Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is COLD!!! And there is about 2 inches of snow on the ground now that it has compacted from the original 6 inches and that is to the east of me down the mountain where it is 10 degrees warmer than home and they didn’t get the foot of snow we got. It has been almost a week since I was out last so I figured it was time to go out and try a little detector swingin. The places I have to detect with any decent chance of success in this weather are very limited. Right now the best chances are at the schools and I can only do them on the weekends. I wasn’t counting on much, but you never know when lightning will strike and the goodies will show up so off I went.

Saturday I went to the middle school with the civil war bullets. It was 14 degrees when I got there, but it did warm up to 23 before I left. There were a few bare spots, but they were frozen solid and I couldn’t make a dent. I got my coil over some promising signals, but they will have to wait until this mess clears up. I did manage to swing the CZ21 for 3.5 hours and found 21 coins with a whopping face value of $0.88, one civil war bullet, 3 whole aluminum cans, 2 tabs and an assortment of can slaw and trash.

A76B8F83-7732-420A-BF26-798F4CF54A80.jpeg

8973C307-BA34-4EA0-9008-3CE52BE42ED4.jpeg

The civil war bullet really shows signs it was moved around by heavy equipment. It has been mashed on the back end and you can see the drag marks along all sides. If you look real closely you can see the faint remains of the 3 grooves. The bottom one is mostly cut off where it was mashed. It counts as the best find of the day, but it is definitely not as nice as any of the other drops I have found here.

F51AB280-7AEE-49A8-91BA-88B71F39FD68.jpeg

Today I went to the other middle school hoping for more coins and maybe a little silver. This place has weather more like home so I was hoping the ground would be more snow covered so the digging would be easier. At home the snow has insulated the ground and I can get my shovel in with just a little crust of frozen ground. I WAS WRONG. The ground was totally frozen solid everywhere on the property even with a nice couple inches of snow left on the ground. So after walking around trying to find a place I could get my shovel in the ground I went home without even getting out my detector.

I’ve been staying home cleaning up finds and making displays of stuff I found at the scout camp. The displays will be donated to camp so the folks can see what has been lost over the past 40 years and the evidence of the original settlers and farmers that were there before the scouts. It’s something to do while I wait for the ground to thaw.

At least I got out for a few hours and I did manage one decent find. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things. I also hope it leads you to unfrozen ground.

Attachments

• 0C9BB358-A04F-49A7-950C-9AEBABAB3836.jpeg
    0C9BB358-A04F-49A7-950C-9AEBABAB3836.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 8

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Good snow finds! I use to enjoy hunting in the snow, but now that I'm an ol'fart, the lure just isn't as appealing to me.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is COLD!!! And there is about 2 inches of snow on the ground now that it has compacted from the original 6 inches and that is to the east of me down the mountain where it is 10 degrees warmer than home and they didn’t get the foot of snow we got. It has been almost a week since I was out last so I figured it was time to go out and try a little detector swingin. The places I have to detect with any decent chance of success in this weather are very limited. Right now the best chances are at the schools and I can only do them on the weekends. I wasn’t counting on much, but you never know when lightning will strike and the goodies will show up so off I went.

Saturday I went to the middle school with the civil war bullets. It was 14 degrees when I got there, but it did warm up to 23 before I left. There were a few bare spots, but they were frozen solid and I couldn’t make a dent. I got my coil over some promising signals, but they will have to wait until this mess clears up. I did manage to swing the CZ21 for 3.5 hours and found 21 coins with a whopping face value of $0.88, one civil war bullet, 3 whole aluminum cans, 2 tabs and an assortment of can slaw and trash.

View attachment 2005331

View attachment 2005332

The civil war bullet really shows signs it was moved around by heavy equipment. It has been mashed on the back end and you can see the drag marks along all sides. If you look real closely you can see the faint remains of the 3 grooves. The bottom one is mostly cut off where it was mashed. It counts as the best find of the day, but it is definitely not as nice as any of the other drops I have found here.

View attachment 2005330

Today I went to the other middle school hoping for more coins and maybe a little silver. This place has weather more like home so I was hoping the ground would be more snow covered so the digging would be easier. At home the snow has insulated the ground and I can get my shovel in with just a little crust of frozen ground. I WAS WRONG. The ground was totally frozen solid everywhere on the property even with a nice couple inches of snow left on the ground. So after walking around trying to find a place I could get my shovel in the ground I went home without even getting out my detector.

I’ve been staying home cleaning up finds and making displays of stuff I found at the scout camp. The displays will be donated to camp so the folks can see what has been lost over the past 40 years and the evidence of the original settlers and farmers that were there before the scouts. It’s something to do while I wait for the ground to thaw.

At least I got out for a few hours and I did manage one decent find. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things. I also hope it leads you to unfrozen ground.
Nice!!! Congrats!!! It's still fun in the snow, but it does make it Cold!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good snow finds! I use to enjoy hunting in the snow, but now that I'm an ol'fart, the lure just isn't as appealing to me.
Thanks for reply. I don’t really enjoy the snow hunting, but sometimes you just need to get out and swing so you do what you gotta do. I’m 71 so I’m an ol’fart too. Stay safe and keep swingin.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Brrrrr! You have a serious case of digging fever to go out in those conditions. I am glad you were rewarded with a CW bullet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread