Dowse Assateague Island?

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just returned from Va. where I had an interesting exchange with the head life guard on the beach at assateague seashore.
Having noted the sign which emphatically stated "No Metal Detectors", I asked if I could dowse with a couple of bent coathangers.
He didn't say yes and he didn't say no but he did go into his rationale about how "we turn things in to a lost and found and attempt to reunite them with their original owners". He further stated that on this beach " we don't operate on a finders keepers basis".

I was having a pleasant day and had no coathangers or rods with me so I smiled and politely said "oh, I see" and wished him a good day.

I walked away wondering several things: Has anyone else tried dowsing a federally controlled area that does not allow metal detecting? What was the response of rangers, etc.? I guess most areas could stop you from digging a target but what about on a beach where everyone digs in the sand? And finally, I wonder what happens to all of the unclaimed coins and items that the beach cleaning machines sift from the sand...do they really find there way into a "general fund" for operational costs or do some "persons in authority" just take them home??

Any thoughts on any of this?

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I't's not the detecting/dowsing...it is the digging. On a beach you don't think it would be a problem but if it is a state park or protected area then it is most likely illegal. Some public beaches as well. Each area can set their own rules or laws. I guess if you were walking up and down the beach with dowsing rods in your hands it might get you some attention from someone....

OP
OP
sparkydog

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"It's not the detecting/dowsing...it is the digging."

I could agree with that if it weren't for the big "rules sign" that very specifically states "NO METAL DETECTORS". And as for digging, the kids at this public beach routinely dig holes that could trap a Panzer.

I don't know the truth obout this but I've heard they can confiscate your detector if it's even in your car.

I do agree that they can make their own rules but I guess I question why that is when this land is owned by "we the people".

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread