Does anyone have a recipe to use in rock tumbler for cleaning clad coins?

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read several orver the years and herad one at a club meeting one time. I'm just wondering what others may be using. here is what I'm currently using. Aqurrium rock, about half of the tumbler full, Bar Keepers Friend, about 2 Tbl spns, and dry coffee grounds about 2 tbl spns. It seems to work well. I'm just curious what others might use. Thanks:icon_scratch:

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you cleaning them? You should NEVER clean a coin. It will greatly decrease any numismatic value the coin has. If you don't have a valuable coin and just want it to look nice, have at it.

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I use aquarium gravel, a little water, and 2 drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid. It does a great job and then they're ready for the coinstar machine!

treasureman001

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2007
I use a tumbler all the time to clean clad coin.. simply, use beach sand and 2 tablespoons of dish detergent. Tumble for 6 hours and wash off coins should be clean . Andy

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't shine them up but I put them in the tumbler with crushed walnut shells. Simple to do and does a very nice job taking all the dirt and grime off. Ready for the coin sorter. It doesn't beat the crap outta them like the gravel does.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a tumbler all the time to clean clad coin.. simply, use beach sand and 2 tablespoons of dish detergent. Tumble for 6 hours and wash off coins should be clean . Andy

This is what I do...just the cost of a squirt of dish detergent. The beach sand is free. Once the coins are clean they go right into the machine at the bank so no need to roll them.

NJ

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Have used the rolling type tumbler with several types of cleaning compounds in the past. I have just ordered a vibrating "tumbler" . Keep an hand print-2_edited-3.jpg eye out for my cleaning post results with actual formulas, and before and after pictures of the coins and tokens.

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
any copper coin such as wheats indians and tokens, tumble them for about 20 minutes then dry them off and put a coat of cooking oil on them over night they look fantastic.
silver I just wash with soap and H2O unless there is corrosion in it then I use electorlysis for about 10 min then tumble for a brief spell.
nickels If in good shape I do the exact same as pennys but if I have a tough one then soak it in CLR and then hit it with fine steel whool and it will look like it came out of circulation.
alum tokens I soak them in CLR to take rust off it works great.
Clad just pull out ant really bad ones wash them is soapy water then take them to the bank, I have had no problems.

Most coins found in the ground are in poor condition anyway, they would most likly be graded as corroded so make them look good and enjoy them.

scotttt1970

May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried everything in my tumbler to get the coins as clean as possible, and I can tell you their is only one way I have found to do this the right way and to clean them to the best they be cleaned. I use rocks that I picked off the ground little and big, now here is the part that will work I promise. Go to the grocery store and buy a big box of S.O.S (steel wool) pads with the soap in it already then cut off a little piece of the steel wool (S.O.S) throw it in the tumbler withe the rocks and some water let tumble for about 1 or 2 hours, and you will be amazed how clean they come out. You can use as big as a piece as you want depending on how many times you want to go to the grocery store.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always tumbled the cupro nickel separately from the copper , throw a little distilled white vinegar in with your gravel , water and
coins -

TrashFinder

Mar 11, 2013
51st state - Jefferson
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Whites Treasure Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Harbor Freight $40 tumbler. I played around with different things and here is the formula I came up with: Use almost any bath tub scum spray bottle type cleaner - 50 pennies at a time. Just enough cleaner to cover the coins. Then - use parakeet type gravel (small sandy stuff that is sharp edged). It only takes a table spoon or so of it with the cleaner. Seal it up as directed and let it run a few hours. Then, pour off the sludge into a cup (save it for the next run), take the tumbler canister outside to a hose or outside faucet and run a good stream into the can, and the sand will wash up and out. (DO NOT USE A SINK WITH A SEWER DRAIN AS THE GRAVEL WILL SETTLE IN A TRAP, OR MAY SETTLE IN THE SEWER LINES!) Be sure to mix it up while doing that. Dump the coins out on a towel and lay out to dry. They will mostly be shining. Sharp edges will still be on the cons! The thing that is oppressive are the clad pennies look dark but, if you look closely, it is the Zinc holes that make them look dark, but they are clean holes!

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I have read several orver the years and herad one at a club meeting one time. I'm just wondering what others may be using. here is what I'm currently using. Aqurrium rock, about half of the tumbler full, Bar Keepers Friend, about 2 Tbl spns, and dry coffee grounds about 2 tbl spns. It seems to work well. I'm just curious what others might use. Thanks:icon_scratch:

Cleaning Clad And Zincolns (Nice Results)

Also use aquarium gravel with lemon juice and several drops of dish liquid

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. clean clad separate from cents. 2. put coins in tumbler no more than half full. 3. add appx 2 dozen small stones preferably pea size or sligthly larger. 4. add white vinegar just to cover coins and rocks. 5. add 2 tablespoons of salt. 6. run tumbler for 30 minutes for clad, 20 minutes for cents. If coins are extra dirty 5 minutes more usually does the trick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread