🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new aluminum tank end of 2019 and had filled
never took it out due to health issues -
question - should air still be good or should i empty and re fill ?

Should I empty and refill Spare air tank on a regular basis?
its only for emergencies - if you never have one (emergency that is)
... do they slowly lose their air or does air in them get stale?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not use.

tanks need to have visual inspections every year and hydro static inspections every 5 years.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capser... do not "empty" ever.

Always keep a min of 300 lbs + is best.

Also i am not sure "how" you stored them...

Dont store laying down.. dont store directly on concrete... use plastic pads or some other non quick temp changing "buffer" between floor and tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is my older tank (not that old - like 4 yrs) - my new one took its place and i have not used yet
and is like this but 4ft off the floor on a table in my garage

set up as SNUBA- 30ft hose - i have a huge dive flag i attach
I wear a Spare Air bottle on my chest

Last edited:
Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.php

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not use.

tanks need to have visual inspections every year and hydro static inspections every 5 years.

I have gotten tanks inspected in past - havent "gone under" since Fall of 2019
plan on dropping them off soon to get checked (got 3 now) so I can possibly get under before waters get cold
- just didnt know on the new one if it needed to be discharged and refilled

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking of getting a Nemo or Nomad
I got a bunch of places - old ones - that had piers, platforms, slides and or diving boards in deeper waters
that may be gold mines - just never have the time to go
used to use hookahs but a pain to get from parking lots to water with them and all gear needed
takes 70lbs of weight to keep me on the bottom - not fun walking with that much on 300 yrds to the water

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten tanks inspected in past - havent "gone under" since Fall of 2019
plan on dropping them off soon to get checked (got 3 now) so I can possibly get under before waters get cold
- just didnt know on the new one if it needed to be discharged and refilled

I would go ahead and get it checked anyway... better to spend a few bucks doing it for the peace of mind.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I would go ahead and get it checked anyway... better to spend a few bucks doing it for the peace of mind.

Good perspective! I had bad air once on a charter in Mexico. Not an awesome experience on what should have been a straight forward dive. I learned to dive in tougher conditions (Ontario) but chumming the water through my regulators at depth is not for the faint of heart.

Deesherman

Aug 23, 2018
Palm Bay,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new aluminum tank end of 2019 and had filled
never took it out due to health issues -
question - should air still be good or should i empty and re fill ?

Should I empty and refill Spare air tank on a regular basis?
its only for emergencies - if you never have one (emergency that is)
... do they slowly lose their air or does air in them get stale?

thanks in advance
You need to do the annual VIP on any tank and that usually includes an air fill

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Im thinking of getting a Nemo or Nomad
I got a bunch of places - old ones - that had piers, platforms, slides and or diving boards in deeper waters
that may be gold mines - just never have the time to go
used to use hookahs but a pain to get from parking lots to water with them and all gear needed
takes 70lbs of weight to keep me on the bottom - not fun walking with that much on 300 yrds to the water
Wow,Casper.70#? Whoooooeee.Those Lead Belts are horrrible,I hate them.I'm about 135# 5'8".and I cannot imagine why it takes me 18# to get on the bottom with my Hookah.,I thought I had it bad!(maybe hollow Bones,like a Pelican?) I saw a Video of that One Guy in the River.He had a 20# Barbell on a Rope to pull himself along.Still gotta' carry the Damned thing to the Waters Edge!

I'm going to try and build a Cart for the Hookah,and Weight Belt.Minimal,with Two Wheels that lift off/out, once you get to Sand.And there would be Sled/Skid Plate for on the Sand. stoneshirt........

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're handy, a good winter project would be to design a raft out of materials that won't rot or rust in the shape of a boat, 5-6ft. in length that would easily float with 2-300 lbs. . The. balloon wheels would be designed to swing up out of the water once they are no longer touching bottom. a PVC frame with nylon netting. A raft light enough for one person to handle. I would think you could put enough scuba gear for two people. Tanks,weight belts,masks,fins and everything else and pull it from the parking lot into the water. Much easier to gear up waist deep in the water rather than in the parking lot for sure. You would anchor it some where. Maybe put a dive flag on it to keep nosy people away.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
If you're handy, a good winter project would be to design a raft out of materials that won't rot or rust in the shape of a boat, 5-6ft. in length that would easily float with 2-300 lbs. . The. balloon wheels would be designed to swing up out of the water once they are no longer touching bottom. a PVC frame with nylon netting. A raft light enough for one person to handle. I would think you could put enough scuba gear for two people. Tanks,weight belts,masks,fins and everything else and pull it from the parking lot into the water. Much easier to gear up waist deep in the water rather than in the parking lot for sure. You would anchor it some where. Maybe put a dive flag on it to keep nosy people away.
Hi. That's all well and Good Tom,but for me,there's is no "Parking Lot."...I haven't driven in 6 Yrs.Jaja.I live about 4 Blocks from the Beach.Taxis are cheap,but I walk it for my health.Up till now all I was burdened with was my EX-Cal,and my scoop.Now that I have built me a Hookah,I must accessorize, with the everyday Accoutrements.Fins,Mask Snorkel,Weight Belt,Digging Tools,and I got me one of those Nokta Pulse Dives PI.......Dive Flag....Ha.I don't think these Colombians even know what a Dive Flag is.But I will fly the Jolly Roger.!...I lived in Goa India for awhile,and One Time I had just finished doing a Little Snorkeling, and was sunning myself on a Rock..The god's truth...A Family stopped and pointed to the Mask,Fins and Snorkel,and asked "What are these for,Sir."Hard to imagine in these Times to be so isolated,but they have a good life,being not so Worldly.Don't you think.?...stoneshirt

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Air is filled bad, it doesnt go bad, unless its a helium mixture in which case helium can escape over time. Visual inspecting is to check for corrosion or cracks, to determine if its safe to fill.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air is filled bad, it doesnt go bad, unless its a helium mixture in which case helium can escape over time. Visual inspecting is to check for corrosion or cracks, to determine if its safe to fill.
No expert diver worth his or her weight in salt would use air over a year old.

After all... there IS a reason why tanks are inspected EVERY year.

When it comes to something as IMPORTANT AS AIR ... It is ALWAYS better to err on the side of caution.

And in my humble opinion... advice given here should reflect this.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Furthermore...

If you read tank manuals...

A. NORMAL SERVICE. The visual inspection of every scuba cylinder should take place at least once every twelve months, or at any opportune time under twelve months15. Some scuba cylinders need more frequent visual inspection, as indicated below. B. HEAVY SERVICE. If the cylinder is used in heavy service then it should be inspected every four months. “Heavy service” means any one or more of the following: 1. Cylinders being filled or “topped off” five or more times per week; 2. Rental cylinders in use during the ‘season’ and ‘off-season’ times; 3. Cylinders used wherever damage is more likely than in normal use or where the care and/or maintenance is slightly below recommended care.4 C. KNOWN CONDITION. If the cylinder is known to have had any unusual treatment or condition, it should be immediately visually inspected, prior to its next use. “Unusual treatment or condition” means if the cylinder: 1. Dropped, fell, was struck, was in an accident, or when the care and maintenance of the cylinder is obviously poor; 2. Was stored improperly4 and shows signs of damage; 3. Has obvious corrosion since the last visual inspection; 4. Has a gouge, dent, scrape, cut, dig or, in any way, has been damaged since the last visual inspection; 5. Was stored with water, material or matter inside the cylinder; 6. Shows signs of exposure to fire or high heat, including any one or more of the following: a. Charring or blistering of the paint or other protective coating; b. Melting or charring of the metal; c. Distortion of the cylinder and/or any cylinder accessory; d. Melting of fuse plugs, valve handwheel, valve protector, and/or any other valve component or cylinder accessory; 7. Has been partially or fully repainted or treated to hide damage and/or fire damage; 8. Is known or suspected to be leaking; or, 9. Is known or suspected of having a crack. Inspectors should be familiar with all conditions that could CONDEMN a Gas Cylinders scuba cylinder from further use. WARNING: Should an incident occur that could damage a cylinder, the cylinder should be immediately taken out of service, inspected and if needed, condemned.

NEVER: • use a cylinder past its retest date.

Storage - Short term: Tightly close the cylinder valve. Leave some pressure in the cylinder. Secure cylinder and assembly from rolling loose, tipping over or falling. Store at room temperature in a dry place. Long term: Prior to prolonged storage, the valve should be removed from the empty cylinder. Wash the cylinder internally and externally with fresh tap water, then thoroughly dry (inside and out). Install the valve using a small amount of Dow 111 Lubricant on the threads following the valve manufacturer’s recommended valve installation procedures. Replace the O-ring if the manufacturer recommends it. Store valved cylinder at room temperature in dry conditions either upright or horizontal, but never inverted, with some positive pressure in the cylinder (not less than 20 psig). Never store a cylinder near heat or in a place likely to get artificially hot.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No expert diver worth his or her weight in salt would use air over a year old.

After all... there IS a reason why tanks are inspected EVERY year.

When it comes to something as IMPORTANT AS AIR ... It is ALWAYS better to err on the side of caution.

And in my humble opinion... advice given here should reflect this.

?? The video said exactly what I said.

All of the things you quoted have to do with the risks of filling a damaged tank.

The air is fine. You can use it, then come back and get a visual when you get it refilled.

Or you can make an extra trip to the dive store, wait around for a visual, and pay for an extra fill.

Up to you. You know how the tank was stored and can make the determination as to whether or not it has been abused, ie: left in the hot sun for long periods of time with a full fill, left in a wet area where corrosion is a problem, etc. Honestly the biggest risk of a tank which sat for a year or two in a safe place is that the valve leaks and the tank o-ring is bad, and could fail. It's the expansion and contraction of filling which wears out a tank.

Spent years doing deep cave exploration (350ft+) on mixed gas btw. Guess what we filled our mixed gas tanks with? Old helium! Nobody is draining helium cylinders every year for a visual.

But you do what makes you comfortable thats really what matters because anyone can call the dive at any time for any reason!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?? The video said exactly what I said.

The air is fine. You can use it, then come back and get a visual when you get it refilled.

Or you can make an extra trip to the dive store, wait around for a video, and pay for an extra fill.

Up to you. You know how the tank was stored and can make the determination.

Spent years doing deep cave exploration (350ft+) on mixed gas btw.

But you do what makes you comfortable thats really what matters.
What makes me comfortable is knowing that the air i am breathing is the best possible air i can get.
If that requires even more trips to the water shop to ensure... then so be it... for it sure beats ONE trip to the ER or a long term trip due to some other weird.

I know the probability is very ... even very very low... unless i have to... a tank that has been sitting for over 2 years and has moved locations etc etc... like Casper stated in OP... then ME... i'm off to shop... over due anyway. heh

Also...

PER tank manufactures recommendations... IF that / those tanks were often used and THEN sat for that period... they should be definitely checked in my book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread