Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past 6 weeks I've done pretty well with my silver and pewter scrap hunting. Thankfully my Goodwill isn't good at screening out silver so I tend to have luck finding cheap candle holders and the like, but big heavy pieces sometimes show up too. Last year I got a German .800 silver platter weighing 1126 grams for 4 bucks and in June scored this big Revere style Sterling fruit bowl weighing 952 grams (pictured scale has 5g increments) that was also just 4 bucks. Monogrammed and damaged so I won't feel bad turning it back into bullion.

KIMG1397~2.JPG

I checked again yesterday and found a few hundred bucks worth of old books but no silver, so I hit the antique mall which has produced well in the past and scored 4 silver items at good prices, the best being this 358 gram Danish bowl with the 3-tower assay mark with date which I guess most people don't understand indicates a 826/1000 fineness. $10 is more than Goodwill would charge but I can't complain.

KIMG1676~2.JPG
KIMG1677~2.JPG

A few weeks ago I hit my first estate sale in a long time, afternoon of day 2 and 1/2 off so I wasn't expecting much. Saw some weighted Gorham candle holders for $100 on a table marked "not half off" so figured I wouldn't find anything for the scrap pile but upstairs sandwiched between kitschy bicentennial china plates was this sterling Tiffany piece weighing 274g I would have been happy to pay the $2 for but which was just a buck.

KIMG1551~2.JPG

Not really worth picturing is 10lbs of pewter (tin is in global shortage and will probably perform extremely well this decade) and around 600g of stripped .800 and sterling handles, spoons and doodads accumulated in the same time.

I'll keep the nice Danish bowl in my antique silver treasure hoard but have the rest refined, .9999 ingots take up less space and are much more liquid.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and that Danish piece is particularly nice.

OP
OP
Plumbata

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I think the Danish piece is from 1951 but polishing over the years has worn the mark down a bit. The repousse or chasing is all done by hand which gives it great character.

I went out again yesterday and found a big old handmade 8lb Sheffield plate silver over copper 18" long turkey or meat cover for $4 at a thrift store, don't think I've seen one in the wild before. Can't find any maker's marks but it's hand hammered and tinned on the interior, pretty sure it's from the 1800s.

KIMG1681~2.JPG

Nabbed some more sterling from an antique store too, the 134 gram asparagus tongs were $25+tax and sterling handled cake server $4. I needed some nice big tongs like these for my "collection" (Viking booty hoard) but the handle is for the scrap pile. We all prefer the cheapest scores but I really can't resist anything priced at half or less of spot.

KIMG1679~2.JPG

Good luck and happy hunting!

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest: