Digging in an old cemetery today .. Found some nice goodies!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I retired from the my construction business, I have taken up my second job that I have been doing for years.
I do gravestone restoration, and prior to Memorial Day I went to a local church cemetery that has been neglected over the years.
Of the twenty three military markers and stone, there were 16 that needed to be re-set and one that was broken and needed to be repaired.
I did this for no pay. While I was working, someone stopped to pay their respect and asked if I would be willing to find some old stones in an abandoned cemetery. First I had to clear a bunch of brush and trees. Today I started probing and digging in an area where some old stone bases were scattered.
These are my finds for the day.
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.11.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.11.41 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.12.12 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.12.45 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.13.06 PM.jpg

Upvote 79

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I retired from the my construction business, I have taken up my second job that I have been doing for years.
I do gravestone restoration, and prior to Memorial Day I went to a local church cemetery that has been neglected over the years.
Of the twenty three military markers and stone, there were 16 that needed to be re-set and one that was broken and needed to be repaired.
I did this for no pay. While I was working, someone stopped to pay their respect and asked if I would be willing to find some old stones in an abandoned cemetery. First I had to clear a bunch of brush and trees. Today I started probing and digging in an area where some old stone bases were scattered.
These are my finds for the day. View attachment 2029969 View attachment 2029970 View attachment 2029971 View attachment 2029972 View attachment 2029973
Creskol you have my admiration and thank you for taking an interest

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my finds for the day. View attachment 2029969 View attachment 2029970 View attachment 2029971 View attachment 2029972 View attachment 2029973
Very Cool!!!
Good Job!!!

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks very old , is it dated ? I don't know how you found all that probing , you have a great deal of patience . the heat is on in central Va , be careful
For every piece I found, I probably dug a dozen random rocks. It was quite time consuming, but will hopefully be worth the effort in the end. I probably drank 1/2 an Igloo cooler of water today.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Good work, must be satisfying. Do you use epoxy to bond the cracks in the broken ones?
Yes.. I use a special epoxy formulated for the purpose called Akepox 5010. It is the most popular and preferred epoxy for repairing historic tablet gravestones. It is clear and UV stable and will never yellow. It is also extremely strong.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you…! Awesome!
Two friends of mine do same thing.
One does Native American cemeteries
A galant job, but usually thankless unfortunately…!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For every piece I found, I probably dug a dozen random rocks. It was quite time consuming, but will hopefully be worth the effort in the end. I probably drank 1/2 an Igloo cooler of water today.
2 1/2 or 5 gallon cooler! Seriously,good work,you deserve a kudo for a job well done,that most people never think of needing to be done.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're a good man for helping to clean up and restore some dignity to this forgotten cemetery creskol. :goldmedalred: :thumbsup:

Occasionally I'll walk through old cemeteries in the country reading about folks and their stories on the headstones.

It always strikes a chord in me when I find a child's headstone explaining how they died by their parents. :sadsmiley:
Dave

Last edited:

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome you did that. I know where an abandoned Odd Fellows cemetery is and it is an area cattle graze on. Went to it most the grave stone where knocked over and weeds grown all over. Took the time to place the ones I could back where they were supposed to be and removed all the weeds around the stones that I could. I figure it this way these people mattered to someone so what was taking a little time from my day at least making things a little better in that cemetery

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JVA5th GOOD JOB ALSO AND thank you for your efforts !!
Pictures would be nice ;)
If I ever get back over there I'll take pictures of it. It is a neat little cemetery. I hope someone starts taking care of it so many of the grave sites new repairs that I don't have the ability to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread