Did the hunters shoot the whisky bottles when they were done drinking?

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• DSCF0703.JPG
    DSCF0703.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 3

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be. Glass bottles make a nice noise when hit with a bullet. Don't ask me how I know. Not a good idea - makes too much broken glass for someone or an animal to get cut on and remains a hazard forever.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I love the sound of breaking glass", from a song, most people like to break glass. You can't hear it break when you shoot it with a firearm though, the gun makes way more noise. When I was a kid we had BB guns, slingshots, then .22s and .410s. No bottle ever survived being spotted in the woods. If totally unarmed, the nearest rock works just fine. Bottles simply have "target" written all over them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I love the sound of breaking glass", from a song, most people like to break glass. You can't hear it break when you shoot it with a firearm though, the gun makes way more noise. When I was a kid we had BB guns, slingshots, then .22s and .410s. No bottle ever survived being spotted in the woods. If totally unarmed, the nearest rock works just fine. Bottles simply have "target" written all over them.
Why Gunsil.... i never knew you were the Adolf Hitler of bottles.

Who knew... heh

:P

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig those all the time , I'm digging at a 1700-1800s homesite and those dang tops are often a few inches deep and sound so good. watch your sore fingers...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, whiskey, wine, and liquor bottles were good to break but soda and beer bottles were worth 2 cents for the small ones and a nickle for the quarts and we collected those to sell for more ammo. .22s cost a penny apiece so it didn't take too many bottles for an afternoon shooting.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was about 15 years old me and my buddy dug an old 40s trash pit in the woods next to his granny's house. We dug about 30old grand dad whisky bottles and put them on his granny's open front porch for safekeping.. She was not a happy granny when she discovered our cache of old bottles, said the neighborhood would start talking about Ole granny hitting the booze and leaving her emptys scattered all over the porch. Needless to say, we had no option but to take them back to the woods and set them up on a log and have target practice with our bb gun. As an adult, not the best thing to do, but it did happen, and still does......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread