Do You dig everything?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bear in mind, that when you hear the phrase "dig everything", that *really* what people often mean is "dig everything above iron".

And your question does not address what type site, so I don't know how a person could vote. You go on to say "... parks", so is your question limited to park hunting then?

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't intend to but, :tongue3: when i get home it sure looks that way

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If only pull tabs were worth $.05 :laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When starting out with a new detector it is good to dig everything for awhile with minimum disc till you learn the sounds. Soooo you have a target ID screen. Big deal, they lie to you if you believe the icons. What the screen does is tell you the conductivity and many targets have the came conductivity or so near it that only your ear can tell.

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
On sandy beaches I set the disc to as low as possible and dig everything. My rule of thumb is the easier the digging the lower the disc.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I get the sound of alum foil, I don't dig. If I get a strong signal that indicates dime on my display.... yet it is too deep to be a dime.... I have learned that it is a flattened alum can and I won't dig. TTC

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here the soil can be very hard. An 8" hole is a commitment at times.

If I hit a target that is large I figure its trash, a can or something like that. Wasting time on it keeps me away from other targets.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
Bear in mind, that when you hear the phrase "dig everything", that *really* what people often mean is "dig everything above iron".

And your question does not address what type site, so I don't know how a person could vote. You go on to say "... parks", so is your question limited to park hunting then?

Exactly...depends a lot on the site for me.

Al

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:

I would think most coin shooters disc out iron kinda goes without saying but I did edit the poll to reflect that.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Unless I can tell it's a nail, I dig it. And some nails I dig just to reaffirm I'm listening to my machine correctly.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Lately I've mostly detected nearby newer schools & parks & our ground is hard so I tend to cherry pick. Probably would accept zincs & maybe try to do nickels at an older place. Maybe I would dig everything if I was at a ghost town that was abandoned many decades ago.

It seems some of the newer detectors in the middle & upper price range have gotten much better with deep target ID & little if any loss of depth at high disc levels, thanks to newly developed software. Best wishes, George (MN)

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
It really depends on how I am feeling at the time. I am at the age where I can only get down and back up again so many time during a days hunt so I tend to conserve my energies for something other than trash. Besides that it depends a lot on the area I am hunting. Some parks have a virtual carpet of pull tabs to the point where there are several under the coil at a given time. These are very rough areas to hunt for nickels or gold rings. My brain turns to mush after listening to that racket for a while.

However, in other areas, I will dig a lot of targets in the pull tab range all the way to zinc penny's. I find a lot more interesting things if I do not neglect the 50 to 75 VDI range.

So in answer to the original question, it is sort of :)

Jerry

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
There are situations where you would dig everything especially iron. If you research and find an old abandoned park for instance, or a good CW site, and you found a few good coins, and then you found a 20' square area filled with nails and iron crap, it could pay off to try to dig those iron targets out, hoping for a good unmasked hit. I like to dig pull tabs nowadays, but these are getting harder and harder to find.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to dig everything , but if the ground is hard packed and dry and it will cost me 20 minutes to dig a 6 to 8 " hole then I will go by if the number is not matching anything that would be worth the time. If I am in an area where there are nice Relic's coming up then I will dig even if it is going to take a while.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I dig everything at the beach, I use a PI there. Other places I dig everything at first and then decide what to bipass. When cache hunting with a 2 Box, digging is determined by the size of the target and the strength of the signal. Frank

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on where I'm hunting and what hunt number I am on.

Freshwater beaches I dig everything above iron.
Salt beaches I dig everything because I use a PI.
Turf is variable. A new site I will cherry pick. I want to know what it's potential is. If I'm happy there I will dig a wider range on each successive hunt.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have it set to where I can get nickles. I found a very small ten-k gold ring and it was just producing a signal. One park I'm visiting has a TON of those old round pull tabs that sound like quarters...I think I've dug about 30 of them in three trips to the park. But I'm also getting a fair number of nickles. Strangely I'm not finding many quarters lately.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches everything . all others i test if find anything good i dig it all
dig it all it,s good fer yea.