Drug smugglers 1715 shipwreck

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just curious, how do these night time pirates find valuable items. Legal operations can go out in the light of the day with blowers and metal detectors, work all day and go for a month without finding anything of value. I know the obvious is they know where to look, but how do they know where to look. Legal operators would love to know where to look.

(just looked and realized it's an old thread)

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, how do these night time pirates find valuable items. Legal operations can go out in the light of the day with blowers and metal detectors, work all day and go for a month without finding anything of value. I know the obvious is they know where to look, but how do they know where to look. Legal operators would love to know where to look.

(just looked and realized it's an old thread)

I am glad it surfaced again actually... interesting read.

I wasn't a member at the time this thread was born... had I been... I would have piped in some info.

But that ship looks to have sailed. heh

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad it surfaced again actually... interesting read.

I wasn't a member at the time this thread was born... had I been... I would have piped in some info.

But that ship looks to have sailed. heh

Well now you have our attention,let’s hear it!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok....I went to school with Jay and jen ruck....I met John once when he was on the run....I was in college actually we were all in college together. I also went to school with liza lowell of the lowell house that should be clue enough to where the ruck treasure came from....I got to see some of those treasures back in the day and when John was on the run I partied at a condo that was supposedly paid for with treasure...the son and daughter lived here for awhile and we would have parties of 6-10 people every weekend. Ahhhhh the pirates life it was. I have the whole story here in my head. I got to handle some great treasure and remember there was a long time before he was apprehended, so there was ample time to dispose of and hide treasures. The story has no UFOs, but there is someone of major significance involved. And not what people think. I can't say that all the treasure came from the spot I was shown....but I know the bulk of riches came from this spot. It was also a chance dive by a recently released inmate that made that initial discovery many years back. Although I got to see some gold at those late night parties......it was the pictures that blew me away and changed my life. And it did change my life....I had no interest in treasure until meeting the ruck family and all of a sudden im partying in a condo bought with the proceeds of treasure. I was 15 16 at the time. I lost touch with Jay and Jen when I was 23. By then I had moved back home to the keys. I know where at least one of this groups major strikes was made and if anything remains it should still be there....its well protected and let's just say it a very snug hole !! Pretty sure I went to school with and was close friends with the siblings of 2 more partners of this group. As kids we only knew a little and were not to ask questions. Could be that 1 of those other 2 wasn't involved. As for treasure locations....I look everytime im up there and can. There is this one guy I call "the swimmer".....wonder if any one knows who and where I mean.....he's always there swimming on the clear summer days...back and forth always looking with his mask and snorkel. There's plenty more to the story....ill answer what I can.....some of it will undoubtedly sound like bull....it ain't.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you guys get done with ruck....take some time and look into jasper knabb. He's unrelated to this story but a significant illegal treasure hunter thats in jail.....I have all his documents including a beautiful chart with all the details and numbers to 49 different bahamian wreck sites....some he illegally recovered treasure from.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ruck should have been released in 2014. I wonder what he's doing now.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok....I went to school with Jay and jen ruck....I met John once when he was on the run....I was in college actually we were all in college together. I also went to school with liza lowell of the lowell house that should be clue enough to where the ruck treasure came from....I got to see some of those treasures back in the day and when John was on the run I partied at a condo that was supposedly paid for with treasure...the son and daughter lived here for awhile and we would have parties of 6-10 people every weekend. Ahhhhh the pirates life it was. I have the whole story here in my head. I got to handle some great treasure and remember there was a long time before he was apprehended, so there was ample time to dispose of and hide treasures. The story has no UFOs, but there is someone of major significance involved. And not what people think. I can't say that all the treasure came from the spot I was shown....but I know the bulk of riches came from this spot. It was also a chance dive by a recently released inmate that made that initial discovery many years back. Although I got to see some gold at those late night parties......it was the pictures that blew me away and changed my life. And it did change my life....I had no interest in treasure until meeting the ruck family and all of a sudden im partying in a condo bought with the proceeds of treasure. I was 15 16 at the time. I lost touch with Jay and Jen when I was 23. By then I had moved back home to the keys. I know where at least one of this groups major strikes was made and if anything remains it should still be there....its well protected and let's just say it a very snug hole !! Pretty sure I went to school with and was close friends with the siblings of 2 more partners of this group. As kids we only knew a little and were not to ask questions. Could be that 1 of those other 2 wasn't involved. As for treasure locations....I look everytime im up there and can. There is this one guy I call "the swimmer".....wonder if any one knows who and where I mean.....he's always there swimming on the clear summer days...back and forth always looking with his mask and snorkel. There's plenty more to the story....ill answer what I can.....some of it will undoubtedly sound like bull....it ain't.

That is such and interesting story, hope this thread continues. A movie should be made, lots of intrigue. So Ruck would be out of prison by now?

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sir here he is....he was a sleeper. Appears to be a nerd or geek but was far from it. Jet rated pilot, advanced deep water diver, and fully licensed captain. He swindled everyone and was illegally recovering treasure off grand bahama. After his assets were seized, I was working on one of his boats with a yacht broker when we found all the information, charts, and pictures stashed and hidden under the dashboard of his big yacht. Its pretty mind blowing. Hope to share some of it with sads669 Kevin in the spring this year.
https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Ex-Pegasus-CEO-gets-21-year-sentence-for-fraud-3618752.php

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr ruck may not have made it through his sentence, not sure. Ill start tracking down his kids Jay and jen and see how the story went. He came in a red Ferrari once and gave us all tickets to the gator nationals....it was the year Kenny Bernstein broke the 300mph mark. We knew he was on the run so it was a shock when he showed up at our apartment in Gainesville. It was a goodbye gift to us as he went deep underground on the run. I think it was the last time he spent with his kids. I was hanging around and was included that day.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ruck should have been released in 2014. I wonder what he's doing now.

Im not sure but the swimmer i mentioned is in the know of the spot, and is the keeper of the gate now.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember watching America's most wanted and seeing tom John as America's number 1 fugitive !! We had a blowout party and invited everyone over to watch it on TV. We felt like such pirates....."ya thats my buddies dad dude" we thought we were somehow cool being associated with him.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Im not sure but the swimmer i mentioned is in the know of the spot, and is the keeper of the gate now.

Looks like it's time to put away the metal detector and break out the binoculars next summer :piratehand:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This group fenced treasure in europe....they would exchange treasure for jewelry, cars(Ferrari,Lamborghini, and pantera), and especially the high end rolex watches. Those are just the types of cars I saw come and go. The real treasure was the 20 million in gold being held for the cali cartel....wonder how much got hidden/buried ?? Do have a couple properties in vero I'd love to check. Remeber also that some of the players in this never got in any trouble....I also know that three more equal piles of treasure were shared among the other pirates in this group !! I remember seeing the absolutely largest silver serving platter I've ever seen. There were several pieces of very delicate fillagree type jewelry also. Always wondered about queens jewels and these guys finds. That serving platter was the type you see in master and commander when they eat the cake scene. It could've held a whole pig with the apple in its mouth.....it was that big. Wish I had been more interested at the time and paid closer attention. I was a competitive surfer at the time and only cared about the partying then....weed women and wine were of the main concerns then....not treasure.

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
....weed women and wine were of the main concerns then....not treasure.

I remember this time of life well - weed, women, wine, and rock music. I didn't meet any pirates, but I did meet one of Odysseus' sirens - camped on the beach of Grassy Key and swam naked together in the surf. Treasure hunting was focused on the young ladies mainly, although I did spend 10 days on a shrimp boat out of Key West across the gulf toward Mexico. Catch was miserable and the last trawl snared a giant chunk of coral that was too heavy to winch out of the water - it finally ripped through the freshly tarred net and let us proceed back to port. Was paid enough treasure to keep my belly full for a couple weeks...

Great tales Bart - you should write a book one of these days.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember this time of life well - weed, women, wine, and rock music. I didn't meet any pirates, but I did meet one of Odysseus' sirens - camped on the beach of Grassy Key and swam naked together in the surf. Treasure hunting was focused on the young ladies mainly, although I did spend 10 days on a shrimp boat out of Key West across the gulf toward Mexico. Catch was miserable and the last trawl snared a giant chunk of coral that was too heavy to winch out of the water - it finally ripped through the freshly tarred net and let us proceed back to port. Was paid enough treasure to keep my belly full for a couple weeks...

Great tales Bart - you should write a book one of these days.

"Treasure Tales of the Treasure Coast", by the one and only, Blak Bart!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread