Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone else's detector show THIS??

Went to the local fishing/swimming hole today, and there is a large park adjacent to the area. I kept hitting SOLID $.25 and $.50 targets about 6-8 inches down...and after digging through the rocky HARD soil, I'm popping out old beer can bottoms! I fiddled with the sensitivity of my Whites Prizm 5G to no avail. I started to get a little frustrated digging up that much garbage, especially since I didn't think beer cans would hit that hard in the clad range! I even had it on the highest discrimination and was STILL picking those targets up. Is it my detector?? Is it normal?? Are older beer cans made of different material that shows up differently than the newer pop cans?? Just wanted to get some differing opinions on what is going on?

On a side note, I bought the detector as a "refurb", but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with this. Usually I'm NEVER concerned with buying anything refurbished, because I know the factory has gone back over everything with a fine-toothed comb and fixed any issues that the item may have had. And Whites has never let me down before. Dunno. Just a little bummed out by my can digging today.

DeJa

Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Does anyone else's detector show THIS??

I think it's just the material they're made of. Keep digging. You have to dig the trash to find the treasure.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other

Sometimes, my MXT will give me false readings. I think it just depends on how well I ground balanced it, soil conditions (moisture, iron sands) and the number of targets in the ground. "Saturated" areas with lots of junk, good targets, etc will bounce the readings around. Always swing back over your hole before filling in!

At any rate, the first time you think that this signal is "just another can bottom," you will have probably missed your first walking liberty half dollar!

Keep swinging and digging! ;D

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

All part of the game. I probably dig 50 pieces of trash for every nugget of "treasure" with my MXT.

They're not magic machines ... they're just giving you a few clues as to what they think is beneath your feet. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mydejavooo

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

KYshooter said:
All part of the game. I probably dig 50 pieces of trash for every nugget of "treasure" with my MXT.

They're not magic machines ... they're just giving you a few clues as to what they think is beneath your feet. :thumbsup:

Can the same be said for your Garretts? Just wondering if it's a Whites thing....or a metal detector thing? :dontknow:

DeJa

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

with the lakes so low this year due to our drought, I searched what was once 6 and 8 feet deep water but is now just dry sand..... hundreds upon hundreds of beer and soda cans dating from even the 70's and 80's... most all would give me a very strong penny reading on my XLT.... frustrating to find so much trash, but even more annoyed that people are such mindless slobs to have thrown it there. >:(

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trust me, it a metal detector thing. I was in England hunting farm fields. I was so used to getting huge hits from cans, I thought I had a can. I dug a hole about 1 foot wide and 1 1/2 feet deep and was still getting a huge signal. I thought "man this has got to be a can".
Here's what was stuck to the side of the hole (a 1652 Silver shilling about the size of a half dollar!) Keep digging and fiddle with the machine a bit on some bench tests. You may find that you can adjust it so you can tell a difference between a coin and a can, but generally any aluminum can is the same as any good signal you want to dig. Also, some rusty iron cans can give those false signals also. I have a friend with an F75 who thoght he was getting the best machine out there. He has call the factory a bunch of time and has found out that he can't discriminate out those pesky pieces of rusted iron can signals. They sound just like a good coin.

Attachments

• comparisonjameslizzy.jpg
    comparisonjameslizzy.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,683
  • jamesshilling3.jpg
    jamesshilling3.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,706
  • jamesshilling3f.jpg
    jamesshilling3f.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,713

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey mydejavoooo ! Don't worry , I get these all the time - but usually the sound signature is
too broad - so I'm fairly sure it's not a coin - the other tip I can give is that , if you lift your
coil off the target vertically 6 inches or more - and you are still getting a robust audible response,
the target is most likely large trash - like a beer can - almost certainly not a coin ! I hope this
is useful information . Argentium.

illinidigger

Jun 1, 2010
Illinois-St. Louis Metro
Detector(s) used
Explorer Se Pro White's IDX pro

Every detector I have ever used reads cans as a good signal, normally I can tell it is not a coin by the size of the target as I swing over it from all directions but I have dug a peace dollar and several shallow silver halfs that I was sure were cans. Never know till you dig it.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The discrimination on my machine won't go high enough to discrim out a can bottom; but I generally leave my discrim on the lowest possible setting above all metal mode when I'm right on the site, and only discrim out half of the iron range at anytime. A can sounds alot like a big copper or silver at 8 inches on my machine! Then again, my Fisher also has a thing for sounding off on cow patties. :laughing9:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

With my M-6 I get the same,dig and take your chance,I'll take the chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless HH Chris

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Discrimination doesn't matter. Because the size of the target is the reason it comes in so high. It could be made of any metal, but the larger/denser/more mass the item has, the higher it's going to sound. Pinpoint mode can help indicate its size, but it'll be of less help if it's real deep.
I've dug plenty of huge iron hunks (axe heads, hammer heads, etc) and aluminum/lead/whatever masses that I was sure was gonna be a silver half or even just a penny. :P That's been my experience

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is very normal my XLT rings out at a 74-85 range on those old beer cans , and sometime on certain types of iron and so did my mxt as well ..... but you never know what it is till you dig it !

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mydejavooo said:
KYshooter said:

Can the same be said for your Garretts? Just wondering if it's a Whites thing....or a metal detector thing? :dontknow:

DeJa

I use Garrett gtax 550. Buried cans quite commonly come up as quarters.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"Is it my detector?? Is it normal??"

It's normal with all of mine. MXT Pro, AT Pro, T2SE. Metal detectors do have a tendency to be overly optimistic now and then. :laughing7:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Hunthicks said:
The discrimination on my machine won't go high enough to discrim out a can bottom; but I generally leave my discrim on the lowest possible setting above all metal mode when I'm right on the site, and only discrim out half of the iron range at anytime. A can sounds alot like a big copper or silver at 8 inches on my machine! Then again, my Fisher also has a thing for sounding off on cow patties. :laughing9:
Must be to much iron in their diet!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

rocko dogg

Dec 22, 2008
marion nc
Detector(s) used
6000di pro sl and xlt

my xlt does it all the time as did my 6000di pro when in doubt dig

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don;t know how you can ignore this signal :dontknow: Beer cans laying down make a distinct sound, almost a hollow sounding signal . I don;t clear all of them unless it is in a productive spot . I have been wrong while clearing a beer can as well , and make a few good relic finds when I was sure it was a deep can I was clearing ? A small silver cache found in a beer can was posted on t-net in the last two weeks ! My advice is dig any signal that you are not 100% sure that you know what it is . M.R.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mydejavooo said:
Went to the local fishing/swimming hole today, and there is a large park adjacent to the area. I kept hitting SOLID $.25 and $.50 targets about 6-8 inches down...and after digging through the rocky HARD soil, I'm popping out old beer can bottoms! I fiddled with the sensitivity of my Whites Prizm 5G to no avail. I started to get a little frustrated digging up that much garbage, especially since I didn't think beer cans would hit that hard in the clad range! I even had it on the highest discrimination and was STILL picking those targets up. Is it my detector?? Is it normal?? Are older beer cans made of different material that shows up differently than the newer pop cans?? Just wanted to get some differing opinions on what is going on?

On a side note, I bought the detector as a "refurb", but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with this. Usually I'm NEVER concerned with buying anything refurbished, because I know the factory has gone back over everything with a fine-toothed comb and fixed any issues that the item may have had. And Whites has never let me down before. Dunno. Just a little bummed out by my can digging today.

DeJa
you fell into the biggest marketing trap of the detecting world. Forget & tape over the VDU. Listen & learn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread