Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this has been beat to death or not but I figured I would share my DIY hip mount I made for my Excal II, I've been using it a while now, so I felt confident about posting it. I know the information has been posted before, so if it doesn't seem like it may be helpful, it won't hurt my feelings for admins to remove it.

I bought 2 nylon tool belts from Home Depot for $5 each, cause I'm big around the waist and needed two. Bought stainless washers bolts and wingnuts to hold the control and battery housings. Then I found out Lowes carries the nylon fasteners that I couldn't find at Home Depot. I used a 1/2" piece of plastic conduit cut to 10" to mount them to the belts.

DIY Hip Mount

Parts List:

1x Husky 2 in. Quick Release Tool Belt - HomeDepot
2x Hillman 2 Count 1/4-in-20 x 1-1/2-in Slotted-Drive Machine Screws - Lowes
2x Hillman 2 Count 1/4-in Nylon Standard (SAE) Regular Wing Nut - Lowes
1x Hillman 4-Count 1/4-in Nylon Standard (SAE) Flat Washer - Lowes
1x JM eagle 1/2 in. x 10 ft. PVC Schedule 40 Conduit - HomeDepot

Price List:

$4.97 1 Husky Tool Belt (Most will only need one, unless they are my size, lol.)
$1.24 2 - 2 pk Nylon Screws
$1.66 2 - 2 pk Nylon Wingnuts
$ .62 1 - 4 pk Nylon Flat Washer
$2.21 Conduit

Subtotal: $11.70
tax .82

Total: $12.52

Started out with the parts, I cut the conduit to 10" and placed the control and battery pods in place with the conduit in the center where I wanted it, then I used a permanent marker to place a center mark for my holes on the conduit. Next I used a 1/4" drill bit to drill my holes, I was careful to do one hole on one side of the conduit, place the bolt into the hole on that side and then get my mark for the other side, and then drill the other side from the opposite direction. instead of just drilling through the conduit from one direction. I did this for each of the three holes, in the end they all lined up perfectly for me this way.

3foisrL.jpg

Just have to be absolutely sure of where you are placing the holes and where you want the buckle at. After I knew where I wanted the control and battery pods positioned from the buckle, I made the first hole. I heated a big philips head screwdriver up to burn through the belt and it sealed the holes at the same time. I get perfect holes that don't come apart this way. Then I bolted the belt to the conduit through that first hole to hold it while I sized up and heated through the next hole and so on.

steWN3G.jpg

Once I had the holes through the belt, I removed the bolts and put the conduit into the pods, and then bolted it all together. I used a bolt and washer on the inside and a wingnut on the outside of each hole.

w78PMk9.jpg

VXVts3Z.jpg

I have used it quite a bit and it seems like it is solid, it really made a difference for me. I have bad disks in my back and osteoarthritis in both hips. Using the excal out in front of me with the pods on it, makes a lot of leverage on my back. Putting the weight on my left hip, evens out a lot of it for me. I have to use mods like this or I just can't enjoy the hobby. Right now I drag my scoop behind me, or use it like a walking stick or to lean on, lol... It doesn't seem too bad to carry it along with me. I like the water, everything is a little lighter in the water and I can MD longer that way.

Yx96hlP.jpg

B1JbOkK.jpg

bwLfRSW.jpg

I don't know if it's a mod, I guess it would be, but I clipped a bungee up from my belt that tethers my excal to my right side. So I can let it go, or move it out of the way and use 2 hands on my scoop or pull out my pinpointer if I need to but the excal is only a hands reach away. It also keeps tension off of the cables. Bending is what gets me, so I try to take away as much unneeded bending as possible.

KXRgkDC.jpg

I DIY'ed my own straight shaft also, but I used a $4 aluminum tubing from the metal place down the road from my home and its a little too big of an inside diameter. It's in the last two pictures. I used my caliper and have the measurements, I'm going to try and source it locally but if I can't find the one I want, I found where I can get it online at OnlineMetals for about $35 at 3' which includes shipping. I was thinking of doing a DIY tutorial on that too, when I get the right tube but I would rather have a cheaper source.

Hopefully this one is helpful to someone else and others can enjoy it, like I have...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
So I got my CF in and since the tides are bad this week I started the project. I got to say its feels like it's going to be plenty strong. I should have it done this weekend and will be out using it next week, I was going the smaller coil but I'm going the stock 10 inch.
20.jpg
Did have to put some electrical tape on the stock lower shaft, 2 rounds, so it would fit tight once the lower rod is slid into place.
21c.jpg
Putting the remote PP on different this time, making it so it's very easy to change out. And very easy to adapt to any strait handle. Just drill a lower hole on the handle then slide the PP insert in, while pulling the cable thru the bottom. Fast and easy.
21b.jpg 21e.jpg 21d.jpg
Mocked up and all holes drilled, make sure to wear a dust mask and rubber gloves. Those little fibers can be dangerous.
Next to put together a excalibur.
22.jpg

Once finished we will find out if this CF will take the abuse of water hunting. Let me say I can stand on it with shoes, at 185 lbs. Does not flex or give. Not bad for 25 dollars, cuff was 12, handle was laying around but normally you can get them for 10.oo for two.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry In Florida

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got my CF in and since the tides are bad this week I started the project. I got to say its feels like it's going to be plenty strong. I should have it done this weekend and will be out using it next week, I was going the smaller coil but I'm going the stock 10 inch.

Did have to put some electrical tape on the stock lower shaft, 2 rounds, so it would fit tight once the lower rod is slid into place.

I was waiting for your followup, I know that you went with the 22mm OD x 20mm ID x 1000mm L carbon fiber tubing. Sounds like the 22mm OD x 19mm ID x 1000mm L, probably would fit the lower shaft better. Kind of worried about pulling the trigger, nothing ventured nothing gained I guess. Thanks for your followup.

OP
OP
Terry In Florida

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through the same seller but ordered the 22mm OD x 19mm ID x 1000mm L, It's on its way! I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1767001
View attachment 1767002
Putting the remote PP on different this time, making it so it's very easy to change out. And very easy to adapt to any strait handle. Just drill a lower hole on the handle then slide the PP insert in, while pulling the cable thru the bottom. Fast and easy.
View attachment 1767003 View attachment 1767004 View attachment 1767006
Mocked up and all holes drilled, make sure to wear a dust mask and rubber gloves. Those little fibers can be dangerous.
Next to put together a excalibur.
View attachment 1767007

Once finished we will find out if this CF will take the abuse of water hunting. Let me say I can stand on it with shoes, at 185 lbs. Does not flex or give. Not bad for 25 dollars, cuff was 12, handle was laying around but normally you can get them for 10.oo for two.

Did you make that hand grip, or purchase commercially? Thx

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I went through the same seller but ordered the 22mm OD x 19mm ID x 1000mm L, It's on its way! I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Had it out yesterday testing the machine before it got dark, 2.5 hours, the shaft worked perfect and this is in the water. The PP handle needs some work for I need the button to set out more for the dry gloves. Over all very happy with the price and performance, of the setup. And remember I had to shim the lower shaft with 2 turns of electrical tape for it to fit tight.

OBN-0005 (3).jpg

OBN-0000.jpg

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you make that hand grip, or purchase commercially? Thx

That was one I had laying round, a Anderson Shaft handle, But this is what I normally use for I like the curved handle, easier to carry the machine with this.
And they do come with that off center angle facing handle but that is easily fixed with a torch and two vise grip wrench's.
https://www.ubcbike.com/product/avenir-palmroost-bar-ends-69213-1.htm#.XcBSmuZKiCi

the black handle is a fisher c21......the Avernir is what you want..
SNAG-0004 (3).jpg ..

SNAG-0005 (5).jpg ...

heating and twisting to correct alignment.

SNAG-0002 (2).jpg

And if you dislike the curved handle you can swap out with a piece of straight tubing. you can put a strait handle on it by pulling off the curved when heated.............Which can be cut from the excalibur stock shaft, the dark blue thing most of us throw away. Easy cut with a small plumbing pipe cutter.

SNAG-0002 (2).jpg

This style of Avernir bar end I like the base for you can change to the handle you like. Then I use Diamond back grips only..

A few of the Kits ..I Use to make, now a Pirate only..(No more work or mods)..Showing the straight and curved handles with the Diamond back grips.

OBN-0006.jpg

OP
OP
Terry In Florida

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received my Carbon Fiber tube today! Yay!!!

I was worried about the bottom rod fitting into it but it fits like a glove, its tight but it slides in and out, no worries. The arm rest fastened to it, as well as it did to the factory shaft. At 1000mm, there was plenty of tube after the armrest to drill out for the control and battery pods, so I didn't cut it down. I like the way it looks with the pods behind the arm rest, have to admit its a sexy beast like that! Neat and clean...

Its a little heavy on the pod side, so I think I will be using my wrist to hold the coil down slightly. Headphones have plenty of reach, I like that too. I'm going to give it a fair shot and go on a few hunts before I determine between hip mount or shaft mount. But I think even if I change up to the hip mount again, I will leave the tube extended from the armrest, so I'll always have the choice to change up. Its definitely an upgrade!

Cost for the carbon fiber tube was $32.99, that includes the shipping. I bought the handlebar ends for $9.99 and the grips for $10.99, free next day shipping with Amazon Prime.

For a total of $54...

Thanks everyone for the help and OBN for the hookup on the carbon fiber tube connection. Almost can't wait to go try it out now, lol....

ReIlNhY.jpg

Hsmqnxo.jpg

5qFdUAn.jpg

DLWubmE.jpg

PnvwNTM.jpg

dkAZYOj.jpg

OP
OP
Terry In Florida

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am probably beating this thread to death but I took the excal out and it was killing my back again. It was just not balanced very good, the coil is just too light to have the pods behind the arm rest. I researched heavily again and and thought the over under version would fit my needs. I can easily switch it from shaft mount to hip mount and back and only two more holes in the main shaft. Cutting the carbon fiber was a point of no return but I went for it.

The excal is definitely better balanced now, it looks compact but I like it. I'm hoping my back can take the weight or i will have to go back to a hip mount. Its amazing how much difference a little weight can make, its all in the leverage. 5 lbs in my hand in front of me is like 15 lbs on my side, to my back. I feel like I could pick up a car, if I keep my back straight and bend at the knees but I can't stand and do dishes for any length of time. My weak link, in my chain...

Only thing I don't like about the excal now is that I had to use white nylon spacers between the pod shaft and main shaft. I searched everywhere local for any piece of plastic spacer or even just a couple of small blocks of black plastic that I could lathe into spacers but didn't find anything I could use, it doesn't look that bad. If it ends up bothering me too much, I guess I'll look online for them but I can probably live with them, lol.

Have to take it out for a hunt and see how my back holds up now...

EuDK1OF.jpg

f2Tecdp.jpg

i5eFlZh.jpg

LkKs82F.jpg

LCcv9ys.jpg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's similar to mine, below the elbow. I like it because it gives me the best coil control. Which I believe is a big factor when your working a tight area with deep targets. I never liked the long florida shaft set up...to much extra, for me.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve never really liked hip mounting. I prefer 4” behind the shaft ....it keeps the pods out of the salt water most of the time. It just seems to cut down on repairs to me

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my excal mounted behind the elbow, I don't have to switch arms with this configuration. What I don't like no matter where its mounted is the short coil cord, always pulling on the headset.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread