142.4 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most artifact hunters have absolutely no idea how many artifacts are down below the plow line. All they ever see is what turns up in the surface where it has been plowed and looked for 200 years. Never giving a thought to what is 4, 5, 8, or 10 feet down. Pristine goodies that are not picked over and have never seen a plow.

I go to bedrock anything below that is for hard rock miners .

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to bedrock anything below that is for hard rock miners .

I go to hard pan whether that is clay or rock depends on the site. Artifacts 20plus feet deep on the side of a hill is not uncommon.

You hear the old farmer story about picking up buckets of arrowheads when they plowed back in the day. That old tale is probably true. You can go dig that same spot and find buckets of points once you get below the plow zone.

Last edited:

Cobradude22

May 11, 2018
Crawfordsville, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is amazing. Unfortunately the farmers around here don’t plow the fields anymore like they used to. I’m lucky if we find points on the surface. Best we get is usually chisel plowed fields. It blows my mind to think there are artifacts 20 feet below. I can’t imagine how long it took for them to get that deep. It would be awesome pulling a bucket up full of points that’s for sure.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are down there though. Lots of these site were occupied for 12,000 years. Depending on the soil and slope, paleo may not start till 12ft.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just shake my head every time you say Brazos river area. I lived in College Station and we fished it all the time. No Idea why I never hunted it. What another great day.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just shake my head every time you say Brazos river area. I lived in College Station and we fished it all the time. No Idea why I never hunted it. What another great day.

This site is almost in town right across the road from the horse barn.

Here are two of Justin's frames we dug from the site. These are 18 x 36 inch frames.

Attachments

• IMG_Apr16(1).jpg
    IMG_Apr16(1).jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_Apr16.jpg
    IMG_Apr16.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 47

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site is almost in town right across the road from the horse barn.

Here are two of Justin's frames we dug from the site. These are 18 x 36 inch frames.

Those are freaking spectacular. I know when they brought us sand for the mall we were building the driver said it was off the Brazos and it was full of fossils. I still have a tree stump. I would be interested in some horse trading to have one from the area for the fine memories of the good people and the land. It is nice to see the ones that were so worn down they naturally transitioned and went into the drill stage.Those are even more special in my opinion. Fine craftsmanship. Glad you are saving the history heck we were building shopping centers all over everything back then. If bones and artifacts got pushed up we worked through the night to get gravel down so we would not be shut down.Nature of business and the beast back then.
Thank you for sharing those frame.
TnMtns

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to hard pan whether that is clay or rock depends on the site. Artifacts 20plus feet deep on the side of a hill is not uncommon.

You hear the old farmer story about picking up buckets of arrowheads when they plowed back in the day. That old tale is probably true. You can go dig that same spot and find buckets of points once you get below the plow zone.

I think most artifact hunters have absolutely no idea how many artifacts are down below the plow line. All they ever see is what turns up in the surface where it has been plowed and looked for 200 years. Never giving a thought to what is 4, 5, 8, or 10 feet down. Pristine goodies that are not picked over and have never seen a plow.

this. i'm in tn not texas. high spots out of the flood plain on bends.

look at topo maps and try to get a feel for how long the area has had good water. if you find a land owner that is willing to lease/and or other on said area...

as always awesome stuff gar.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this. i'm in tn not texas. high spots out of the flood plain on bends.

look at topo maps and try to get a feel for how long the area has had good water. if you find a land owner that is willing to lease/and or other on said area...

as always awesome stuff gar.

Leasing is fine but buying is better. Often you can buy a site, dig it, restore it, then sell it for a profit. Thus you got paid to dig it and you can do it how ever you like.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
You have defiantly given me some motivation to revisit some of my favorite camps with some new ideas. I need to do just exactly what your telling everyone. I don’t know why it’s so hard to just go do it.
I’ve tried hunting a few different times using prop wash from a boat and had ok luck but I really think I’ve just scratching around the edge of the sweet spot.
Again the quality and quantity of you frames is just outstanding. I really don’t know how you can get anything else done after all that sorting, let alone digging. I gotta get busy and pick up the pace.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, That is a mighty fine Metate. Did you find any grinding stones (manos) that you can attribute them too?

Yeah we find quite a few. There wasn't one specifically associated this time though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread