with some product off of Aliexpress site you're talking to a very limited group of folks.
Not many on the forum would take on the task of replacing such items on the detector.
I do tip my hat to you for having that skill set.

Owning a machine for a year is a questionable length of time.
(Note all the Deus products are France/Ireland made are they not?)

Probably you had the the Deus l?
It's questionable in heavy iron, not that it wasn't good at separation it was a learning process.
I switched to the XY screen early on with the Deus l for iron ID
I ran the machine for 5yrs before buying the Deus ll which is a lot better at ID separation.

Yes White's did make a bunch of great machines (past tense)and from owning every top model from the early 70's into the 90's.
Then Minelab surpassed them I believe, and I ran the explorer series till the Deus l came around.

Getting used to using one machine is the number one secret of detecting I believe.
Some folks have thousands of hours on that model and know every different sound it's putting out to know if it's a target to dig or not.
Some folks buy the latest machine advertised believing it will solve their inability of finding keepers-then they repeat it again. Buying ever accessory coil believing that will solve the issue of coverage/depth/separation.
Yet just putting on the hours will in fact solve most issues with the machine and putting the keepers in the pouch.

Davemill

Greenie
Aug 22, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Detector(s) used
DFX with Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought my first DFX used in 2008. It was an early production model and had seen plenty of use. It died a few years back, leaving an orphaned Bigfoot coil.

Last month I bought a replacement DFX which is in better shape than the first one when I first got it. It looks like a late production model. Those sweet tones are literal music to my ears...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread