Do you guys wear gloves while detecting?

Old Joe Clark

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2019
Houston, Tx.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today was the first time swinging a metal detector and I really enjoyed it. I found this about six inches down. I have no idea what it is. The small part pulled off to reveal the needle. Do most of you guys and gals wear gloves to prevent getting poked by something like this?
Needle.jpg

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to after a nasty cut from some broken glass, but after wearing out a dozen pairs I quit buying them and started doing more digging with my tool than my finger tips. I've dug tranquilizer darts and all sorts of crazy stuff. Use your tools.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always. Safety first.

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually wear a pair of mechanics gloves, last a long time and gives a decent amount of protection from sharp objects

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always wear gloves. It keeps your hands from being scratched up too bad, and keeps you safe from potential glass cuts. I have lost the tip of my right thumb, sliced my left right down the middle, cut my right index finger badly, and got tons of cuts, nicks and scratches before I said enough was enough and started to wear gloves.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I don't wear gloves. Knock on wood,,,I have never gotten zinged by a nasty target in all of my detecting history(10 years.) My retrieval method does not ever involve scooping dirt out of the hole with my hand though. I get the metal object out on the surface if I don't visually locate it after using the handheld pinpointer in the hole. I am a small shovel user though. I do not "grab and wave" dirt over the coil either.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they make me look like a bad ass lol.....well I wear one glove since i have a hook for a left hand....

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear gloves, but mainly to keep my hands clean; protection is an added bonus.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly wear gloves. They are a pain but in the end it's better to deal with that than stitches.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never wear gloves detecting, and only rarely wear gloves when digging bottle dumps full of sharp broken glass and rusted metal. They get in the way and significantly muffle the subtle but informative sensory input. Some people are clumsy and don't pay attention to where their hands are nor "absorb" much information from them, but they are basically like another set of eyes for me so I like being able to actually use them. My father on the other hand has dug much less but gotten many more and far worse cuts so he definitely needs them. Everyone's different.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ALWAYS wear gloves! I have no desire to have a hunt cut short prematurely because I need to get a hand or finger stitched up (no pun intended)

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a glove on my left hand only and that's the hand that I dig with. My right hand holds the detector.

russian_bot

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2019
GA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't detected in a while but when I start back again I will. Last December I was detecting around an old collapsed house and dug into some poison ivy roots. There were no leaves on the stuff so I didn't know what it was. I later had to relieve myself and all the oil from the broken poison ivy roots that was on my hands got all over my--------------................ Well, let's just say I was pretty miserable for about two weeks.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES, Always. Even in the water.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear gloves, and use these from LOWES about $10 for a 10 pack

662909947857lg.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear the cheap gorilla gloves from Home Depot. They’re cheap and not too hot. I never did until I dug a couple of razor shard broadheads. I tend to pull the clumps apart by hand. I don’t want to hit a nice coin or relic inside the clump so my hands are the best option. If you grab a sharp arrowhead you’re going to get cut bad

Last edited:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't use to wear them, until I cut myself on some broken glass. It's cheap insurance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread