Do you see your Mark??

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe some one posted a similar post a few weeks ago but I did not have time to put this up. Halves have been pretty slow lately so I found a different way to entertain myself. I decided to keep one of each variety of marked halves I got. I have had more types but they have been missing as of late, but I'm sure they will be back.
The most common one I get is the Ken with the red line along the back of his neck. It has become known as the dreaded RedNeck. I even got a double marked red blue neck, I just wonder if it was the same person remarking the same coin or just another guy that added his mark.
I don't mind finding marked coins, some are even humorous as the VW marked coin talking a little more time and effort. The thing that really ticks me off lately is the Machine Reroll Dumper I have found lately. There is no pattern to his dumps. they cross different branches (4 so far) and are in odd amounts. It is not so much what he is dumping but I do wish he would put a little more effort and use actual hand rolls versus the uncrimped machine rolls on one side. It has even got to take longer stuffing the coins back in those tight rolls. I wish he would just save them up and dump in coin lock bags, because I know he does the volume to fill them. Sorry just had to rant a little.

Attachments

• markedKens.jpg
    markedKens.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 788
Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
What would it do to the markers' habits if you created about 10,000 coins with counterfeit red neck + blue neck marks (or, for whatever mark you see the most) and split the dumps of them across as many banks and regions as you can?

Would that cause him to change his dump strategy? Would that help you? Don't know.

When I first noticed distinctive marks, I mimicked the mark on a few hundred coins and dumped them with my usual dumps. I did that one time just for kicks not even thinking about if it would affect me in any way.

These days, I don't even seem to see the marks. They are there, but I don't take notice of them.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I get a bunch of the red coloring halves... And tons of green coloring rims... Apparently I got them two in my area and are mass searchers... I find more skunks then silver...

OP
OP
G

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
What would it do to the markers' habits if you created about 10,000 coins with counterfeit red neck + blue neck marks (or, for whatever mark you see the most) and split the dumps of them across as many banks and regions as you can?

I don't know and really don't think it would matter either way. I have marked a few coins myself. I just marked the number of silver that I actually pulled from a few boxes/bags just to see if I would get them back.

As far as the one marked "69" it's not silver, I guess he just liked the number. ::)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I love your collection. The pic is very interesting.

I got an Aunt Chiladas half a few months ago.

The red painted half...is that an old juke box coin? I scored a '69 painted red this week.

I've marked a few coins, but not enough to make a difference. I simply don't have the time to mark.

Again, thank you for posting the pic. I'd love to see how your collection grows in just a few months or year. Super interesting to see all those marks in one photo.

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a couple of those Aunt Chiladas halves last month. Those things must really get around. This week I got another half with the same round sticker, but it was for a different restaurant, can't remember which one, but I think it was in Pennsylvania.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
coincrawlin said:
I got a couple of those Aunt Chiladas halves last month. Those things must really get around. This week I got another half with the same round sticker, but it was for a different restaurant, can't remember which one, but I think it was in Pennsylvania.
+3 for the Aunt Chiladas- I havent seen one in a few months but they are around here...

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try to post a few pics when I do my next box, but last night I found about a 10 dimes that were marked with a black sharpie AB on the obverse. Really??? Marking dimes??? Hopefully it was just someone messing around, but if not, well I'm really at a loss on that one...

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been getting marked dimes as well. They are just marked on the rim with a black sharpie. I dont really understand the point of marking dimes, but who knows.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jarlbartar said:
I will try to post a few pics when I do my next box, but last night I found about a 10 dimes that were marked with a black sharpie AB on the obverse. Really??? Marking dimes??? Hopefully it was just someone messing around, but if not, well I'm really at a loss on that one...

I picked up a roll of Ike's a few weeks back, and one of them was marked. I'll see if I can find it and post it in another thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread