Does anyone use GPS to track where they have been?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used one, however I need one.! I get lost easily... If it wasn't for my family keeping tabs on me, I would be in trouble. I never hike alone. I at least have my husband and dog. At 4' 10 1/2", I am lion mountain bait. My curiosity gets the best of me often though. My husband will be into a good book and I unintentionally I make my way to wherever my eyes gaze. I have a trusty german shepherd that is very faithful. She finds me always and leads me back. Even if I think I know the way and I'm wrong she grabs my sleeve. She is such a good girl. And she will get right up under my legs and bark like crazy if she thinks I'm in danger I guess. She loves to dig with me too. My all in one hiking gear on legs. My GPS doesn't save coordinates I've been to but it does protect and dig for me!
Give that dog a T-bone!:laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Shiloh098

Greenie
Oct 20, 2021
Somewhere in Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Wow, this thread started again! Thank you for all the recent suggestions from everyone.

Brianc053, I think you just suggested exactly what Iā€™m looking for. Iā€™m at work, but Iā€™ll look into that app. What your doing with it is exactly what Iā€™ve been wanting to do. Thank you for taking the time to share it!

thanks again everyone :)

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I only detected one time that I wish I had a GPS with me, it was when my wife and I was living off grid on 40 acres I went out and detected a hill top that was rite next to our cabins, I did not have any type of flashlight with me, I got a signal on my GM1000 that was really good pegging the gold chance meter on the gold side, started digging down to it and hit solid rock, by this time it was getting dark so I marked where the target was located put some markers on some of the surrounding bushes and a couple up in trees headed back to our cabins because it was getting dark, got up the next morning and tried to find the location and for the life of me I could never locate the spot again could never find no evidence I had marked anything, if I would have had my handheld GPS I could have saved the location to it in the GPS and found it pretty easy, you live and learn

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
The type of treasure hunting I do is looking for old trucks, tractors and old engines best done in the fall after the trees have lost their leaves and early spring.

This Garmin map overlay helps to locate land owners.

What Is FarmTrax Topo?
FarmTrax Topo is custom mapping software that was specifically designed for anyone that needs to navigate to a Ā¼ section land location in Western Canada. With the software added to your Garmin GPS you can search for a Legal Land.

Descriptions/Quarter Sections and you will be routed with turn by turn directions using our detailed rural road network.

Not only does FarmTrax Topo make finding land locations easier; it also includes Ā¼ section boundaries, land contours, Wildlife Management Units, tree cover, and much more.

Last edited:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Interesting device, turn your windows laptop into a GPS.

Screenshot from 2022-01-25 13-28-51.png

wingding

Greenie
May 12, 2019
Pennsylvania- U.P Michigan- Montana
Detector(s) used
First 1964 Relco- White's Coinmaster 4 - White's Eagle SL - Garrett 2500- Minelab GP Extreme- Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant say I did it with a metal detector BUT i did do it looking for a old Dog~ Spunker~... it was very effective and I could literally cover a 80 acre forest area right down to the foot... Was very effective in making sure I covered every foot of the land.. Now if your looking tp get down to thw square inch.... Not really sure unless you try it and see how incremental your system can be... I was using a magellan topo maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions