Don't even think about MD on my land! Then, it was, can you help me find my ring?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was metal detecting along a concrete path that was a jogging path in a small city park. I was staying withing ten feet of the path as I made my way along it. This elderly woman (close to ninety) suddenly appeared and began chewing me out for digging in the park. I looked up to her and calmly told her that the mayor (who I have known for forty years) had told me that it was okay as long as I filled my holes. She stammered for a minute but then pointed to an area thirty yards away or farther and told me that he property started right there and that I had better stay off of it. I assured her that I wouldn't get near her property and continued on. Less than a week later, the same lady managed to contact me needing help. I showed up at her house and she explained that she had lost a diamond ring and needed me to look for it.

She had gone to the next bigger town to the walmart and had lost it maybe there, maybe at her driveway or along the highway at a wide spot where she had stopped to check something in the back of the car. Well, no ring at the driveway so I went to every wide spot in the area that she had described and searched hard but no ring. I came back and told her that it wasn't there so it had to be in her house, her car or was lost in walmart. She gave me a very short thank you and shut the door, so I went on over to the park and hunted some more. A couple of weeks later, she had some major health problems and ended up in the nursing home. I just thought that it was ironic that after she had jumped down my throat, that she came to me needing help. Still wish that I could have found the ring but it is what it is.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe she had lost her ring prior to seeing you detect the narrow strip down in front of her house?

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think at that age she was on her way out. I am there at 65. :dontknow:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A place here that sells and rents MD's tole me that rings are the most common reason people will rent a MD.
I got engaged and had finished paying for the ring for one day when a wave on the Atlantic grabbed it. Never
could find it.
Knowing what I know today about heavy stuff floating on lighter stuff I might not bother looking.
The ocean surf is a bit like using a gold pan.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
there was no ill feelings, I talked to her just days before she went into the nursing home. She was just being protective of her property just as her late husband had been. When she lost the ring, she immediately thought of me. it was just the turn about that had surprised me. The ring was actually special in many ways, 1st, it was a hinged locking ring because of her huge arthritic joints and was special made so she could wear a ring by her husband. 2nd because she meant to pass it to her daughter. For that reason, I checked the wide places for about 6 miles. It is just that so many people have a negative feeling towards us. of course there are those that give them reason to feel this way.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your lucky it wasn't my dear old mom (91) she would have told you the same but not tell you it was 60 years ago that she lost it.....:smileinbox:..:laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are a good man :notworthy:

Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
65 Is STILL YOUNG !!!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the hospitality! I have had a few bad situations turn positive by not barking back. :occasion14:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That was Very Nice of You To Help Even After What Originally Happened!

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread