πŸ₯‡ BANNER Dug a change purse full of silver!!!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a walking away from the car story for a change. I was walking through the woods toward an area with stone farmer walls that I intended to search. I was casually swinging as I walked the trail when I got a high tone about six inches from the trail edge. I rescanned and got mixed signals and VDIs. I dug the hole and found a leather change purse about five inches down. I could not resist opening it, and immediately saw the half dollar as shown in the first picture. Coins started spilling out the corroded back of the purse, so I put it in my bag right away and picked up the fallen coins. I found nothing else the rest of my hunt, and could only think about what might have been in my bag. When I got home I sorted the coins. Sixteen silvers, including the half, 8 Washington quarters, 4 Mercury dimes, 2 silver Rosies, and a 1944 silver nickel. Also had a few wheat pennies, several Jefferson nickels, and a Buffalo nickel. Twenty-four coins total! While none of these coins are particularly old or unique, it sure was exciting finding them this way, and on the first hole.. Happy Hunting. Good luck out there.

Attachments

• 20210328_122758.jpg
    20210328_122758.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 4,306
  • 20210328_144822.jpg
    20210328_144822.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 795
  • 20210328_172847.jpg
    20210328_172847.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 753
  • 20210328_173033.jpg
    20210328_173033.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 35,529
Upvote 187

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! Yes. The most recent coin was 1959, so I am thinking this was lost sometime between 1959 and 1964, which was the last year the U.S. produced silver coins for circulation (with some exceptions, e.g., Kennedy half). It is just interesting that no one found it around the time it was lost. I am not sure how long it lay on the surface in full view before sinking down or somehow getting buried over.
Who knows what the conditions were when this was lost over 50 years ago, the area it was lost in may have looked quite different back in the early-60s. :icon_scratch:

All that matters, is you found it and that it made the Tnet BANNER! :laughing7:
Dave

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats lenmac65....very nice banner and well deserved. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!! Congratulations

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for the great comments, the "likes", and, of course, the banner votes. I am thrilled with getting the "Banner" designation for this find, and have really enjoyed the whole experience. I wish you all good luck and happy hunting... this is such a great hobby!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you everyone for the great comments, the "likes", and, of course, the banner votes. I am thrilled with getting the "Banner" designation for this find, and have really enjoyed the whole experience. I wish you all good luck and happy hunting... this is such a great hobby!
Just receiving the recognition of a BANNER achievement on Tnet is a great thing Len. :notworthy:

The affect it had on me, was it inspired me to keep chasing that next 'big BANNER find'.
The negative affect it had on me, was that it kept me chasing that 'next big BANNER find. :laughing7:

The reality is we just never know when the next big find is going to pop up.
For me it was finding a racehorse I.D. tag last week, that's what inspires me to keep going back. :thumbsup:

Love seeing your finds my friend,
Dave

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just receiving the recognition of a BANNER achievement on Tnet is a great thing Len. :notworthy:

The affect it had on me, was it inspired me to keep chasing that next 'big BANNER find'.
The negative affect it had on me, was that it kept me chasing that 'next big BANNER find. :laughing7:

The reality is we just never know when the next big find is going to pop up.
For me it was finding a racehorse I.D. tag last week, that's what inspires me to keep going back. :thumbsup:

Love seeing your finds my friend,
Dave

:laughing7: So, true! It is a mixed blessing indeed, but definitely a great and worthwhile one. I can't wait to get back out there, though I am running low on good spots. Barney's Mistress was a cool find. Congrats on the nice save. I wish you continued good luck, and look forward to seeing more of your finds and posts (love all the photos and detail). Thanks again for your comments... Best, Steve

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:laughing7: So, true! It is a mixed blessing indeed, but definitely a great and worthwhile one. I can't wait to get back out there, though I am running low on good spots. Barney's Mistress was a cool find. Congrats on the nice save. I wish you continued good luck, and look forward to seeing more of your finds and posts (love all the photos and detail). Thanks again for your comments... Best, Steve
Thanks for mentioning the racehorse tag I found Steve, these tags are not easy to find even on a farm that bred racehorses. One thing I realized years ago when I found Northern Dancers nieces halter I.D. here, was that horse folks are amazingly detailed when it comes to the lineage of their animals. It was for this reason that it was relatively easy to find out where this mare was born, lived, and later sold. :thumbsup:

Best of luck if you get out this Easter long weekend... as I tell my friends, there's no Covid out in the farm fields. :laughing7:
Dave

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done congratulations thanks for sharing this with us

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a sweet find!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!! That's Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!

Kepfingered

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2021
VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster /Minlab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow!
That’s a once in a lifetime find!
Huge congrats
Great find I found a few nice coins detecting the entrance of a park that was littered with cans pull tabs before I walked into the woods ..Great job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread