Does anyone know if my stamp is real or a fraud?

Etta

Greenie
Jan 8, 2015
Washington State
Primary Interest:
Other
Stampview1.jpg stamp2view.jpg

I have done some research on this stamp, but I still can't tell if it's real or fake. Most likely it's fake. However, it was in my mom's old stamp collection and how she would have come across one of these is beyond me.

I appreciate any and all input. I tried to contact some of the stamp club people in the Seattle area, without sharing what I had though, and nobody replied.

Thank you!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy neighbor...

Don't know a thing about stamps, but like you I have a
collection from my Grandfather who passed back in the
70's. Been wanting to get it evaluated, but have no idea
who's to be trusted.

Tried to clean up your pic a bit:

stamp2view-2.jpg

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on the limited research I just did, it's a fake. The margins are too wide for one thing.

OP
OP
E

Etta

Greenie
Jan 8, 2015
Washington State
Primary Interest:
Other
That's beautiful, thank you. If you're trying to get stamps evaluated, they charge for that. Is it a big collection? I ask because I noticed that some places only want to buy really large collections. I figured for my stamp, if I could figure out if it's real or not, I could send it to Sothebys. I say that, because if you have a couple of good ones, that may be an idea for you too.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been collecting stamps since age 8 and I'll be 72 in 3 months. I still have my original and continued collection, though inactive over the last decade or more.

I don't recall having that stamp. Though what I find now is that stamp collecting has almost become obsolete, except through the Boy Scouts = merit badges. I'm not sure they even do that anymore. There remains a commercial market. Go to sell them something - they're not interested except for pennies on the dollar. Catalogues? Oh yeah that stamp is worth money! Go to sell it to them, it's better you keep it.

My collection is buried in my attic and there's big spiders back there, so I'm not crawling back there to get a catalog :(

Good luck! I hate to be so negative, but once upon a time I had very high hopes. And then I met reality.....

Edit: I'll wait a bit till it cools off here, my tin roof would cook me otherwise. I'll find a working flashlight and cover my skin as best as possible and go back there and bring my collection out. I've catalogues there, and really I should have better access to it than just keep forgetting about it.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, and about the size of the margins?

Especially older international issues - they weren't always precise about "centering". That kinda margin is actually fairly common on older international issues.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been collecting stamps since age 8 and I'll be 72 in 3 months. I still have my original and continued collection, though inactive over the last decade or more.

I don't recall having that stamp. Though what I find now is that stamp collecting has almost become obsolete, except through the Boy Scouts = merit badges. I'm not sure they even do that anymore. There remains a commercial market. Go to sell them something - they're not interested except for pennies on the dollar. Catalogues? Oh yeah that stamp is worth money! Go to sell it to them, it's better you keep it.

My collection is buried in my attic and there's big spiders back there, so I'm not crawling back there to get a catalog :(

Good luck! I hate to be so negative, but once upon a time I had very high hopes. And then I met reality.....

Edit: I'll wait a bit till it cools off here, my tin roof would cook me otherwise. I'll find a working flashlight and cover my skin as best as possible and go back there and bring my collection out. I've catalogues there, and really I should have better access to it than just keep forgetting about it.

In my area everyone is stingy with their Money at Auctions.
the Exception is coins. they don't even need to be valuable coins.
a Collection of circulated state quarters may bring $50 bucks or more if the auctioneer shills it
by trying to start the bid at 100 , some moron will believe he knows something , and there are 2 morons in the crowd :laughing7:

anyway I saw 2 stamp collections go for big bucks (Hundreds) at an auction, Both collections by the same girl
who appeared to have a speech issue maybe due to mental or Physical issues. so no idea if she just liked stamps, if they were an elderly relatives,
or if she was shilling and got carried away
. but my point that was the only time I was surprised by a stamp buyer here .

Don't know what happened to Mine & My Mothers Collections which was also Her Fathers Collection.
I'm hoping My nephew has them or Sold them for a Mint :tongue3:
I think I sort of Remember giving them to him when he was 10 or So

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
anyway I saw 2 stamp collections go for big bucks (Hundreds) at an auction,

Thanks Jeff, that's interesting. Maybe I should come out of my coma :)

My giving up on the hobby was probably 20+ years ago. Stamp collecting compared to my childhood love, I was really disappointed when I saw how the hobby had evolved.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I certainly don't know, but if it is valuable, a major collector will be who to contact. I collected stamps half a century ago. And not kidding about the time frame, I was little at that time.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buenos Aires Scott's # 5, 5 cinco orange, Steamship issue of 1858, unwatermarked, typograph, imperforate. My 1999 catalogue lists it as being valued at $4,250 in mint condition - in FINE condition, which the stamp in the picture is not, with missing design on the right, and if actually real would bring a much lower value. NOTE - COUNTERFEITS ON #'s 1 - 8 ARE PLENTIFUL.
I have this stamp in my collection, and consider mine as counterfeit. Many of these old rare stamps were reprinted and sold to collectors as space fillers as far back as the 1890's and they often turn up in old collections.
To be sure you would have to locate an expert on Argentina stamps, which I am not, so I can't actually say BUT AS an old time collector I would advise you not to get your hopes up - just saying.
Here is info on discerning real from fakes on this issue Album Weeds – Buenos Aires | Stampforgeries of the World

Last edited:

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buenos Aires Scott's # 5, 5 cinco orange, Steamship issue of 1858, unwatermarked, typograph, imperforate. My 1999 catalogue lists it as being valued at $4,250 in mint condition - in FINE condition, which the stamp in the picture is not, with missing design on the right, and if actually real would bring a much lower value. NOTE - COUNTERFEITS ON #'s 1 - 8 ARE PLENTIFUL.
I have this stamp in my collection, and consider mine as counterfeit. Many of these old rare stamps were reprinted and sold to collectors as space fillers as far back as the 1890's and they often turn up in old collections.
To be sure you would have to locate an expert on Argentina stamps, which I am not, so I can't actually say BUT AS an old time collector I would advise you not to get your hopes up - just saying.
Here is info on discerning real from fakes on this issue Album Weeds – Buenos Aires | Stampforgeries of the World

Good Info!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are willing to pay $35 if it is a fake; or 5% of Scott's retail value if it is authentic--and you want an unquestionable, reliable expert, then contact these folks:'
https://stamps.org/services/stamp-authentication
Don....

I don't think the $35 is an Out of the Question Price real or fake , & Encapsulated if real. even $50

But I'd Personally Consider them Thieves charging 5% of Value if it's a High Priced Stamp.
What if I have a $10,000.00 stamp "book value" no one wants that bad.
and I Don't intend to sell any way. & they hold it for $500 Ransom !
Lawsuit time ! & that bad part Pay Them $500 or a Lawyer $5000 win or loose
Makes paying $35.00 To tell me it's Fake ain't Worth Spit !:(

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and about the size of the margins?

Especially older international issues - they weren't always precise about "centering". That kinda margin is actually fairly common on older international issues.

It's my understanding that the margins were narrow because the stamps were printed in sheets, weren't perforated and they were printed very close together, making the margins very small.

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
View attachment 1914142 View attachment 1914143

I have done some research on this stamp, but I still can't tell if it's real or fake. Most likely it's fake. However, it was in my mom's old stamp collection and how she would have come across one of these is beyond me.

I appreciate any and all input. I tried to contact some of the stamp club people in the Seattle area, without sharing what I had though, and nobody replied.

Thank you!
Why would they fake it? Just because the margins are wide don't mean it's a fake.
Have an expert price it

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Your stamp is either a badly orinted original or a forgery of an early regional issue of Argentina. If Philatino internet auctions are still going on you can learn a lot from their listings.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As 'Deep' mentioned earlier, the Boy Scout counselor for the Merit Badge will consider taking your stamps. Another source to donate (and receive a 501 (c) 3 tax credit) is Boys Town in Nebraska.
I'm currently taking pics of my collection (started in 1950) and evaluating them based on '1/2 of 'Stampword.com' values; then will send the collection to Boys Town as a Christmas present.
Yes, they have a stamp club --and the world's record for a stamp ball (about 3 feet in diameter).
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread