🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Does Anyone Know Details About This Key And The Lock It Opened?

Legend Buster

Dec 26, 2021
The Barrel key is about 3" long and is made of iron. It has a very strong "Tooth" that would have worked the lock mechanism. This isn't a dainty key. I was told by a historian blacksmith at the Saugus Ironworks who hand forged iron tools that it was an 18th century strong box key. I've never been able
key2.jpg
Artifacts 1c.jpg
key7.jpg
key8.jpg
to find pictures of a key anything like it.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a better picture of it cleaned and lying next to a ruler or a quarter so we can better judge it's scale?

It appears to be a Minor key size, so it's for a desk, drawer, small lock box, armoire, roll top desk, glass cabinet etc. Extremely common key with likely over a billion produced, no way to tie it to any particular item as they were used in many different types of furniture.
key2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat
Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key to a chest containing a famous treasure you,ve unraveled the mystery to and can,t recover due to Govt. regulations and red tape,but you want to lay it out there for all to see if you can just get Rick Lagina to go along? Sorry,I couldn,t help myself.

Reactions: Fat
Upvote 1

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was found by saltwater. That sinker in the first picture in the upper left hand corner on a snap swivel is a giveaway.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread