Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone else's detector show THIS??

Went to the local fishing/swimming hole today, and there is a large park adjacent to the area. I kept hitting SOLID $.25 and $.50 targets about 6-8 inches down...and after digging through the rocky HARD soil, I'm popping out old beer can bottoms! I fiddled with the sensitivity of my Whites Prizm 5G to no avail. I started to get a little frustrated digging up that much garbage, especially since I didn't think beer cans would hit that hard in the clad range! I even had it on the highest discrimination and was STILL picking those targets up. Is it my detector?? Is it normal?? Are older beer cans made of different material that shows up differently than the newer pop cans?? Just wanted to get some differing opinions on what is going on?

On a side note, I bought the detector as a "refurb", but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with this. Usually I'm NEVER concerned with buying anything refurbished, because I know the factory has gone back over everything with a fine-toothed comb and fixed any issues that the item may have had. And Whites has never let me down before. Dunno. Just a little bummed out by my can digging today.

DeJa

Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Does anyone else's detector show THIS??

Hi often "refurns" are checked and repaired correctly but coils may not be checked.You could have a coil problem , try taping your coil cable hard against the shaft, leave a small loop at coil end for coil tilt and small loop at plug end. Check plug pins for damage. if there is no improvement try another coil.
I,m not an expert but just some simple suggestions that takes 5 minutes. Often simple faults can be easy fixed. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

tinpan

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other

Your always gonna dig trash. Some models like certain trash more than others. I know my fisher loves deep rusty nails. I dig less and less but they still get me every time I go out. Your machine is fine. Its trying its best to tell you what it thinks it is with the designated categories given to your specific brand/model.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mydejavooo said:
I started to get a little frustrated digging up that much garbage, especially since I didn't think beer cans would hit that hard in the clad range! I even had it on the highest discrimination and was STILL picking those targets up. Is it my detector?? Is it normal??

Every detector I used reads crushed beer cans or lids as a large and "good" signal unless they are right on the surface.
I think on the F-75 they come up as a dime reading; so when you have an earblaster as a dime reading you kind of know what you are in for.

OP
OP
mydejavooo

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Whew!! Appears from the responses that I am NOT going crazy, and my detector is NOT whacked!! Feel a LOT better about this! Thanks fellers. HH!

DeJa

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello2: :headbang:

That would be why we call it "treasure hunting" instead of "treasure finding" :notworthy:

Yes, the older pop and beer cans were not make from aluminum, they were made of real metal. That's why it used to be difficult to smash a beer can on your forehead - and its easy now. (all the guys I grew up with thought that was a noteworthy game).

Don't fret, though - dig the trash to get the treasure. I once found a can (older beer can), with a bunch of dimes in it (all pre-1964 - at an old carnival grounds - they used to gamble with dimes back years ago, at the carnival with a big wheel). I also found gold ore in an old metal can - obviously someone sniping from a local mine they worked at years ago.

Treasure hunting is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. (a la Forest Gump).

Beth

OP
OP
mydejavooo

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

True, true! In fact, when I was out yesterday, I actually found a FULL can of orange soda, buried down in the sand! Dug it up, but did NOT drink it!! :laughing9:

DeJa

tnut1

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011

Yep! My Whites and Bounty Hunter Do the same thing, it's just part of the game. If it don't keep talkin keep on walkin!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrs.oroblanco said:
:hello2: :headbang:

That would be why we call it "treasure hunting" instead of "treasure finding" :notworthy:

Yes, the older pop and beer cans were not make from aluminum, they were made of real metal. That's why it used to be difficult to smash a beer can on your forehead - and its easy now. (all the guys I grew up with thought that was a noteworthy game).

Don't fret, though - dig the trash to get the treasure. I once found a can (older beer can), with a bunch of dimes in it (all pre-1964 - at an old carnival grounds - they used to gamble with dimes back years ago, at the carnival with a big wheel). I also found gold ore in an old metal can - obviously someone sniping from a local mine they worked at years ago.

Treasure hunting is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. (a la Forest Gump).

Beth

I call it trash digging

rdavidson

Greenie
Jun 20, 2011
Middle Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

When I first got my machine I was ready to throw it in the river. I was sure I was ripped off. After using it for hours and hours I found I could tell most of the time if the target was a coin or trash. The tone is more crisp on a silver . The size of the target is a good indication of whats there also, but sometimes I am fooled. You just have to keep practicing, and you will get better. If you hunt for gold you will dig a lot of trash and for that reason I notch everthing except silver out. Don't give up!!!!!

Kneo

Greenie
Sep 26, 2011
Leominster, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ifoundit69 said:
It is very normal my XLT rings out at a 74-85 range on those old beer cans , and sometime on certain types of iron and so did my mxt as well ..... but you never know what it is till you dig it !

I get the same thing with my XLT as well.

To the poster: Don't get frustrated, I have dug coins, beercans, hundreds of pull tabs, etc. when I first started back in '93, and dug lots of trash - and I still do. I am afraid a very nice gold chain may be coiled up in the hole. Here is the mindset I recommend (others may do something differently): I do some research - if you are lazy like me, just getting your local town map (Debeers) from the 1870s should suffice. If I am feeling extra lazy, I will simply head to the local park in the hopes of finding jewelery.

Watch and learn - go over the spot criss-crossing and try and memorize the reading and sound, then dig. This increases your experience and *you* become the discriminator, not the machine.

Before going out, I put on a pair of black kneepads (after coming down on the pointed end of an acorn one time, I bought 'em), some gloves with leather finger pads (saved me stitches a few times - I was suprised to find thick glass in the woods), a holster for the spade and a spade shovel for deeper objects. The mindset is - plan on getting very little, then you will be pleasantly suprised on a great find. I am still learning, never got lucky to find a mass colonial coin or gold coin yet.

Just my zinc two cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread