Digging in an old cemetery today .. Found some nice goodies!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I retired from the my construction business, I have taken up my second job that I have been doing for years.
I do gravestone restoration, and prior to Memorial Day I went to a local church cemetery that has been neglected over the years.
Of the twenty three military markers and stone, there were 16 that needed to be re-set and one that was broken and needed to be repaired.
I did this for no pay. While I was working, someone stopped to pay their respect and asked if I would be willing to find some old stones in an abandoned cemetery. First I had to clear a bunch of brush and trees. Today I started probing and digging in an area where some old stone bases were scattered.
These are my finds for the day.
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.11.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.11.41 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.12.12 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.12.45 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.13.06 PM.jpg

Upvote 79

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
creskol, thank you for sharing your hard work with us! I have been on Treasurenet for 5 years now and I had no idea that you, or anyone else, did this type of restoration. I own an abandoned cemetery and I am in charge of the maintenance. Mostly, mowing and weeding. I have no idea nor the confidence to repair the broken headstones. Because of this thread, I am gleaning information on the how to. Thanks so much.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
creskol, thank you for sharing your hard work with us! I have been on Treasurenet for 5 years now and I had no idea that you, or anyone else, did this type of restoration. I own an abandoned cemetery and I am in charge of the maintenance. Mostly, mowing and weeding. I have no idea nor the confidence to repair the broken headstones. Because of this thread, I am gleaning information on the how to. Thanks so much.
Thank you for mowing and weeding. That is always a super help in maintaining historical cemeteries!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can use it for the interior voids, but I'm not sure it would work for the pieces missing along the perimeter. It is a great product. though!
8417E2E7-3752-43EE-BF8E-7E6BA40FF391.jpeg

This is one that we repaired and reset in the base…but had 2 missing pieces (one on each side) that we filled in.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. Here is one I am trying to find all the pieces to. Hopefully I can find more pieces probing so I can complete the restoration and re-set the stone. View attachment 2029986
I finished the restoration on this gravestone today. All-in-all, I think it turned out pretty good. I dusted the name to bring it out, but there are no dates. However, my research shows this to be Mrs. Texas Spears born April 16, 1874 and died June 28, 1937.
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 8.11.15 PM.jpg

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Arizona and the great southwest!
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Fisher F-Pulse Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I retired from the my construction business, I have taken up my second job that I have been doing for years.
I do gravestone restoration, and prior to Memorial Day I went to a local church cemetery that has been neglected over the years.
Of the twenty three military markers and stone, there were 16 that needed to be re-set and one that was broken and needed to be repaired.
I did this for no pay. While I was working, someone stopped to pay their respect and asked if I would be willing to find some old stones in an abandoned cemetery. First I had to clear a bunch of brush and trees. Today I started probing and digging in an area where some old stone bases were scattered.
These are my finds for the day. View attachment 2029969 View attachment 2029970 View attachment 2029971 View attachment 2029972 View attachment 2029973

I applaud 👏 you sir!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for asking but still want to keep it as a back up. You’ve been detecting a long time! Missing your Eagle II ?
It is probably one of the first machines i did well with

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your respect for those who have come before us. It makes me sad to see cemeteries neglected and fallen gravestones left on the ground.

Reminds me of what my mother said shortly before she died. "I'm not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of being forgotten. Never forget me." There's nothing worse than being forgotten after your gone.

It makes me sad that I run into so many neglected cemeteries in my area. No one seems to care and everyone in there has obviously been forgotten...

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
View attachment 2033337
This is one that we repaired and reset in the base…but had 2 missing pieces (one on each side) that we filled in.
That headstone looks amazing! What awesome work you folks are doing- preserving these cemeteries.
What part of RI are you in? I have family near Matunuck. I want to do some swingin' on their property soon!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creskol i are so proud of you THANKS !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread