Did I find a dang civil war bayonet?!?

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my birthday. 34 years old. My mom and I got together and went for a creek walk through a local Civil War battlefield. We have, over the years, found a 12lb cannonball, minie balls, buttons and hat insignia etc and all I wanted for my bday was a creek walk with my family in one of my favorite spots. Well, we started inside the confederate line and worked our way toward the center of the battlefield. This was found on the confederate side of the battle. The object is heavy. Heavy for its size. It is also well made as it has rusted horribly, but is strong as can be. When looking at the pointy end, ill just call it the "blade", I can see that even though it has flaked off in layers over the years and lost lots of metal, the "blade" had 3 or 4 distinct sides. I didn't capture that in the pics, you'll just have to take my word. The whole thing is just over 18" long and the "blade" is 15" long. If this is a bayonet from the Civil War, my birthday has been made, lol! What a find. If it is, id also say part of the socket atleast is broken off. Most pics I see have slightly longer socket area. It was a heart pounder either way when hunting a CW battlefield! Anybody have any opinions? I know it sure looks like a bayonet, haha! What else could it be? Thats a legitimate question... any idea what else it could be? I'm just looking to show my find and see if you guys think it is what I think it is, haha. Thanks for looking! Happy hunting everybody! All replies are welcome!
@bonezcustoms on Instagram
20210423_202447.jpg
20210423_202453.jpg 20210423_202513.jpg 20210423_202515.jpg

Upvote 17

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!! Happy BDay!!!!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy birthday, that makes a nice gift!

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! So I take it ya'll think this is a bayonet as well? Obviously you must. Still looking for ID, but just showing off here haha. Thanks for the well wishes! It was a killer day any day I'm hunting, lol. Cant beat it when you find something so POSSIBLY cool lol.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't know. It looks like what would be the socket, is offset too far from what would be the blade. Maybe it is just bent in some way, but the shape doesn't look right.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shape is a bit off... could be that its bent that way... the socket may have deteriorated...

Need to knock off some of that crud and re-post new close up pics.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Birthday! Spending the day with family is a treasure in it’s self. I hope it’s a bayonet that would be cool.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Take a wire brush to that bent part..then you'll find out..8-)

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice birthday gift for yourself. Congratulations

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is cleaned up best I can get it... its very strange as it is a 3-4 sided "blade" that tapers to an obvious point. I would imagine the bayonet was broken and discarded most likely, if this a bayonet. It matches the size of several bayonets ive been researching, but with the rust... I can't be sure what was taken off with the rust etc. The shape, length, weight etc seem correct, although it is in JUNK condition. I can also tell you, if I flick the tip of the item, I can feel it vibrate all the way to the end and it does so for quite some time. Could be a myth my grandpa taught me, but he always said to flick a knife blade and if it "rings" its good steel. This "rings" as well as some of my nicest knives, so it must have been a decent quality steel. Especially after spending who knows how much time on a creekbank. I'm honestly surprised this is even still here at all and not completely disintegrated! Definitely quality, old craftsmanship for sure. Sorry for no closeups... just snapped this pic to show what I found under the rust. I can say, the area at the top of the bend(opposite side of the "point" , is square shaped. Not sire if that helps in any identifying of the object or not. Ill try to get some good lit close ups for you guys today... Thanks for all the replies! It was a wonderful day, bayonet or not! 20210425_145534.jpg 20210425_145534.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, I would have to say no to bayonet.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No bayonet, the bayonets were blade like or triangular blades.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottle jack or scissor jack crank handle.

s-l640.jpg

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a bayonet unfortunately but Happy Birthday either way. Dang sure looks alot like the shape of one but it has no socket and the blade is wrong as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread