DIY Gold Cube competior - for under $100.00

Rick-SAR

May 26, 2011
A friend of mine built this and put it on YouTube https://youtu.be/BpapSb-Bscg he calls it the "Gold Tube".

The YouTube video is a demonstration. The Gold Tube cost around $100, including bilge pump. Great for the weekend prospector. It is made primarily using PVC pipe. This is a wet system suitable for recirculating or stream applications. Recovers approximately 99% of gold down to 50 mesh, and +/- 95% of the minus 50 mesh gold. VERY EASY to empty concentrates.

• As a test He ran material with a measured amount of gold (different sizes down to -50)though the system. After he ran it, he ran the tailings though a Gold Cube to see if he missed any of the gold - see the results in the video.

I have also built one using a "P-Trap" instead of the horizontal pipe Don uses for his. To dump the concentrate in mine I unscrew the plug at the bottom of the P-Trap, add a cup of water to the input to wash out the trap right into the panning pan - parts for mine is around $75.00. If you are interested in seeing pictures of mine please let me know.

The critical part in his, and mine, is not overloading the input. In my P-Trap design I run -8 though a funnel that has a 1/2 inch opening (a couple of bucks at Walmart). This keeps the ratio between dirt and water constant.

Don is a mining engineer so you can bet his results are scientifically correct.

Rick

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might ask one of the moderators if they can correct the
thread title for you, as I believe you meant to say "Gold Trap"
instead of Gold Cube.

Interesting idea, but the set-up shown doesn't resemble a Gold Cube in any way.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's interesting, but I, personally, would like to see a much more overall test. The gold you use is different sizes, but gold also comes in different shapes. How will that work for gold that is very flat and thin? What about small, coarse? What if you have a lot of black sands? (sorry, maybe you covered some of this - I skimmed through without volume until have more time later)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool "goldfarb". As a finish processor it seems no better than a poop tube. Catching gold down to 50 mesh is not impressive. Here in CO we need close to 100% down to 100 mesh as a minimum. So, no thanks!

Vagadero

Dec 3, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a series of bottle traps or some U shaped sections would improve the recovery rates.

OP
OP
R

Rick-SAR

May 26, 2011
Sorry about the subject heading. I tried to edit it but the forum would not let me. Don calls his a Gold Tube not a Gold Cube. I am sure there are other sluicing equipment out there that work and probably better however, if cost is a consideration and you like to build equipment then less then $100.00 seems like building one would be a fun thing to do.

KCM - I will have to check with Don as to the shape of gold samples he used. I know he has done more test then one with different samples. As I said in my post Don is a mining engineer and I am sure if you need all the scientific data such as flow rate using different sizes, shapes (flat, round, rough, smooth etc.), he has it.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know, an old thread but an interesting concept none the less. I suppose one could term the process along the same line as a fluid bed being bottom fed. This video shows him running mostly pure black sands but reducing them to about one pound with great recovery of larger gold and fair recovery of minus 50 mesh. That may be comparable to field/bank run recovery with a sluice but not so good as a cleanup device. Drawback is it has be classified. That said I would like to make one and test it on some of the Cape Disappointment, minus 100 mesh, black sands that I have in storage here.....someday?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I missed this the first time around, that's a well thought out system for -1/4" material. If you screened down to 1/8" and cut the pump back some more, that -100 beach sand would all be saved. With a rheostat, you could start it out slow with the -1/8" and dial it up until the 1/8" material comes out. This is a great little specific gravity system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread