Did I find a thing

JLGayton

Nov 6, 2021
Howdy,
I live in Southern NY, in the vicinity of Schunnemunk Mountain State Park and was digging in the garden today. I found this odd crescent shaped stone about a foot down which fits perfectly to grip into your hand (even better in my moms), down to grooves where each finger would rest. (granted we were holding it properly as intended if a scraper tool). There are very sharp edges, and in particular the bottom edge (in the photo) is smooth and even, which makes sense if that was the scraping edge. The crescent grip side a bit more jagged but feels very comfortable when gripped and actually firmly fits in place to the creases of where your fingers and palm meet. I'm not sure of the type of rock this is however I can say that I've never seen any geology like this in this area, everything is generally smoothed and rounded from weathering of various kinds (most recently glacial). I did consider perhaps it was just a rock shattered uniquely by being struck by farm equipment at some point? There are alot of old stone walls around for comparison of rock types/shapes and this is unique, perhaps brought from a quarry/gathering site elsewhere and shaped. Nothing really similar in the streambeds or exposed rockfaces in the immediate vicinity. The underside is relatively even and smooth as well. Did I find a thing?
Cheers,
JG
20211106_160224.jpg

Attachments

• 20211106_160234.jpg
    20211106_160234.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
Upvote 2

Up-North

Nov 13, 2020
s.e. Minnesota’s driftless area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy,
I live in Southern NY, in the vicinity of Schunnemunk Mountain State Park and was digging in the garden today. I found this odd crescent shaped stone about a foot down which fits perfectly to grip into your hand (even better in my moms), down to grooves where each finger would rest. (granted we were holding it properly as intended if a scraper tool). There are very sharp edges, and in particular the bottom edge (in the photo) is smooth and even, which makes sense if that was the scraping edge. The crescent grip side a bit more jagged but feels very comfortable when gripped and actually firmly fits in place to the creases of where your fingers and palm meet. I'm not sure of the type of rock this is however I can say that I've never seen any geology like this in this area, everything is generally smoothed and rounded from weathering of various kinds (most recently glacial). I did consider perhaps it was just a rock shattered uniquely by being struck by farm equipment at some point? There are alot of old stone walls around for comparison of rock types/shapes and this is unique, perhaps brought from a quarry/gathering site elsewhere and shaped. Nothing really similar in the streambeds or exposed rockfaces in the immediate vicinity. The underside is relatively even and smooth as well. Did I find a thing?
Cheers,
JG
View attachment 1989387
Nope…. But keep on the hunt…✌️

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
J, that's a stone I've come to call a "natural tool".

If you look at the stone you have, there is no evidence of it being worked
by man. No spots where someone intentionally flaked off material in
order to sharpen or form the stone into a tool.

As Up-North said, you've got the right idea, so just keep looking and soon enough you'll find some righteous artifacts.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy,
Cheers,
JG
View attachment 1989387
Welcome to TreasureNet. Sorry, natural stone, keep looking and good luck, they are out there, just have to learn how and what to look for.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like everyone said, keep looking and you will be rewarded!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread