Do the coin machines have magnets in them?

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything is possible!

Ive found a couple of them in reject trays, but not on the magnet itself.

HH

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I've found four on the magnets. Never found one that made it through though as of yet.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see the point of looking for just steel Pennies, they arent worth anything. If ur searching cents ur hoarding copper and/or looking for errors...a steelie is just a little bonus if found.

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. And Joe777Cool, if you think steel pennies aren't worth anything, look up the 1944 steel. All I need to find is one. Even the 43's sell for two bucks or so.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1944 steel penny? lol..... Good luck finding that. You do realize only a few (less than 30) were made in error? You would have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa, Elvis, Bigfoot, and an alien playing a game of cards together than finding a 1944 steel cent. There are a couple hundred billion cents in circulation, maybe even more - good luck!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It's possible that it could pass over the magnet catcher at the bank level, however they still have to process thru the coin suppliers machines. One teller at one of the banks I use asked me, "do you save these pennies too, they were stuck to the coin machine, and I don't know why". She proceeds to give me 4 steelies (1943). There's always a chance however. Keep searching.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through about 480 x$25 (19x$25 were CWRs) and found only 1 in the bank boxes or bags, 2 from CWRs. I found more than 20 steelies from magnets.

tuleja

Greenie
Jan 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have much better luck finding steel cents in customer wrapped rolls or bags at the bank. I have found a total of 4 steel cents in Brinks wrapped rolls and that is searching 5 boxes a week over the last 2 years. Not sure how those 4 made it through the magnets at Brinks, but i'm always happy to see one :)

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you know about how the coin counting machines work? Would a steel penny make it back into a box for me to find or are they weeded out in the process? Have any of you found a steel penny in a roll? I was thinking of just searching unopened rolls with a powerful magnet.

:coffee2: I dump at TD bank & their coin machines have 2 magnets in them to catch the steel coins. I've gotten lots of 43 steel cents from them. Didn't know about the 1944 steel cent. Have to look for them from now on. I don't know if a magnet would work on a unopened roll because a single coin would be only 1 of 50 in the roll. I would say your best bet would be to open up the roll so you don't miss any.

HH
Gary

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I stuck a 43 steel in a roll of pennies and my "super magnet" picks it right up. Also I was thinking maybe I would weigh the rolls and only open the ones with at least like ten coppers or more.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stuck a 43 steel in a roll of pennies and my "super magnet" picks it right up. Also I was thinking maybe I would weigh the rolls and only open the ones with at least like ten coppers or more.

So what happens when there are 3 Indian heads in a roll, magnet doesnt pick them up and rest of the roll is mostly zinc so it doesnt weigh much? In your search for the holy grail you are throwing away many relics.

More IH's, errors, and copper for the rest of us!

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah ill be honest, sounds like a lot of work with no benefit. IMO, the searching is not the hard part of this hobby. The dumping is. So if youve already got the coins...you might as well search them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread