Do you trust your neighbor to own a sword?

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading Tesorodeoro post made me remember an incidence that took place back when I was 5, maybe 6 years old.. Dad was working midnights, and me and my mother were home alone, when we heard someone trying to get in the back door.. I remember standing behind her while she was telling whoever it was that she had a gun, and if they came in she would put holes in them.. I remember the door being kicked repeatedly and she told them again that she had a 45 and that the holes would be big.. After she said that, they quit kicking the door and stood there for a minute when she told them again she would shoot them if they came in.. I guess that worked because we heard them run away..

Now who knows what would have happened if we didn't have a gun that night, and they would have came in.. Maybe nothing, but I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that it wouldn't have been good.. Leave no witnesses comes to mind..

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So you ban guns that shoot more than 6 rounds. The law abiding citizen duly turns in all his weapons that meet the criteria. Now all the criminals are left with high capacity guns laughing at us morons.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pb2Au

Apr 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Pennsylvania and carry all the time myself. It has nothing to do with anger. When you walk around in lonely places or even through a crowded city, you are vulnerable to people who ARE angry or desperate... And there are such people around, innocent unarmed people do occasionally run into them and wish they hadn't or maybe don't even live to wish anything.

I carry a gun as basic insurance for my personal safety, whether that be in the middle of the woods or going into a convenience store to get a coffee on my way to go metal detecting. Carrying a gun, while it certainly requires a degree of responsibility and caution, I equate with any of my other personal effects like wallet, keys, pocket knife, money... and most of the time I am out and about I am completely absorbed with my personal interests and business and the idea of shooting someone the farthest thing from my mind.

I also carry with the knowledge and respect that many other people I pass everyday are probably carrying too. In my state 1 in 7 people has a concealed carry permit.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the odds of someone "invading" my home is at least 300 to 1? Actually, it's much higher, since I have a modest home and don't have much worth taking! Lol!

If odds are what your looking at, do you have fire insurance for your home, there are far less home fires than home invasions, statistics show for 2018 there were 363,000 home fires so odds are over 2.8 times higher for home invasion than a home fire.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to own a Ruger mini-14 - with a wood stock
considered a 5 round varmit rifle that shoots a .223 round - same as the AR-15
I used it for target shooting only - but eventually bought all kinds of accessories for it
I ha 40 and 50 round banana clips for it - I was in my early 20s -in early 80s
and thought it looked cool - had flash suppressors and scopes and such - i could have
gotten a military stock for it - dont know if Ruger still even makes is
used to be any gun out there - years ago you could have turned into a military looking
gun - I owned a Ruger .22 with wood stock and had it with a 50 round click (they used to make a 100
round drum for it) I had the military style kit for it too - all black with fold out stock
Im just saying - none of it was necessary but it made them look "bad"
they shot the same either way

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
I used to own a Ruger mini-14 - with a wood stock
considered a 5 round varmit rifle that shoots a .223 round - same as the AR-15
I used it for target shooting only - but eventually bought all kinds of accessories for it
I ha 40 and 50 round banana clips for it - I was in my early 20s -in early 80s
and thought it looked cool - had flash suppressors and scopes and such - i could have
gotten a military stock for it - dont know if Ruger still even makes is
used to be any gun out there - years ago you could have turned into a military looking
gun - I owned a Ruger .22 with wood stock and had it with a 50 round click (they used to make a 100
round drum for it) I had the military style kit for it too - all black with fold out stock
Im just saying - none of it was necessary but it made them look "bad"
they shot the same either way

The Mini 14 and the 10-22 are both still in production and there are many different after market accessories available for both rifles. For the money Ruger wants for the Mini 14 you can purchase a midrange AR platform rifle that is more accurate and has better after market part support. The current estimate is 20 million AR-15 style rifles are in citizen's hands. Every day that number grows.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Member stoneshirt on time out for racist insult.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
176145244_10158170942087993_521203072247189215_n.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
s-l300.jpg

And, if a yawn looks like this you don't want to be there for a bite.

e766cf2f45de2f9404aac7a9bcb63f08.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And, if a yawn looks like this you don't want to be there for a bite.

View attachment 1920146

Ha! Reminds me of one of my neighbor's rougher looking dogs. I got a photo someplace of the back of my head and that dog in front of me with its paws on the rail of the fence and its teeth bared. It looks like that dog is about to try to tear me limb from limb, like I oughta just crawfish out of there, but that ain't it at all. She is just smiling. If I reach up and scratch her ears she will make a puddle. :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Duffy is our three year old Airdale. Stubborn and "independent", but a whole lot of fun and a real companion. He's family. Not much of a grouse dog, but he tries, and he loves the water.

7/10 for obedience but I know he'd take a bullet for me or THE ADMIRAL . . . and I'd do the same for him. When he growls I pay attention.

878F47BA-3036-4F78-86B5-FDCC075A805A_1_201_a.jpeg

Airedale Terriers were used in WWI (they would not leave a wounded but living soldier so the stretcher bearers knew where to focus) and the first police dogs in London. They're scrappers!

Last edited:

Pb2Au

Apr 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read up, you'll find that home invasions involving more than one person is not that uncommon in the overall stat of home invasions. Also, you'll find that it can sometimes take a number of shots to stop someone with a handgun. One story that stands out for me is a mother and child who were home by themselves and a man came in the house and started looking around apparently not realizing she was home. She had a 5 shot snub nose 38 Special revolver and proceeded to hide with it and the child in a crawl space. The man found them and was menacing so she shot him with all five shots in the gut. The result? He backed down and said "stop shooting me!" and left. A few miles down the road he started to pass out from blood loss. But obviously if he had been a fiercer person he could have cut her throat before leaving that house and strangled the child. It's true that this does not happen everywhere everyday...but I'll be damned if I'm going to agree to someone limiting me to just six shots when I realize that it truly may not be enough and the person invading my home may likely be carrying a Glock if he is armed, which would spell death for me if I run out of my fix bullets first

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At 6-foot-7, [George] Floyd was identified as the “the largest” of the six suspects who arrived at the home in the Ford Explorer and had pushed a pistol against Henriquez’ abdomen before looking for items to steal. He pleaded guilty in 2009 and was sentenced to five years in prison. He was paroled in January 2013, when he was almost 40 years old.

Houston Police Department

Screen-Shot-2020-06-11-at-2.46.27-PM.png

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many moons ago, when I was in high school, the principal stopped me in the parking lot to ask about a rifle I had hanging on the rack in my truck. After looking at it, he like it so much, he bought one just like it.

Nearly everyone had a gun in their vehicle at school back then............And not one mass shooting.

We didn't' have liberal soyboys back then either so........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread