Dredging Question

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have a cpl. Suction dredges (2ā€ and 3ā€) that I used a lot when I lived in Alaska. Since moving to Colorado Iā€™ve more or less put them away because they just seem like overkill on the fine gold here. I also donā€™t usually have the time to set up so much equipment in the field due to pretty short mining windows of like 2-3 hours a few times a week.
Here at the house I have 2 good sized ponds (about the size of a football field) where I can bring in material and run it at my leisure. I have spots where I dig and bring truckloads here to run.
Iā€™d like to start dredging in a couple of areas and just catch the material in buckets and truck it home. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I already have 8 mesh screen over my nozzles, so I wonā€™t be lugging around any big stuff.
I was thinking of just running the discharge hose into a 30 gallon trash can and dumping it every time it got 5 or so gallons of material to keep it manageable. Iā€™m not sure if fines would wash out as it overflows or not.
ā€¦or is there a better way of doing this?
I know overall it a lot of extra work, but itā€™s about the only way I can manage to operate right now.

Upvote 1

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they don't seem right for the area that you live in now, either modify or sell them.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If they don't seem right for the area that you live in now, either modify or sell them.
I highly recommend Reed's over-under design. I modified a 3" using a p-180 pump using Veranda carpet with expanded screen in the lower box which captured an amazing amount of flour gold.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do like that sluice design! I even have everything to build 1 or 10 of ā€˜em.

The only problem that it isnā€™t solving for me is getting in a 2 or 3 hour dredging session w/ out it taking 5 or 6 hours.

The only way Iā€™m seeing this happen is to leave the sluices at home and dredge into containers and truck the pay dirt home.

Does anyone even do that?

My pump is pretty powerful and the discharge is rather violent. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m trying to figure out a reasonable way to catch pay dirt and not wash out the fines.

These claims have pretty fast water most of the year and shovels are a waste of time. Everything washes off before you can get it out.

Any other thoughts???

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do like that sluice design! I even have everything to build 1 or 10 of ā€˜em.

The only problem that it isnā€™t solving for me is getting in a 2 or 3 hour dredging session w/ out it taking 5 or 6 hours.

The only way Iā€™m seeing this happen is to leave the sluices at home and dredge into containers and truck the pay dirt home.

Does anyone even do that?

My pump is pretty powerful and the discharge is rather violent. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m trying to figure out a reasonable way to catch pay dirt and not wash out the fines.

These claims have pretty fast water most of the year and shovels are a waste of time. Everything washes off before you can get it out.

Any other thoughts???
Even if you figure a way.......a cubic yard of stream gravel probably weighs upwards of 3,000 pounds when wet......gonna need a heavy duty pickup to haul your gravel if the dredge pump can move that much material

Hope you figure it out. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even if you figure a way.......a cubic yard of stream gravel probably weighs upwards of 3,000 pounds when wet......gonna need a heavy duty pickup to haul your gravel if the dredge pump can move that much material

Hope you figure it out. Good luck.
Silverado 3500HD w/ Duramax, Lift, and overload springsā€¦it can haul anything I can put in it easily.

ā€¦need more gold to pay for fuel though
59352DF8-0FDE-4470-8209-CD40AA738180.jpeg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ā€¦and yes Iā€™m trying to compensate for my small we.we. and lack of self esteem.
Here is an idea for you. Devise a crash box that attaches to the discharge hose and diverts the flow down. You can fill buckets, barrels or even a tarp lined truck bed with settling, dredged solids all while only excess dirty water overflows the containment. If you fill the bed you need to pump as much water out as you can........the load could liquify in transit and cause the solids to shift and make your truck swerve.

Good luck.

Last edited:

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a 2" backpack dredge set up would be way more efficient, but I'd rather dredge and sluice a yard than haul a yard of raw dirt in buckets. What about leaving the floats and using the dredge sluice like a highbanker on shore? Speeds up set-up, lessens any hauling and decreases amount of dirt you have to haul home.

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could then run something like a Le Trap Sluice as an extension for the dredge sluice to give you another chance to catch fines.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going to need a lot of pump power to dredge out of a stream and up into a lifted pickup. 8 mesh screen on your nozzle?

The nozzle screen was a very failed experiment. I thought I might be able to make it work on a cpl sand bars w/ pretty fine sand. As you already know, it plugged up immediately.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The nozzle screen was a very failed experiment. I thought I might be able to make it work on a cpl sand bars w/ pretty fine sand. As you already know, it plugged up immediately.

I reworked my Dredge sluice w/ classification above the full length. I also reworked floatation w/ emphasis on quick deployment. Iā€™ll get some pics up in the next day or so.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a big part of the joy of dredging is using the dredge to move rocks out of the way you otherwise had to pitch by hand. Putting an 8 mesh screen on defeats that purpose as well as robs the sluice of water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread