Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve never bought a point before, actually tried one time and the auction house accidentally gave the lot I won to someone else when I went to pick them up… anyway I’m trying to decide on a reasonable price and I was thinking if I over pay now will it eventually catch up in value or are points kind of the opposite since more are being found every day?

Upvote 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The value of authentic high-quality points does increase in value, even field grades have increased in value just not to the degree of high-quality authentic points..

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Supply and demand, as with other things.

Although no overall generalization is ironclad, the worse the economy gets, the more things (luxuries like arrowheads, collector coins, original Kentucky rifles) that people like but don't need flood the market (increasing supply), while fewer people have the "discretionary income" to indulge their acquisitive impulses (decreasing demand), resulting in lower prices (decreased value).

As usual, the crazy rare stuff finds rich people who want it, so there are record prices, but this is a narrow market segment (Birdstones, Cumberland/Folsom/Clovis points, 6-inch Flintridge Dovetails). Overall, while I don't buy stuff, I do follow sellers like John Dickinson (ancientartifacts.com) (gangbuster eye candy) and keep seeing him offer nice points for what he paid for them many years ago (at a significant loss due to inflation). And that's the nice (A-minus / B++ grade)

What the artifact equivalents of penny stocks do I don't know, so can't say.

FWIW

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t know about the value,but I "appreciate" all you arrowhead guys posting your finds and explaining what they are and why.How to find them,etc.That,s of great "value"to me.Thank you!

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great question, and I believe that the greater the information that can be made available to prospective buyers mostly in general, w/ accurate details given in the sale description of an object, the greater the interest then among viewers and buyers. for example, segmenting a collection then by category- such as region, rarity or period in their descriptions might add some interesting context , improving then the likelihood of good sale outcome. and, then w/out offering the right context for the buying public in general, rather than serious collectors, would any 15 be worth more than 10, etc..?

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, I am weary of being ripped off, that’s why I was looking at it like “what am I ok with gambling on a modern point. Also If I pay a little more than what an authentic point is worth (because I don’t follow prices) can I get that value back over time.” Not planning to flip anything I just want to play the game competently.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ebay prices have gone up a lot in the last 10 years or so. And I have to add to what others have said, you need to KNOW your stuff! My suggestion is to concentrate on one single area and stick with it. And even then, you can narrow it down to an area within an area. Personally I have a good understanding of PNW artifacts, a greater understanding of Columbia River artifacts, and a wealth of information on my specific watershed, which pretty much is just one county. It really does get pretty specific once you delve into this as a hobby or interest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread