Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He saw my screen and was dying to know what what in his back yard. His house dates from the early thirties. Never one to say no to such a good opportunity, I went the next morning and started in. Unfortunately, there isn't much area that can be dug because he's got junk everywhere. This all came from an area about 6 feet by 8 feet and about 1 foot deep. Any deeper and it was hard-packed rocks and scrabble and way to hard to dig. Maybe this winter when it's wet.
0809221202.jpeg
0809221732.jpeg
0809221732c.jpeg

The key fob is from the Manx Hotel, S.F. Ca., built right after the 1906 earthquake/fire. It stands today. The thin hoop has a groove around the inside to hold something and tests 14k gold. The large disk in the center has a reeded edge like a dime :dontknow:.
The silver colored safety pin thingy has a patent date of 5-10-98.
0809221732b.jpeg
0809221732a.jpeg
0809221734.jpeg

The clock weight is pretty heavy and about 7.5 inches long. The thing with the handles looks like this wine uncorker.
0809221734a.jpeg
1660097897927.jpeg

It was fun, but hot and VERY dirty work. I was surprised not to find a single coin. Oh well, better go charge up the detector now!

Upvote 33

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
He saw my screen and was dying to know what what in his back yard. His house dates from the early thirties. Never one to say no to such a good opportunity, I went the next morning and started in. Unfortunately, there isn't much area that can be dug because he's got junk everywhere. This all came from an area about 6 feet by 8 feet and about 1 foot deep. Any deeper and it was hard-packed rocks and scrabble and way to hard to dig. Maybe this winter when it's wet.
View attachment 2041143 View attachment 2041145 View attachment 2041146
The key fob is from the Manx Hotel, S.F. Ca., built right after the 1906 earthquake/fire. It stands today. The thin hoop has a groove around the inside to hold something and tests 14k gold. The large disk in the center has a reeded edge like a dime :dontknow:.
View attachment 2041148 View attachment 2041149 View attachment 2041150
The clock weight is pretty heavy and about 7.5 inches long. The thing with the handles looks like this wine uncorker.
View attachment 2041151 View attachment 2041152

It was fun, but hot and VERY dirty work. I was surprised not to find a single coin. Oh well, better go charge up the detector now!
Wow thats from just sifting for relics. Never knew anyone to do that before apart from seeing it done on tv with archaeology digs!
That's great. No batteries required too ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My other question is HOW DID the guy HOLD his pants up . i mean he lost a LOT of SUSPENDER CLIPS LOL

C&SDiggers

Jun 29, 2022
That's an amazing haul for relics!! On some new property I recently purchased I have metal detected tons of old relics from d rings to buckles to buttons to harmonica reeds and shotgun head stamps(even a couple solid brass shell casings) and even some stirrups. I've been thinking about excavating and sifting to save time. There's a ton of "relics" still in the ground. From everything I've pulled out of the ground I'm guessing it was either town dump or farm dump, either way everything there has been broken or well used.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cool variety of finds, well done.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I think all the stuff found is due to the incinerator and then spreading the ashes. I find LOTS of places like this and am convinced that its due to trash burning. Did you find any old lead or white metal tubes...like what toothpast comes in?
NIce job and keepers and thanks for the post.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
img_7103_3.jpg
The thin hoop that is 14k is a part of a Lorgnette, a type of victorian era folding eyeglasses.
Incredible finds for such a small area!!!
Very cool, thanks for the I.D.! That one had me puzzled.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all the stuff found is due to the incinerator and then spreading the ashes. I find LOTS of places like this and am convinced that its due to trash burning. Did you find any old lead or white metal tubes...like what toothpast comes in?
NIce job and keepers and thanks for the post.
Yep, there's a lead tube top just below the doll in the second pic.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing haul for relics!! On some new property I recently purchased I have metal detected tons of old relics from d rings to buckles to buttons to harmonica reeds and shotgun head stamps(even a couple solid brass shell casings) and even some stirrups. I've been thinking about excavating and sifting to save time. There's a ton of "relics" still in the ground. From everything I've pulled out of the ground I'm guessing it was either town dump or farm dump, either way everything there has been broken or well used.
I think back then everybody in these little towns had a trash dump out back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread