🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Does these symbols on the tombstone mean something ?

9AKA2

Greenie
Oct 12, 2021
8EC25C73-23C8-40F9-A40E-B0325AD45424.jpeg
A6066BC3-4CAE-4CA5-BFF3-CE76F2166A1E.jpeg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Looks more like a stele than a gravestone as such. Although stelae can be grave-markers or funerary tributes, they also served as memorials and commemoratives (for battles or other important events), as boundary markers for property or city/town limits, and for a number of other purposes.

It's rather unhelpful that you have neither said where it is, nor what else is in the immediate vicinity.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
9AKA2

9AKA2

Greenie
Oct 12, 2021
Welcome to Tnet.

Looks more like a stele than a gravestone as such. Although stelae can be grave-markers or funerary tributes, they also served as memorials and commemoratives (for battles or other important events), as boundary markers for property or city/town limits, and for a number of other purposes.

It's rather unhelpful that you have neither said where it is, nor what else is in the immediate vicinity.
I am sure its a tombstone because it was on a grave and i was surrounded by them as i was in an old cemetery, and i believe jewish lived in nearby village long time ago.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i am sure, there are many graves beside this one and its old cemetery in an old village.

I am sure its a tombstone because it was on a grave and i was surrounded by them as i was in an old cemetery, and i believe jewish lived in nearby village long time ago.

Well, that's a small step forward, but you're not exactly being very forthcoming for someone seeking help on identification.

- You haven't given the name of the village, or even what country it's in.
- 'Old' and 'long time ago' are very much open to interpretation. How old?
- Since there are 'many graves', do any of the headstones have dates to indicate how long the cemetery was in use?
- Is there an adjacent church/temple or whatever that can be dated?
- When was the village settled?
- Why did you single out this stone? Is it markedly unlike the others in the graveyard?

I don't see anything that stands out as Jewish symbolism typically seen on headstones. The arch-like carving at the right might perhaps be a 'gates of heaven' symbol.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
9AKA2

9AKA2

Greenie
Oct 12, 2021
Well, that's a small step forward, but you're not exactly being very forthcoming for someone seeking help on identification.

- You haven't given the name of the village, or even what country it's in.
- 'Old' and 'long time ago' are very much open to interpretation. How old?
- Since there are 'many graves', do any of the headstones have dates to indicate how long the cemetery was in use?
- Is there an adjacent church/temple or whatever that can be dated?
- When was the village settled?
- Why did you single out this stone? Is it markedly unlike the others in the graveyard?

I don't see anything that stands out as Jewish symbolism typically seen on headstones. The arch-like carving at the right might perhaps be a 'gates of heaven' symbol.
Sorry for not being forthcoming, as you know i am new to these stuff.
-villages name is “Berashe”, its located in Kurdistan region in Northern Iraq.
-i really dont know how old the village is or when it has been abandoned since its just the remains now.
-the oldest grave i saw that had the date on was almost 100 years old, but there were older graves with no carvings or dates just normal stones for headstones.
-the stone was unlike any other headstones as i said others had normal stones.
-many people say that there was a Jewish town or city in the area a long time ago (sorry idk the date), thats why i mentioned Jewish people because i believe this grave in particular is a jewish grave.

Upvote 2

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich, Ill-tempered man, vicious dog & ??? you figure the other.. Nothing here to gain!

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Berashe or Berdereş? 8-)

Knights Templar for certain..

I read that it shows the exact location and depth of the treasure....

O is the shaft....the treasure is below the wooden grate,

BEWARE it is guarded by a packman...

PS Fred was the Bomb!

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread