dielectric grease ,yes or no

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couldn't hurt. You don't need much.

I use it on my boat trailer light connector(s) and tractor electrical system. Both live outdoors 24/7.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use it on my four classic cars especially since they don't see many miles and just sitting isn't great for electrical connections, never thought about using it on detector connections but I'd say go for it. Use sparingly.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use this stuff on my older truck, would you use it on the plugs of you detector? think it would help or just make a mess?
thanks brad
I would not hesitate to use it but in moderation. Always use it on my trailer hookup. I have used on my ML Explorer, but my CTX 3030 has the WM 10 so no need.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem I can think of is that it collects dust. It does prevent corrosion.

Tinhorn2

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use it all my battery terminals, especially my Game Camera's, out in the weather all the times. An remember in the old years you had to bump the back end of the Flashlights to get them to come on. No problems for that either. But, I have never put any of my Detectors yet tho... I would'n think it would hurt it

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use it all my battery terminals, especially my Game Camera's, out in the weather all the times. An remember in the old years you had to bump the back end of the Flashlights to get them to come on. No problems for that either. But, I have never put any of my Detectors yet tho... I would'n think it would hurt it
I too have seen globs of it on vehicle battery terminals in order to prevent corrosion

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Since dielectric grease is a silicone grease, it should not be used on silicone-based rubbers or plastics, as it will break them down over time. The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection."

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
"Since dielectric grease is a silicone grease, it should not be used on silicone-based rubbers or plastics, as it will break them down over time. The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection."
i thought that was what it was used for?????

Reactions: ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought that was what it was used for?????
yeah.... i am not 100% on this... this is just what the internet keeps saying.

Personally... i use 100% PURE silicone without problems for eons.

For the last few years i have incorporated the spray.

one blanket

Nov 14, 2006
I have wondered if dielectric grease conducts electric current too. Guess I'll set ohms on a meter & see if get any reading.
Main comment to this thread is when I worked around Florida Power & Light the linemen would use it on the ends that plugged into the transformers of residential underground systems. I think the boots were rubber so grease made things slide instead of the friction of rubber on metal. The repair splices underground got some too but those boots didn't look like same material as transformer boots.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity though it will keep a connection from corrosion if in contact with moisture. I just studied all this because of my boat battery. Same with white lithium but it is for moving parts.
Silicone spray as stated is a good choice if used frequently.

pulltaboo

Jul 29, 2022
North GA
Any grease will attract and retain dirt, sand and dust. So if you're changing coils often, I'd suggest running it without any grease. Otherwise, any food/scuba grade silicone (I use Trident brand) will work perfectly. Make sure to degrease occasionally to prevent abrasive buildups… Something like CRC QD Contact or Electronic Cleaner will wash it right off without any harm to plated contacts.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most automotive control modules (engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes) use dielectric grease on their connections to prevent corrosion. It doesn't impede the electric current at all. The all use a weather seal that also keeps dirt and dust out.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I would not use it on anything that is under warranty. It could void it if something went wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread