Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I dug a small exploratory test hole into a trash deposit on the site of a tavern/inn that was active from the 1830s into the 1860s. I have found a large cent, a half cent, a two cent, a flying eagle, fatty IHPs, and a seated dime, along with other relics from the period, but I have exhausted all the targets accessible by surface hunting. Here is the hole I opened up.
attachment.php

At about a foot down, there is a layer of broken ceramics about 8 inches deep. I like to save the colorful pieces to put in display cases.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I was only able to recover one good metallic target, a large cent with a glob of iron fused to it.
attachment.php
attachment.php

It took a little work to remove the iron encrustation from the LC, but I got it to the point where it's recognizable.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Here is my hole sewed back up. I will return in the winter months with a tarp and open a larger area.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Hole Open.jpg
    Hole Open.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 637
  • Pottery 1.jpg
    Pottery 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 591
  • Pottery 2.jpg
    Pottery 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 589
  • China shards.jpg
    China shards.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 585
  • LC in Dirt Clod.jpg
    LC in Dirt Clod.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 575
  • LC in Iron.jpg
    LC in Iron.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 571
  • Dirty LC 2.jpg
    Dirty LC 2.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 569
  • Dirty LC 1.jpg
    Dirty LC 1.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 577
  • LC front.jpg
    LC front.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 575
  • LC back.jpg
    LC back.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 569
  • Hole closed.jpg
    Hole closed.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Upvote 51

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your intuition paid off. Lots of cool artifacts. I always wonder how many quality targets are masked at old sites. We took a Merc and buried it 4 inches at one of our cellar hole sites this weekend and our detectors could not pick it up. Too much iron, rust and minerals.

Nice LC, congrats!!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your intuition paid off. Lots of cool artifacts. I always wonder how many quality targets are masked at old sites. We took a Merc and buried it 4 inches at one of our cellar hole sites this weekend and our detectors could not pick it up. Too much iron, rust and minerals.

Nice LC, congrats!!
Actually I discovered this trash deposit a while back chasing deep piece of iron that turned out to be an axe head. The large cent was about 1.5 feet deep. That's an interesting experiment you did with the merc in the trashy area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All those shards look nice laid out. A very promising site, will you be screening?
Not with my sifter, although my brother did eyeball a nice gun flint in the last test hole we opened up. I'll probably get my brother to help me again and he can go through the dirt as I throw it on the tarp.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a dream site, can you imagine being allowed to skim off a 6" layer of dirt over the entire site and detect the whole area? Then scrape off another 6" and detect again, keep working your way down?!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great work and post! I'm looking forward to seeing what you find when you widen that up with the tarp- Good luck!!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool. Would be cool to scrape that place all down to the bottom layer.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a dream site, can you imagine being allowed to skim off a 6" layer of dirt over the entire site and detect the whole area? Then scrape off another 6" and detect again, keep working your way down?!
That would be nice, but it is a mowed area right beside a road. I will be cutting small sections of sod, peeling them back, digging down until I hit clay, then pouring the dirt back in and replacing the sod. .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread