Digging in an old cemetery today .. Found some nice goodies!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I retired from the my construction business, I have taken up my second job that I have been doing for years.
I do gravestone restoration, and prior to Memorial Day I went to a local church cemetery that has been neglected over the years.
Of the twenty three military markers and stone, there were 16 that needed to be re-set and one that was broken and needed to be repaired.
I did this for no pay. While I was working, someone stopped to pay their respect and asked if I would be willing to find some old stones in an abandoned cemetery. First I had to clear a bunch of brush and trees. Today I started probing and digging in an area where some old stone bases were scattered.
These are my finds for the day.
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.11.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.11.41 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.12.12 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.12.45 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.13.06 PM.jpg

Upvote 79

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JV your a good person you can hunt with me any time !!
Also not quite sure if I'm supposed to be in the area lol. I was told where it was and checked it out. But I couldn't help but to not leave the place in such disregard it was such a shame. The cattle had just ruined it

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Creskol, great Job, always wanted to do that, I'd do it for free, I'll be retiring in two years at 70, we have some old ones in family plots, my town goes back to 1632​

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Creskol, great work! Your post title made me gasp..What? in a cemetery? I can appreciate what you do as I am doing the same here..working on repairing the historic cemeteries…Unfortunately the ethics and morals keep me out of detecting cemeteries and also eats in to detecting time but it is satisfying to see the repairs. We have used Akepox 2030 and 5030 but haven’t tried the 5010 yet. We use lithomex for the infill. Our current project has too many missing pieces and we are planning an laying it flat in sand and stone with a brick border, hoping more pieces will turn up. No lick with probing. Jon Appel from Atlas Preservation will be here in July. He is doing the 48 state tour again and running a D/2 cleaning contest. Thanks for your hard work! It was so interesting to see we have a couple of commin interests!

Attachments

• 9BD75D73-0D10-4458-B4DF-87BACEDF6CFE.jpeg
    9BD75D73-0D10-4458-B4DF-87BACEDF6CFE.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 34

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underwonder your a great person also. Let me thank you for your restotation work as well. Your Eagle 2 detector . Is that a Eagle II SL ? IO used to have a EAGLE II SL 30 years ago and it was a fantastic machine.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Creskol, great work! Your post title made me gasp..What? in a cemetery? I can appreciate what you do as I am doing the same here..working on repairing the historic cemeteries…Unfortunately the ethics and morals keep me out of detecting cemeteries and also eats in to detecting time but it is satisfying to see the repairs. We have used Akepox 2030 and 5030 but haven’t tried the 5010 yet. We use lithomex for the infill. Our current project has too many missing pieces and we are planning an laying it flat in sand and stone with a brick border, hoping more pieces will turn up. No lick with probing. Jon Appel from Atlas Preservation will be here in July. He is doing the 48 state tour again and running a D/2 cleaning contest. Thanks for your hard work! It was so interesting to see we have a couple of commin interests!
I don't metal detect in a cemetery either. I do use a probe to locate unmarked graves and to find stones that have become buried over the past 100 years or so.

PickTime

Jun 17, 2022
FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Retired and inspired, good combination. Thanks for taking us along on such an important mission. I remember going with my grandparents to the cemetery clean-up days. We would hoe, mow, rake, and pull weeds. There were several families that participated and all brought food and drinks. everyone would gather for lunch after the work was through. Great memories.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder your a great person also. Let me thank you for your restotation work as well. Your Eagle 2 detector . Is that a Eagle II SL ? IO used to have a EAGLE II SL 30 years ago and it was a fantastic machine.
Thanks, Gare. Restoration work is interesting. Yes..an Eagle II SL. I bought it used with Jimmy Sierra’s “Bigfoot” and use it without changing coils on the White’s XLT Spectum. I haven’t used it in a few years though since getting the Equinox.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Retired and inspired, good combination. Thanks for taking us along on such an important mission. I remember going with my grandparents to the cemetery clean-up days. We would hoe, mow, rake, and pull weeds. There were several families that participated and all brought food and drinks. everyone would gather for lunch after the work was through. Great memories.
I have picked up a lot of glass trash but in doing so have found old and intact whiskey bottles and a couple of salt shakers!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't metal detect in a cemetery either. I do use a probe to locate unmarked graves and to find stones that have become buried over the past 100 years or so.
Yes…finding missing stones or pieces of stones with the probe is as satisfying as detecting to me! Sometimes they are just inches down.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you interested in selling the Eagle II sl ?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you interested in selling the Eagle II sl ?
Thanks for asking but still want to keep it as a back up. You’ve been detecting a long time! Missing your Eagle II ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread