Do it in a chair. You know, the kind with wheels on it.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Fellow Disabled Treasure Hunters, I’ve been Swingin’ and Pingin’ with my Ace 250 from the comfort of my manual wheelchair since June. It’s been a lot of fun!
I roll backwards to get better coil-on-the-grass time. Extend the poll to it’s max, so it is as far away from the metal footrests as possible. I don’t cover as much acreage as I did in my previous life, but that makes each find that much sweeter.

I haven't scored any silver or rare coins, but I found 2 Wheaties from the 40s.
Total count is...
42 Cents
11 Nickels
16 Dimes
24 Quarters!

A small 1.9 gram gold woman’s ring (no “K” or number inside)
A dog’s tag. I called the owner to see if they needed it and they could just come & get it. But she said that it's replaced already and was Amazed that anyone would bother to go through any trouble for something that was not theirs! She thanked me and that gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Anyway, as a few of our other members will also tell you, it it can be done from a wheelchair.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool so u are not disabled

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tear it up tokameel! Covering ground thoroughly tops speed and distance. Neat finds,your one up on me with that gold. Congrats!. Tipped over yet? L.o.l. i did once this year climbing over overgrowth at an old farmhouse. Like the dog tag results. thanks for sharing. Happy hunting!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tookameel
That is so cool that you have continued with your hobby. I am sure that many would love to have the opportunity. I hope that you find a way to inspire others that may have mobility problems. I imagine you have a pretty good set up. Please keep posting and sharing your hunts.
Good hunt!
HH
TnMtns

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Tokameel,

Glad to hear that you're doing well.
My daughter Katie (Motorhead) uses a power chair and an Ace 250.
Check her out holding the rattlesnake in the Pa Ghost town group! She's fearless.
I'm building her an electric woods buggy out of an old power wheelchair. She doesn't let anything stop her.
She likes to get out there in the dirt with the guys. She also coin roll hunts and collects animal bones and antlers.
This girl makes me look like a penny waiting for change!

Yep, the footrests are sometimes a problem. She also yells for someone to come over to dig her targets; doesn't want to break a nail! LOL
Not really she can't get out of her chair too well by herself. We're often helping her up off the ground. She's even rolled her chair on its side. That's why I'm making her the buggy. I think I'll put duel detector mounts on it so all she has to do is maneuver it around with the joystick and blast the horn when she has found something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tokameel

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Other
TreasureWriter: It sounds like your daughter is putting most of us to shame.:)

Thanks everyone!

Releventchair: I did tip over one time, backwards, on a little hill. As I was trying to roll up that hill, my top-heavy (fat) body didn't want to go forward as as much as my chair wanted to. I went backwards and my head hit the grass. No damage-hard head!

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hm, that's interesting, recently I have been wondering how I could continue my hobby if I were to become wheelchair bound, perhaps design a special non-metallic chair with extra wide tires as to not sink in the dirt. But I see you're doing just fine. :D

OP
OP
tokameel

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Other
RelicHunter97: The footrests on my chair don't interfere much at all. You just need to stretch the coil pole all the way so you can reach far enough in front as to not interfere. Or just work to either side, Port or Starboard. My thin tires almost never sink into the soil but many times that I wish that I had balloon tires.
I want to try is MDing on a sandy beach, but I can’t without a purpose built chair.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-clip- I don’t cover as much acreage as I did in my previous life, but that makes each find that much sweeter.

I haven't scored any silver or rare coins, but I found 2 Wheaties from the 40s.
Total count is...
42 Cents
11 Nickels
16 Dimes
24 Quarters!

A small 1.9 gram gold woman’s ring (no “K” or number inside)
A dog’s tag. I called the owner to see if they needed it and they could just come & get it. But she said that it's replaced already and was Amazed that anyone would bother to go through any trouble for something that was not theirs! She thanked me and that gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Anyway, as a few of our other members will also tell you, it it can be done from a wheelchair.

Awesome!!! You know not being able to cover the ground as quickly just might give you an advantage. I've seen videos of people rushing along and swinging the detector like a madman with the coil miles above the ground.

I have an ace 250 also (1st MD and I love it) and have only found a 1981 penny, a toy car and a chainsaw file. But like you I treasure each find...even the junk, because my mind goes scurrying trying to build a history behind it.

So, how do you get the targets out of the deeper holes, is retrieval an issue?

treasure everything,
cc

edited for spelling

Last edited:
OP
OP
tokameel

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Calvin, You are so right, take your time and rescan those holes that you just got that Cent or pull-tab from, cuz whoever dropped the pull-tab may have covered an old relic. And folks sitting on the grass may have lost more than 1 cent from their pocket.
I seldom go deeper than 5”, but I use a tulip-bulb hole digger. But go soft and slow to NOT scar the find. I just lean over and dig.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tokameel, I just noticed in your equipment list that you're using a stud-finder as a pin-pointer. That's just the tip I was looking for, sounds like it will work better than the speaker magnet I've been using. I'm going to give a try in the morning.

cheers,
cc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread