Does anyone use GPS to track where they have been?

Shiloh098

Greenie
Oct 20, 2021
Somewhere in Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hello everyone,

First time posting and please advise me on the fallowing question.

Does anyone use GPS with a software over lay of a area (farmers field) to show exactly where they where while using their metal detector?

My idea is to break down a area into squares and throughly check it using a GPS overlay on some kind of pc/iPad map. Which will show me exactly where I’ve been. I want to keep records of it, so I know that area was gone through with my metal detector.

If anyone is doing this please let me know what your using for a GPS and what your using for a map. It’s important to be able to see a map on a pc or iPad screen of where you were.

Thank you Shiloh

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Shiloh,That seems to be an excellent idea.I,m an old guy so I,m not as familiar with the tech you,re talking about other than a stand alone GPS but I don,t see why that wouldn,t work for you.Probably someone more familiar will be along soon.There is a dedicated GPS-Mapping forum on here,try that and see if maybe you find more info.Good luck to you!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my GPS to get about in the woods,but I just use it to get a compass azimuth to where I want to go,then whip out my trusty rusty compass to follow the azimuth.But, like I said I,m a old guy.

OP
OP
S

Shiloh098

Greenie
Oct 20, 2021
Somewhere in Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thank you for the replies Crash and Djqix. I really appreciate them.

I’ll look around for the GPS and Mapping forum Crash.

Knowing me I might forget I have a GPS too Djqix.

I was just hoping someone else has experienced the trial and error for what I’m asking. I’ll dig around on the Mapping & GPS forums.

Thank you again - Shiloh

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the replies Crash and Djqix. I really appreciate them.

I’ll look around for the GPS and Mapping forum Crash.

Knowing me I might forget I have a GPS too Djqix.

I was just hoping someone else has experienced the trial and error for what I’m asking. I’ll dig around on the Mapping & GPS forums.

Thank you again - Shiloh
It,s a little further down the forums page.

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

Does anyone use GPS with a software over lay of a area (farmers field) to show exactly where they where while using their metal detector?

My idea is to break down a area into squares and throughly check it using a GPS overlay on some kind of pc/iPad map. Which will show me exactly where I’ve been. I want to keep records of it, so I know that area was gone through with my metal detector.

If anyone is doing this please let me know what your using for a GPS and what your using for a map. It’s important to be able to see a map on a pc or iPad screen of where you were.

Thank you Shiloh
You may run into problems using a standard GPS. Unless you are using a professional sub-meter unit, typical accuracy is between 15 and 30 feet.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

Thank you Shiloh
Hi Shiloh. I use a program called TectOTrak while metal detecting.
Here are a couple examples of its results, at a home and on a farm field. The little pictures are things I've found pinned to where I found them.

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep it simple. I make a mental note of landmarks when I find a good spot. Downed tree, large rock nearby or something similar. I also use triangulation to keep track of spots. Lots of landmarks in the woods to make it relatively easy to find a spot that produced for you in the past.

E

Exploration unknown

Hello everyone,

Thank you Shiloh
I've never used one, however I need one.! I get lost easily... If it wasn't for my family keeping tabs on me, I would be in trouble. I never hike alone. I at least have my husband and dog. At 4' 10 1/2", I am lion mountain bait. My curiosity gets the best of me often though. My husband will be into a good book and I unintentionally I make my way to wherever my eyes gaze. I have a trusty german shepherd that is very faithful. She finds me always and leads me back. Even if I think I know the way and I'm wrong she grabs my sleeve. She is such a good girl. And she will get right up under my legs and bark like crazy if she thinks I'm in danger I guess. She loves to dig with me too. My all in one hiking gear on legs. My GPS doesn't save coordinates I've been to but it does protect and dig for me!

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've checked out TectOTrak but unfortunately I have an iPhone and the app only works with an Android. Looks like a good program though.

Tinhorn2

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with new place, I sometimes use those Red Flags from Lowes, those that have a bunch of 20 or 30 [cheap]. I can see areas where I found more stuff then hit it harder. If I found something good, I may bend the flag & leave it while gathering up the rest later. I usually do the flags where old houses are gone but have flowers & other plants, etc there

GPS - years ago when I bought a navigator GPS, somebody said he'd do like Brianc053 said, while hunting deer with a Bow & a deer might ran into a bunch of brush, etc that he couldn't find, he said he could tell where he was <not> in with the Breadcrumb Trail of his GPS

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
with new place, I sometimes use those Red Flags from Lowes, those that have a bunch of 20 or 30 [cheap]. I can see areas where I found more stuff then hit it harder. If I found something good, I may bend the flag & leave it while gathering up the rest later. I usually do the flags where old houses are gone but have flowers & other plants, etc there

GPS - years ago when I bought a navigator GPS, somebody said he'd do like Brianc053 said, while hunting deer with a Bow & a deer might ran into a bunch of brush, etc that he couldn't find, he said he could tell where he was <not> in with the Breadcrumb Trail of his GPS
There's another app that I've seen people use called OnX Hunt. Here in the US it shows property boundaries and even property ownership; I'm not certain if it provides GPS breadcrumb tracking (like the green lines in my TectOTrak app) but I think it does.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've checked out TectOTrak but unfortunately I have an iPhone and the app only works with an Android. Looks like a good program though.
Emil, my TectOTrak is running on an iPhone, and I see it in the Apple App Store. You might want to check again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread