Digging steel wheat cents

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many here dig steel pennies?

I have dug probably a half dozen over last few years, but never dug any before that. All but one were found buried with a copper wheat cent. I still cant explain how I dug that one solo steely. It was a penny target but when i dug there was nothing in the dirt but a single steel cent which registered as iron as would be expected.

I dug another one yesterday. 2fer cent target, one copper one steel. I still get a kick every time I dig one of these up.

20171016_150256.jpg

I did notice that the copper cent was in really great shape. The steely must have acted as a sacrificial anode

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've only dug one that I can identify as a steel wheatie. there a a few more that are possible . the one i could identify was found with another penny

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, I dug 2 last year, both part of wheat spills. That one lone one you detected may have had a deeper copper or silver coin a couple inches below it. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I dug 2 last year, both part of wheat spills. That one lone one you detected may have had a deeper copper or silver coin a couple inches below it. :dontknow:

Nope, that was my first thought; there HAD to be something else there. I even dug wider and deeper just in case the hole was messing with the detection. Nothing from the detector and not a peep from the pinpointer. Closest theory I could come up with was that it an iron false. Most falses are easy to determine, a few fool us as perfect coin targets. Maybe that was one of those perfect falses that just turned out to be a coin?

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
I find those in those in the coinstar reject slot quit
often at work.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20171018_172950.jpg

Lol, look what my wife brought home from work today. I guess I'm supposed to have a steel cent. This one looks a lot better than the one I dug!

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dammit Jason! Now I am gonna have to dig ALL of my signals. You just provided me with a legitimate reason for not discriminating out iron.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dammit Jason! Now I am gonna have to dig ALL of my signals. You just provided me with a legitimate reason for not discriminating out iron.

Heres my tip.... any hole you dig a wheaty in, dig any remaining iron targets there with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread