Digging in Estonia Chronicles: Digger Beware

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
Went out on a short evening/night hunt to a field I’ve hit about 5 times before. The field has a very rocky bottom and I usually have to put some weight on the shovel to push through the rocks. We call this the “Echos of War”, and it’s something I try my best to stay away from…ironically this field had no indication of it being a battle site (no cartridges, shell fragments or any other battle related items). Well I get a signal, hop on my shovel a few times cutting out a plug, it was dark at that point and I think I’m holding the edge of a smooth rock, stick a shovel under it and push up….and this falls out (WW2 German Mortar Shell). Authorities in these parts get about 9000 calls like this a year, and are pretty good at taking care of these things. Stay safe out there.

Attachments

• ABFC36F5-E853-4DD1-9C1A-22274A315107.jpeg
    ABFC36F5-E853-4DD1-9C1A-22274A315107.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 171
  • 7960F535-F31B-4386-A138-86A02EF724C2.jpeg
    7960F535-F31B-4386-A138-86A02EF724C2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
Upvote 13

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out on a short evening/night hunt to a field I’ve hit about 5 times before. The field has a very rocky bottom and I usually have to put some weight on the shovel to push through the rocks. We call this the “Echos of War”, and it’s something I try my best to stay away from…ironically this field had no indication of it being a battle site (no cartridges, shell fragments or any other battle related items). Well I get a signal, hop on my shovel a few times cutting out a plug, it was dark at that point and I think I’m holding the edge of a smooth rock, stick a shovel under it and push up….and this falls out (WW2 German Mortar Shell). Authorities in these parts get about 9000 calls like this a year, and are pretty good at taking care of these things. Stay safe out there.
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice find there. I was a little nervous finding something like that in the daylight, I think finding it in the dark has a higher pucker factor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread