Do you trust your neighbor to own a sword?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typical of Democrats, bad guys with guns kill good people so lets restrict access to guns for the good guys so they can't protect their selves, if people had been allowed to have firearms at work they could have defended their selves.

When I was working I carried at work, boss knew I carried and did not have an issue with my carrying, in fact he even cleared my carrying with the property manger to carry on property with out being an issue. Under Florida law no gun signs do not carry any weight of law, you can legally walk into any building not forbidden by law with no guns allowed signs as long as you leave if told to do so by property management.

Did you intend to quote me?

Typical of Democrats, bad guys with guns kill good people so lets restrict access to guns for the good guys so they can't protect their selves, if people had been allowed to have firearms at work they could have defended their selves.

When I was working I carried at work, boss knew I carried and did not have an issue with my carrying, in fact he even cleared my carrying with the property manger to carry on property with out being an issue. Under Florida law no gun signs do not carry any weight of law, you can legally walk into any building not forbidden by law with no guns allowed signs as long as you leave if told to do so by property management.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be willing to bet big money that B. Hole had spend months of his life playing murderous video games.
Another sign of the times.

seems the reply with quote is not working.

so we ban video games, right? I'm kinda confused with your logic here. He didn't throw a PS4 at anyone or a GTA cassette.

Maybe we should send these mentally stressed folks to your house because you got the answers and three weeks later, viola, another fine, upstanding citizen that won't ever go astray. Waddda you think?

when did political parties enter into this discussion? I thought it was reserved for bleeding heart liberals and gun nuts.. As an aside, if you came to my house to installl a dishwasher and I saw the grip of a handgun sticking out of your belt holster or pocket, your employer would lose a client right then.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see people all the time that are carrying concealed, if you know how to look you recognize over 50% of the people carrying, their being armed doesn't scare me in the least, in my home or in the public. Anyone near me in a theater, store, grocery, restaurant, park, beach, church, gas station, any location not for bidden by state or federal law is near someone carrying a firearm. Just saw a pharmacist that was carrying the other day when his pistol was revealed for a second, I even complemented him on it.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since the "reply with quote" isn't working, I have to ask.

Did you say, "Oh, that's a big one"? or ""nice gun".

I was under the impression that exposing the weapon is actually called brandishing. That's what the term "concealed" is all about. But hey, why argue semantics, right?

What I've learned so far from this discussion is: No one carries a concealed or unconcealed firearm in public because they are afraid of anything. They carry because they have the right and can also shoot a squirrel for dinner if they feel like it and to protect themselves and theirs from other folks who feel the same way, they've just slipped a cog or two but we don't want to evaluate them due to the infringement that would cause. Do I have that correct?

I've learned that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land but we can leave out the "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" thing only applies to 2nd amendment believers. The rest of us have to just grin and bear it, (no pun intended) so ya'll can exercise the right to have unlimited access to those firearms
and our right to go about our daily business without looking for exits and making plans of what to do if someone opens up doesn't mean as much.

Have a great weekend folks. Say "hi" to your friends and neighbors and remember. We live in the greatest country in the world,

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
One school shooting every hundred years is too many....there will always be too many. Picking a subject that tugs on heart strings doesn't change the fact that most gun owners want the minimize the governments role in deciding when, if, what or how we buy firearms. Period.

The good news for people that want gun control is there are cities (and states) that are heavily involved with controlling firearms. I hear it's utopia.

Not only that, but the people in Government that are always pushing gun control are also the same idiots (and their supporters) that will bend over backwards to pass laws to reduce sentences for criminals. Here in Maryland we are a prime example of people elected to office that don't care and don't have a clue about firearms, 2A rights, or the citizens they are trying to make criminals with the stroke of a pen.

In 2013 shitbird governor Martin O'malley signed a law for the Handgun Qualification License, which every law abiding person in the state would have to purchase from the Maryland State Police in order to exercise their right in the state of Maryland. This requires the citizen to be photographed, finger printed, a training class if you are a new purchaser of a handgun, an FBI back ground check, a state background through 14 different agencies, and a waiting period of up to 30 days as written into the law. If the period of time surpasses 30 days, well tough **** kid. The state doesn't care. You'll get the same canned reply of "well, we're busy." Try the same thing with voting rights and watch the liberal heads explode. Only the rights they can use to their advantage are important to them.

Now after you jump through all of the hoops and prove to the state you are not part of the criminal element that is destroying Baltimore, you can march yourself into a gun shop (after waiting another two weeks to receive your card) to make a purchase using your shiny, new, just approved HQL. Oops...we're sorry even though you just passed a multi-level background check using your history and finger prints, you'll have to wait another 7 days to take your new pistol home, because we have to preform ANOTHER background check on you. What? You're confused? Tough **** kid. You may be a criminal says the MDSP.

I can't purchase an 5.56mm/ .223 AR15 with a government or light profile barrel, but can purchase one with a heavy barrel or as a pistol. 9mm, .308, .300AAC, 6.8 SPC, 7.62 X 39 are all fine to purchase without restrictions. Stupid people make stupid laws.

I can't purchase a standard capacity (30 rounds are not high capacity, 30 is the standard.) magazine for a firearm in my state, but can travel to any state in the country and bring as many as I want home as possession and use in not a crime. But don't you dare order one online, peasant.

We have a MANDATORY 5 year minimum sentence for felons committing a crime using a handgun. Guess what the very first charge that is dismissed when the case goes to court? You got it! The 5 year minimum is not fair. He didn't really mean to shoot the other drug dealer 30 times. His life will be ruined if we incarcerate this poor downtrodden soul for 5 years. However they don't think twice about long jail terms and heavy fines when they write laws to impose on the law abiding. Nope, they couldn't care less about you, your family, your rights, or your livelihood. You don't matter. You're just a pest to control, something to squash under their heel. But the drug dealing, neighborhood killing, murdering POS? Nah, he's not a problem. Look the other way "citizen"

Liberals often wonder why we won't accept their cries for compromise and common sense restrictions. Well the reason is not that we are unreasonable, but that you are. We often don't even have a voice in the discussion or a seat at the table on matters that will affect us, but will not have an effect on you. Your idea of compromise is to impose criminal penalties on us for having the audacity to exercise our right to keep and bear arms, while you give up nothing in return. Your idea of common sense restrictions on firearms is for me to give up my guns and rights at the threat of prison and fines by men carrying guns, all the while TURNING A BLIND EYE TO REAL GUN CRIME HAPPENING IN OUR CITIES EVERY DAMNED DAY. You will ignore the murder and assault that comes with the drug trade and the gangs that control the carnage. You focus on damaged people that shoot up a school, but ignore the hundreds of people wounded and killed in our cities every week. We don't have a gun problem we have a problem of a sick culture that is destroying us from the inside out.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since the "reply with quote" isn't working, I have to ask.

Did you say, "Oh, that's a big one"? or ""nice gun".

I was under the impression that exposing the weapon is actually called brandishing. That's what the term "concealed" is all about. But hey, why argue semantics, right?

What I've learned so far from this discussion is: No one carries a concealed or unconcealed firearm in public because they are afraid of anything. They carry because they have the right and can also shoot a squirrel for dinner if they feel like it and to protect themselves and theirs from other folks who feel the same way, they've just slipped a cog or two but we don't want to evaluate them due to the infringement that would cause. Do I have that correct?

I've learned that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land but we can leave out the "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" thing only applies to 2nd amendment believers. The rest of us have to just grin and bear it, (no pun intended) so ya'll can exercise the right to have unlimited access to those firearms
and our right to go about our daily business without looking for exits and making plans of what to do if someone opens up doesn't mean as much.

Have a great weekend folks. Say "hi" to your friends and neighbors and remember. We live in the greatest country in the world,

Quote funtion works for me...

Brandishing under Florida law.

"The charge of improper exhibition of a firearm or other weapon requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt of the following elements:

1. The Defendant carried a weapon;
  2. The Defendant exhibited the weapon in a threatening, careless, angry or rude manner;
  3. The Defendant did so in the presence of at least one other person.
Since most crimes must be committed by acting intentionally, knowingly, and willfully, prosecutors would have a hard time convincing a jury that a merely careless act is a crime.
Recently, the Florida Senate has passed new legislation that creates a defense to another misdemeanor firearm statute for openly carrying a firearm if the display was an accident."
Improper Exhibition of a Weapon Explained by Attorneys in Tampa, FL (criminaldefenseattorneytampa.com)

The pharmacist wasn't intentionally displaying his firearm, it was under his pharmacist's coat that pulled up as he was leaning into his trunk to remove something and I was returning to my vehicle. I have seen people in restaurants and stores with concealed firearms. Why would I call the police on someone who had a concealed firearm that was momentarily revealed.? :dontknow:

I carry to protect myself and my family, because it is my right, just like freedom of speech is a right. You carry or don't carry, doesn't bother me at all if someone choses to be unarmed. My rights do not end where someone else feelings begin. Someones' Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness is not restricted by my right to be armed.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I'm very pleased to see others carry. I am pretty good at guessing who has a gun. Sure dosnt bother my activity in any way.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
well, it looks like another guy with a sword just killed 8 more people in Indiana. Ya think they would have been able to out run him.

While I totally agree that your right to own, carry, buy, possess firearms is awesome I'm reminded of some words of wisdom. I'm not sure who wrote them but they go something like this. "Handguns are made for killing, ain't no good for nothing else and if you like to drink your whiskey, you might even shoot yourself".

or

Everyone is a fine, upstanding model of society......................until they aren't.

The first quote is from Lynyrd Skynyrd's Saturday Night Special. I'm sure you know that though. In fact under the gun laws today Ronnie Van Zant likely wouldn't be able to own a firearm. He liked to drink and fight and apparently was no stranger to the wrong side of the law.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
davest:

Too many people are busy shouting - they won't hear the voice of reason. As it has in the past, this conversation has degenerated into petty insults and meaningless generalizations. One could respond in kind, of course. But that would require being just like those one doesn't respect. And the ref wears the uniform of one team, so it's folly to expect a fair shake.

A closed mind is about as much use as a closed parachute. You can sit on it and rest your toosh - but it certainly won't save your life. Too many people don't want to run the risk of learning anything new. Heck - most here won't even admit there is a serious problem.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Your "logic" is circular.

The only answer you can envision is more laws - and you oppose more laws, so there's no point in taking a serious look at the problem.

So the problem continues, and more good, innocent people die.

Eventually there will be more laws. Perhaps the Constitution will be amended - it's been improved before. When the law has to step in it often swings too far the other way - it's a crude tool, not a fine, precision instrument.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Can be considered "brandishing" if it makes someone uncomfortable. Just like a stare or a wink. It's up to the observer, er, victim, whether it makes them uncomfortable or not.

I carry in public because it gives me added options. I certainly am less concerned. "Fear" may be an extreme description. If I am afraid of an area I avoid it. It's sort of like the difference between dislike and hate. Hate is less logical and less composed.

Don't confuse caution and precaution with fear. Do you carry a doggie doo pick up bag when walking because you are afraid of picking up poo with your bare hands and putting it in your pocket? No. You carry it because that is good policy and allows you to clean up after your dog properly and tidily. Just a sensible option.

When hiking do you carry a compass, matches and a whistle because you are afraid of being lost? Or, are you just being prudent and sensibly prepared should you somehow become lost?

People assume such polarization of opinions nowadays. No moderate or dependant stances.

Last edited:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only answer you can envision is more laws - and you oppose more laws, so there's no point in taking a serious look at the problem.

Eventually there will be more laws. Perhaps the Constitution will be amended - it's been improved before. When the law has to step in it often swings too far the other way - it's a crude tool, not a fine, precision instrument.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

So in your opinion, What is the problem? I'm not sure I understand what you feel the actuall problem may be. You are clearly much smarter and more open minded than most if us. So tell the low IQ folks here what the actual problem it so we can help resolve it.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
crashbandicoot:

The purpose of an expert study is to clearly define the problem, then offer intelligent solutions.

Unlike many members here, I don't pretend to have the answers. There is strong data indicating "mental illness" is a convenient distraction from the real issues, but more work needs to be done on that.

I'm not afraid of the answer(s), so I'm willing to wait for intelligent answers that aren't founded on pre-conceived notions.

There is one immediate change I'd like to see. Once a killer has been positively identified (and many of them are dead at the scene, so that part isn't too tough) I'd like the mass media to never mention his name again. There's significant evidence many of these mass killings are copycat events - that's one reason they tend to cluster.

I'm not suggesting a law against it. I'm suggesting an intelligent policy where the news concentrates on the names of the victims, and tells their stories, and ignores the murderers.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Garscale:

Insults are a poor substitute for facts, reason and logic.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

No?

Well if what you are doing isn't working it is time to try something different.

How about more prayer? Seems to me the streets got a little less safe right about the same time they eliminated prayer in public school. :dontknow:

But of course you can't force people to pray.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
davest:

Too many people are busy shouting - they won't hear the voice of reason. As it has in the past, this conversation has degenerated into petty insults and meaningless generalizations. One could respond in kind, of course. But that would require being just like those one doesn't respect. And the ref wears the uniform of one team, so it's folly to expect a fair shake.

A closed mind is about as much use as a closed parachute. You can sit on it and rest your toosh - but it certainly won't save your life. Too many people don't want to run the risk of learning anything new. Heck - most here won't even admit there is a serious problem.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I'll give you this, you're good at your shtick. You'll hit every talking point, use emotional pleas, throw subtle insults and complain when people won't give you a synopsis of their solution. Yet you still have not answered a question that was asked of you a few pages ago. What is YOUR solution to the problem? In your own words lay it for everyone to see. No talking in circles, no hyperbole, and don't quote Moms Demand Action (sounds like a porn title, but whatever) or the other political anti-gun groups. I can see from your posts that you're not a dumb guy. You said people refuse to learn. Then teach.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than willing to listen to someone on gun control as long as their solutions do not violate my rights.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garscale:

Insults are a poor substitute for facts, reason and logic.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Ok, now we have common ground. I totally agree with you, however I think you may be insulted that folks dont agree with you. Its clear you feel you are more open minded about the problem. Please define the problem as you see it so we can help solve it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread