ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh ... I always imagine when I am walking across a parking lot .. or street...

A strong box could be 2 foot below me. :P

I am sure most have been found and long ago spent...

The reason I say this is... many times here when the banks / state do unclaimed property auctions...

there are always treasure bars and coins... unclaimed.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also Doubt a Pirate would Raid a Ship, and Bury his Caches all over.
even if he has a Whore in every Port, He's going to Bury his Savings Bank where he aims to Retire. IF he aims to Retire. & keep his Spending money in his Pocket

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also Doubt a Pirate would Raid a Ship, and Bury his Caches all over.
even if he has a Whore in every Port, He's going to Bury his Savings Bank where he aims to Retire. IF he aims to Retire. & keep his Spending money in his Pocket

Well .... yes and no...

This is a long debate.

But all legends stem from truths. :)

They buried... ALL the time.

Same as everyone else.

Imagine the time(s)... no banks... no law... no security...

YOU with a huge pile of untraceable instant wealth...

YOU and THEM...

THEM being... the other guys who are willing to steal or worse to "get ahead".

IN a world of desperation and very little and VERY hard times.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ole pirates drinking every day and being drunks is STUPID when you really put reality on that Hollywood spin.

Reality is... errr especially WAS...

Very serious.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But of course there were the "idiots" or "screwup" pirates...

These individuals exist in everything everywhere... we do know this.

But they did not last long in "the game"... even with luck.

And pirates who were well accomplished and serious about what they have embarked on treated it as a business.

IF you were wasted or not "on point"... you were caught and hanged.

Ok... one more thing...

Burying things of great value was almost like a possible "get out of jail or being killed" card.

They knew... upon their possible capture...

This could be used as a "bargaining chip".

The location of a treasure has saved many a man from the gallows pole.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well .... yes and no...

This is a long debate.

But all legends stem from truths. :)

They buried... ALL the time.

Same as everyone else.

Imagine the time(s)... no banks... no law... no security...

YOU with a huge pile of untraceable instant wealth...

YOU and THEM...

THEM being... the other guys who are willing to steal or worse to "get ahead".

IN a world of desperation and very little and VERY hard times.

Yes but How often would they Plan to Return to the Same Port ?
I Suppose They may may have Left some at each port as Spending money in case they fell on Hard times.
But like the" footpad" of the 19th Century. Would be Small Caches, By a Tree or Boulder .

Stiill If one planned to Retire,I Think He would have a Ground Bank somewhere that he could add to

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Suppose what it comes down to is How many Pirates were there ?

It wasn't just Kidd, Just like it wasn't Just Bonnie & Clyde . or Jesse
Can't place everything on One Brain's Thoughts.
Each thought Differently.

But I'll wager they were All Lazy & Hated Digging Holes !

& very few Owned a Shovel if any.

Non owned a Dragline !

Last edited:

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know of the area history and any story of pirates buried treasure in Green cove would be a tall tale. There was civil war activity but no gold involved. All the pirate booty is either in Fernandina/Amelia isle or St augustine FL.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ! forgot about this thread. :)

Twas a good one.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of the area history and any story of pirates buried treasure in Green cove would be a tall tale. There was civil war activity but no gold involved. All the pirate booty is either in Fernandina/Amelia isle or St augustine FL.

Um... you've narrowed it down ehh ? ? ? :)

I for one am not familiar with anything buried OR even rumored to have been buried in St, Augustine... which remember was under Spanish rule... who were notorious for stashing in existing spots... rarely in legend did they bury... secreted yes... bury... no... and Pirate activity did not exist there.

Little more to it than that... stashes have been located all over Florida over the past 100 years... and many more lie in wait... most under parking lots... golf courses... buildings etc.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn keyboard and speel check/// !

LOL. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that "speel check///" gets, even after editing.

Sheesh ... I always imagine when I am walking across a parking lot .. or street...

A strong box could be 2 foot below me. :P

I am sure most have been found and long ago spent...

The reason I say this is... many times here when the banks / state do unclaimed property auctions...

there are always treasure bars and coins... unclaimed.

I do think like that when walking around Vero.
Speaking of such, are you going to be in West Palm later this month (March)?
It's been two years since the last one, kind of like a delayed Spanish Plata fleet. :icon_thumright:

..... Little more to it than that... stashes have been located all over Florida over the past 100 years... most under parking lots... golf courses... buildings etc.

Or even ships deep under buildings.
One guy I was talking to said he wants to be around when they demo a certain commercial building on the west side of A1A. It's only about 35 years old so it probably won't be in our lifetime though. He said ship timbers came up during construction! My timing would have to be perfect like Bart's.:notworthy:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS...

There are definitely some off limit permissions i would drink sand for...

I have been eyeballing / waiting for possible permissions... parking lot tear outs permissions... and a multitude of areas and certain spots that at present time are not accessible.

But i am patient... and will wait for the right owner or situation to arise in my eyes.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience pays.....I waited for 10 years for the county to pull the bricks and concrete off my U.S.1. spot here in the keys. I got some treasure, some got taken away in the spoils, and some is still there on site buried under asphalt and bricks.....I don't think a person in the keys doubts me now. There's much more to be found in florida !! 2021 has been stellar so far for a few of us Florida hunters. I know of 2 more incredible finds in the last few months on the treasure coast.....renourishment sand did not make a difference, and certain spots are producing right in the trench.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never let someone tell you that the little voice in your head is wrong....they can't here the conversation your having with that little voice in your head.....my little voice is almost always right.....it just took me half a lifetime to trust the voice with 100% confidence !! That voice could have helped me with the ladies had i listened earlier in life !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um... you've narrowed it down ehh ? ? ? :)

I for one am not familiar with anything buried OR even rumored to have been buried in St, Augustine... which remember was under Spanish rule... who were notorious for stashing in existing spots... rarely in legend did they bury... secreted yes... bury... no... and Pirate activity did not exist there.

Little more to it than that... stashes have been located all over Florida over the past 100 years... and many more lie in wait... most under parking lots... golf courses... buildings etc.
Here is what most people overlook....its not the pirates that buried there coinage....it was the civilian population fleeing a pirate attack that hastily buried there fortunes while fleeing the pirates attacks on there towns. St.augatine has more than one story of this kind of panicked retreat. So I know for certain that monks buried a large silver church bell in st.augustine. I have my hunches on this one from researching certain old maps. My first permission would be the property just north of the fort.....very beautiful, and expensive home. I've thought about knocking and asking ?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience pays.....I waited for 10 years for the county to pull the bricks and concrete off my U.S.1. spot here in the keys. I got some treasure, some got taken away in the spoils, and some is still there on site buried under asphalt and bricks.....I don't think a person in the keys doubts me now. There's much more to be found in florida !! 2021 has been stellar so far for a few of us Florida hunters. I know of 2 more incredible finds in the last few months on the treasure coast.....renourishment sand did not make a difference, and certain spots are producing right in the trench.

Really good to hear that the re-nourishment hasn't adversely affected the quality of the finds for some. They have finished up the work south of McClarty but next fall they do Turtle trail/Seagrape area and I'll be bumming. From what I understand they don't have permission to do the area south of Turtle Trail.

Never let someone tell you that the little voice in your head is wrong....they can't here the conversation your having with that little voice in your head.....my little voice is almost always right.....it just took me half a lifetime to trust the voice with 100% confidence !! That voice could have helped me with the ladies had i listened earlier in life !!

LOL.
But you're exactly where you are supposed to be. If anything else changed you might have ended up in a different situation with someone in .... Alaska! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread