🔎 UNIDENTIFIED does anyone know if this ring i found in upstate new york is of indian origin

Peteram

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2022
New york
Detector(s) used
White

Attachments

• 20220507_172743.jpg
    20220507_172743.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 148

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 6

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks PepperJ How did they make the metal ?
Early Navajo smiths rocker-engraved, stamped, and filed designs into plain silver, melted from coins, flatware, and ingots obtained from European-American traders. Later, sheet silver and wire acquired from American settlers were also made into jewelry.
ZUNI
Following the Sitgreaves Expedition in 1854, Captain Lorenzo Sitgreaves illustrated a Zuni forge, which was still in use as late as the early part of the 20th century. The forge was made from adobe, with bellows handmade from animal skins. Silver was cast in sandstone molds, and finished by tooling - as opposed to engraving. Thin sheets of silver were cut with scissors and shears.

Upvote 10

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My point is the Navajo were in the south West . This ring was found in New York state i believe
So have you ever found a coin with a S or D?
Both are from out west.
Spanish silver in eastern Ontario.
Things travel around sir.
I'm just giving you a little rub. 😁

Upvote 5

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How wide is it's loop. It looks all steel. It could even be from a dinner cloth napkin type holding set? I don't think very many utilitarian objects or jewelry were made of pure steel very far back in history. I bet it is less than 40 years old or maybe even 25.

"They say that stainless steel was discovered between 1900 to 1915,." From
https://www.steelblaze.com/blogs/news/the-history-of-stainless-steel-jewelry

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to identify a couple things I found today detecting a 1800s farm house
Are there any markings on the inside? Most likely it is modern southwest jewelry someone lost.

FYI, when you have a question on something found you should always post multiple pictures showing all sides.

Upvote 7

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece of jewelry appears to be made in a Native American motif. Particularly a southwest North American native motif. Nothing about it is coming off as “made by a Native American” - It looks just like modern jewelry but in a style that is made to look like Native American

Upvote 6

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So have you ever found a coin with a S or D?
Both are from out west.
Spanish silver in eastern Ontario.
Things travel around sir.
I'm just giving you a little rub. 😁
you brought out a good point

Upvote 2

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a lucky find! You have a piece of Fred Harvey jewelry (circa 1930s) with the horse motif.

These are usually made of coin silver and the design is often referred to as a dog motif, so if you're reselling, you'll want to incorporate both 'horse' and 'dog' into your keywords.

Fred Harvey jewelry is 'hot' as you may know, and brings in a pretty penny.

P.S. Be sure to include "railroad jewelry" when/if you list it, as a key phrase.

Upvote 4

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is Fred Harvey jewelry and is real silver it should have a trademark on the inside.

Upvote 4

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you Google Fred Harvey Ring you get a bunch of "Fred Harvey Styled" or "Fred Harvey Inspired Rings" which are super similar to this one. However, most of the eBay, "Fred Harvey" jewlery doesn't look at all like this ring. Turquoise in steel bracelets seem to be the vast majority of pieces for sale. This leads me to doubt it's authenticity completely.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread