DIY Shovel. 100% recycled materials

MrBeep

Greenie
Jan 23, 2023
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello there! Recently, I made a video showing the process I made my own shovel for metal detecting. A robust and good shovel can be quite expensive and I like to build my own stuff and much better if I can use recycled materials from older projects, garbage, etc.
I posted the video as a reel in my Instagram account and I would like to share it for you guys. Here we go:
Reel on instagram

Captura de pantalla 2023-02-03 a las 23.12.50.png

Mr Beep

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't it have just been faster cheaper and much better to just buy a shovel just like that from a big box store ?

But hey you got your hit to itsagram.... btw welcome to TreasureNet.

OP
OP
MrBeep

MrBeep

Greenie
Jan 23, 2023
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wouldn't it have just been faster cheaper and much better to just buy a shovel just like that from a big box store ?

But hey you got your hit to itsagram.... btw welcome to TreasureNet.
Hey! Sure! Actuallly I have several shovels, so I live in a kind of farm... BTW, I can not find where the fun is in buying a new shovel in a big store. This way make me improve my skills, reuse different trash I store, and have fun at the same time. And this shovel have much more penetration than others I can buy in my budget, :-) thanks for the welcome!!

Reactions: ARC

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Nice job! Hey, if you’ve got the material and the skills why not save a few bucks. I know some MD’ing shovels can cost over a $100 for a good design. Probably cost you less than $10 bucks to make that.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job, but I would add serrations on the little one for cutting roots. Probably on the big one also.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Hey! Sure! Actuallly I have several shovels, so I live in a kind of farm... BTW, I can not find where the fun is in buying a new shovel in a big store. This way make me improve my skills, reuse different trash I store, and have fun at the same time. And this shovel have much more penetration than others I can buy in my budget, :-) thanks for the welcome!!
We spent money to buy a “good” garden shovel last year. I broken the handle in-half digging in sand. Some things just aren’t made well anymore; disposable society.

OP
OP
MrBeep

MrBeep

Greenie
Jan 23, 2023
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job! Hey, if you’ve got the material and the skills why not save a few bucks. I know some MD’ing shovels can cost over a $100 for a good design. Probably cost you less than $10 bucks to make that.
Hey! Sounds good! I could make some depending on the orders. But there are not many MD'ors here in Spain I guess. Btw, I have to improve a lot more my welding skills.
Good job, but I would add serrations on the little one for cutting roots. Probably on the big one also.

That is a good idea. Probably because I'm a newbie in this MD world, I don't know yet how the perfect shovel should be. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread