Dig Those Shotgun Shell Signals! Two Dandy Buttons Mixed in with 11 Shell Casings!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the spot where I pulled out an old brass barrel tap key in the woods last week. The endless rain has saturated the ground, so the signals were really popping. Dug 11 shotgun shells casings, which rang up anywhere from 55 to 75. That would have been annoying, except I dug up two 1700's dandy buttons as well! Both have a design on them, which makes them really cool!

The best part is one of the buttons is a match to two other dandy buttons I found in 2014! I found those two in a field that's adjacent to the woods where I was hunting today. Finding three matching dandy buttons is a pretty rare feat, in my opinion. Not a bad day, but I still want to find the rest of that barrel tap! LOL!

DSC09586.JPG DSC09588.JPG DSC09591.JPG

Upvote 17

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds dig them just like pull tabs or you will miss many goodies

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! :icon_thumleft: I like the patterns on those buttons.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never tire of finding those big dandies. If I find only one button I always consider the day a success. Recently after 5 years of detecting one of those big buttons finally turned out to be a GW Inagural button. So ya never know....

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I always get excited when I dig a dandy button with a design on it. Always hoping for a GW, maybe even finding a button spill. You never know in New England...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Dandy buttons, congratulations! :occasion14:

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! found my first merc dime below half a dozen old shell ends, i can just imagine the guy out there plugging away and pullin shells outta his pocket and not noticing merc popping out and hitting the ground.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the spot where I pulled out an old brass barrel tap key in the woods last week. The endless rain has saturated the ground, so the signals were really popping. Dug 11 shotgun shells casings, which rang up anywhere from 55 to 75. That would have been annoying, except I dug up two 1700's dandy buttons as well! Both have a design on them, which makes them really cool!

The best part is one of the buttons is a match to two other dandy buttons I found in 2014! I found those two in a field that's adjacent to the woods where I was hunting today. Finding three matching dandy buttons is a pretty rare feat, in my opinion. Not a bad day, but I still want to find the rest of that barrel tap! LOL!

View attachment 1637560 View attachment 1637562 View attachment 1637563

Congrats and great story! Pretty amazing to find them years and a good distance apart. A month or so ago I found my first dandy ever. I knew right away It was a pretty special dandy as I've never seen one like it. I doubt I'll ever find a better one... until this weekend... I found another one of the exact same style! Within a few hundred feet of where I found the first one! Also rang up like a shotgun shell! I plan to make a post about it.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! The interesting thing about the buttons are their color variations. I believe that's mainly due to soil conditions. The black button was found in dark, rich soil at the bottom of a hill. The dark green one was found in sandy soil halfway up the hill. And the latest button was found in a wooded area full of evergreens. Must be acidic soil there, since it's very corroded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread