Dig those Crappy signals or risk loosing the good stuff!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today i took a trip to my standing permission and once again walked away with a couple keepers.
Considering i have pounded this permission hard, my plan was simple...dig all signals that ring up mid tone and higher.
So, when i dug my first hole, I was not disappointed to see a large stainless flat washer pop out of the hole.
Two hours later i picked up a V nickel and called it quits.

Back at the car i dumped my finds pouch to separate my trash from coins and the washer caught my eye.
Go figure...that smooth washer turned out to be a well worn Barber HALF! I guess i need to be a bit more observant in the future!
Here is a picture of all my finds for the day.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg IMG_0340.jpg

Turns out the Half dollar is an 1896-S. Funny thing is...this is my second Barber half and it is the same year as my first.
My first being an 1896-O in way better condition found 38 years ago!

Anyhow...the V nickel turned out to be a 1911
Here are the two coins together.
IMG_0345.jpg

HH everyone and remember...Dig all those crappy signals or risk loosing the good stuff!

Last edited:
Upvote 54

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, you better get your eyes checked if you that thought that was a stainless washer :p. Congrats

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I was wearing sunglasses and the edge of the coin has no ridges..its very smooth.
Also, when i say crappy signal...it rang up mid tone and in the 60s....not a silver signal at all so it was pretty easy to assume washer.

Oh yea...also...who gets a Silver Half as the very first signal of the day? LOL Nobody.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, you need to learn what silver looks like!

Digging crappy signals is the only way to get silver from many places that have been pounded to death. You gotta pick your battles though, otherwise it would be faster and cleaner to just dig and sift every square foot.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, you need to learn what silver looks like!

Digging crappy signals is the only way to get silver from many places that have been pounded to death. You gotta pick your battles though, otherwise it would be faster and cleaner to just dig and sift every square foot.

Lesson learned for sure...I think it was just the mindset i was in. Never have i dug a signal so low and so crappy. and since it was my first signal of the day I was thinking trash or possibly an Indian penny so when i saw big and smooth i didn't give it a second glance. It just went into the finds pouch and i carried on.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to dig ALL the mid tones. One of my recent mid tones was a 2 gram gold nugget!

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did one time, i had permission to hunt the yard of a old home in Abington Va. It was being renovated to become the visitors center..I walked over to the yard and started swinging made a few sweeps and bong first coin was a 1902 Barber half wow i thought my first one i scanned a little further and bong again this time a 1907 half after that i just started swinging madly lol I ended up with a dime, nickel and a couple of pennies. One heck of a morning for sure... The park next to the old house yielded too, some nice finds, but a lot of it now has had fill dirt added.....Had some nice hunts there...

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! The 1896 S is a semi-key date, and worth a lot more than without the S!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! The 1896 S is a semi-key date, and worth a lot more than without the S!

I don't think this one is worth more than a few bucks over melt because of the condition. That said, My 1896 -O is in Fine to very fine condition making it worth a few dollars for sure!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did one time, i had permission to hunt the yard of a old home in Abington Va. It was being renovated to become the visitors center..I walked over to the yard and started swinging made a few sweeps and bong first coin was a 1902 Barber half wow i thought my first one i scanned a little further and bong again this time a 1907 half after that i just started swinging madly lol I ended up with a dime, nickel and a couple of pennies. One heck of a morning for sure... The park next to the old house yielded too, some nice finds, but a lot of it now has had fill dirt added.....Had some nice hunts there...

Now that is a dream hunt! My best silver day was a walking liberty half and a 40 percent Kennedy half along with a merc and Barber dime.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin shooting! You are correct...did everything! :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I HATE those SS washers. I do dig them!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt. Congrat's on some very nice coins.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a far cry from a washer. Great job! :icon_thumleft:

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I pile on?... you should wear spectacles and dig anything that MOVESSSSSS!
Just teasing. Awesome find. Barber halves are rare for anyone and certainly not expected! Thanks for sharing a great pic of an awesome coin fresh from the dirt.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think this one is worth more than a few bucks over melt because of the condition. That said, My 1896 -O is in Fine to very fine condition making it worth a few dollars for sure!

If it graded AG3, that's a $70 coin. At any rate that's a great coin to dig up. I dug the same coin in a spill years ago, and I lucked out with it being in really nice condition.

I agree about digging crappy signals...DIG IT ALL!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in all metal and try and dig it all - Ive been in hobby since 1975 and can tell you a ton of stories on land and in the water where guys cherry picked
signals trying to go for only the good stuff and they passed up goodies that went off bad or weird and they dismissed
Ive gotten many white god rings that guys said went off as pulltabs on their machines and they passed up - I went to a farm field with a group of guys
where we parked - everyone and their brother parked and it was a popular drinking spot - you could see whole cans and and slaw all over at the fields edge
this spot goes back to the 1600s and the guys i was with - had been hitting here for 3-4 yrs sucessfully - it was my first time - when we took a break
for lunch - i was swinging around our vehicles and getting 3-5 blast with each swing - all kinds of aluminum. I commented that there had to be
some good stuff in there under all the garbage - i was in all metal but would click over on certain targets to check. I got a hit and it said silver dollar on my screen
The guys laughed and said you got a can ...i told them the cans were reading off lower than that and decided to dig - we were all shocked when I pulled out a
silver spoon from the 1800s...when i got home and weighed it - it came in about the same weight as a silver dollar - those guys had walked over that spot for yrs
guys have passed up small cut coins trying to detect "by the numbers" and have passed up broken gold cause it didnt go off right
cant tell you how much gold & silver ive gotten with iron in the same hole
- I like to leave an area thinking i pulled out everything I could - at least everything i went over :icon_thumright:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Barber half. Don't usually dig 60s? On my 2 Whites machines those are good numbers, I dug a .925 ladies cateye silver ring 3 weeks ago at a steady 66 from 2 directions 90 degrees apart. From the 40s to 91 (silver dollar) I dig.

I don't know about your nokta but maybe I see your point as I also have a racer 2 but I dig all 60s vdi on it.

Congrats again ,Barber half is still on my list.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I like that Barber half, worn or not a very nice dig. Your pile of trash looks like what I end up dumping out my pouch. Congrats to ya and GL out there.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread