🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Drawing by who ?

Donvic

Feb 26, 2013
SF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a thrift store find I found it behind a picture of a lady posing black and white picture . I have this drawing anyone know who can be draw by, it’s on some kind of wall paper it’s an original because it’s not a copy I worked in the printing the street for 15 years and I’m pretty sure I know a copy lithograph from original it look like it was signed but it’s so old you can barely see it, And it has something about Greek art . You can tell it’s old because this paint spot is dried up and cracked and it takes a good time for it to dry up and crack. Any help will do.
FE9FC2D6-26E3-459E-9D69-4AB431D45764.jpeg
72318836-8E43-4AD4-A3DB-71D3A34BA05F.jpeg
1D702EFC-CA4A-404C-88E8-0019F6B00572.jpeg
E90A0B33-4114-4286-A022-FF6D5F7E1002.jpeg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Donvic

You’ve posted this in the “Rocks/Gems” forum, but I expect one of the mods will move it for you to a more appropriate section.

Can you kindly clarify some things here?

What exactly does “I found it behind a picture of a lady posing black and white picture” mean?. Do you mean it was actually mounted/framed behind that picture; or do you mean you were browsing through a box of pictures, one was behind the other in the box and you bought them both?

Also, where does the piece of paper with “quotation from Chapter 1 of Exhortation to the Greeks” fit into all of this? Is that actually printed on the same piece of paper as either of the pictures (front or back); or is it on a separate piece of paper to the drawings and used as a backing sheet for mounting purposes?

I would assume that it’s a reference to the work of that name by the 2nd Century theologian Clement of Alexandria, for which several published English translations exist (notably Butterworth in 1919)… although Chapter I contains nothing “quotable” which might relate to the history of the female nude in the world of art or anything of that kind.

The “black and white picture” is a print of Henri Matisse’s work “Seated Female Nude, Holding One Knee, with Sketch of a Foot” executed in August 1909, for which the original has been in the Chicago Art Institute collection since 1926:

Matisse.jpg

I don’t recognise the other work (and the signature is unreadable) but it would be a little odd for an original to be mounted behind a cheap print… if that’s what you actually meant.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
D

Donvic

Feb 26, 2013
SF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Donvic

You’ve posted this in the “Rocks/Gems” forum, but I expect one of the mods will move it for you to a more appropriate section.

What exactly does “I found it behind a picture of a lady posing black and white picture”. Do you mean it was actually mounted/framed behind that picture; or do you mean you were browsing through a box of pictures, one was behind the other in the box and you bought them both?

Also, where does the piece of paper with “quotation from Chapter 1 of Exhortation to the Greeks” fit into all of this? Is that actually printed on the same piece of paper as either of the pictures (front or back); or is it on a separate piece of paper to the drawings and used as a backing sheet for mounting purposes?

I would assume that it’s a reference to the work of that name by the 2nd Century theologian Clement of Alexandria, for which several published English translations exist (notably Butterworth in 1919)… although Chapter I contains nothing “quotable” which might relate to the history of the female nude in the world of art or anything of that kind.

The “black and white picture” is a print of Henri Matisse’s work “Seated Female Nude, Holding One Knee, with Sketch of a Foot” executed in August 1909, for which the original has been in the Chicago Art Institute collection since 1926:

View attachment 2050097

I don’t recognise the other work (and the signature is unreadable) but it would be a little odd for an original to be mounted behind a cheap print… if that’s what you actually meant.

Hi Donvic

What exactly does “I found it behind a picture of a lady posing black and white picture”. Do you mean it was actually mounted/framed behind that picture; or do you mean you were browsing through a box of pictures, one was behind the other in the box and you bought them both?

View attachment 2050097

What I was try to say that a picture of this lady Posing was in a frame and when I open the frame this drawing was Hidden behind it separately. The writing was on card stock that had tape around the drawing not on drawing. I had the old tape removed , so now It is on acid free card stock. The paper is some kind of woven paper, Different from the paper that the writings on , And the other picture I post of a lady with holding the knee I just put it next to that one , because to me they look like each other,
F6594E5D-A717-4C09-BA89-799F1D2365FC.jpeg
781877A2-3AB5-4056-BAB1-A7B799AE30E8.jpeg
330CDA44-F527-4DE3-8CB4-78756866FF57.jpeg
about the Greek
64B1AC59-89E9-4816-9750-CB0A631C64FF.jpeg
6431192E-B37D-4CA9-9C1D-8C9336DB2119.jpeg

Attachments

• 36CE41A2-1400-4CB7-8CA1-3BFC2F35461F.jpeg
    36CE41A2-1400-4CB7-8CA1-3BFC2F35461F.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Upvote 0