Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE IN REPLY #102! It appears that the example of the PB countermark on my coin was UNIQUE as of 2003--hoping for more information on whether any have been recovered since!

Hello All,

I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress! :D

Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

HPIM4169.JPG

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.

At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.

Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183

Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.

Parts of three solid silver spoons:

HPIM4179.JPG HPIM4177.JPG HPIM4178.JPG

1890 IH was a nice surprise:

HPIM4180.JPG HPIM4181.JPG

Nice 1913 Barber Dime :)

HPIM4175.JPG HPIM4176.JPG

And the cut 8Reales:

HPIM4173.JPG HPIM4174.JPG

HPIM4172.JPG

The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?

All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron. :D

HPIM4182.JPG

It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 70
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I must say that in order for long-time guru and much respected Tnet member PBK to make a visit to PM me, I knew it had to be good. Here is what he states:

"According to Brunk's Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins, only two "P. B. in Rectangle" specimens had been reported at the time of the book's publication (2003), and on both of those the original "P. B." mark has been partially overstruck or obliterated by the second issue "P. B. Circled by Chain" mark. So, that would appear to indicate that yours with a pristine "P. B. in Rectangle" mark (and no second "P. B. Circled by Chain"mark added) is unique!"

Best Wishes,

PBK

I am FLOORED by this coin. Cannot believe it, and it just keeps getting better. "Find of a Lifetime" cannot come close to describing this feeling right now!

-Buck

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I must say that in order for long-time guru and much respected Tnet member PBK to make a visit to PM me, I knew it had to be good. Here is what he states:

"According to Brunk's Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins, only two "P. B. in Rectangle" specimens had been reported at the time of the book's publication (2003), and on both of those the original "P. B." mark has been partially overstruck or obliterated by the second issue "P. B. Circled by Chain" mark. So, that would appear to indicate that yours with a pristine "P. B. in Rectangle" mark (and no second "P. B. Circled by Chain"mark added) is unique to date!"

Best Wishes,

PBK

I am FLOORED by this coin. Cannot believe it, and it just keeps getting better. "Find of a Lifetime" cannot come close to describing this feeling right now!

-Buck

Cool, the guru forgot 2 words 'to date'.:laughing7: Still makes it closer to $5000 instead of $3000!

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Wow, what a great find. La. has been good to you. All the spanish and seated coins not to mention the other finds you have made since moving there. Those cane rows have paid off. 8-)

Congrats on the find of a lifetime. Not only is this your best in 20 years but I can see this becoming the find of the year in the metal detecting community.

Good Luck My Friend.
Randy

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok on the cleaning, this is a dug coin, the scratches are already there, but the value of this coin makes it a tricky one, we don't want a nice shiny coin at the end. If it was a rare coin that I had found here, it would already be cleaned, but I know things are different over there. To remove any surface crud that might be on the coin, will involve some type of cleaning, which will also remove any toning the coin has.

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite possible, but I hope not because I guess it means the dirt is stuck on there pretty good.

BB... Just another note on the stamp being on the same side.... This is likely just a spacing issue, as you can see on the other pic the coin would not have the room to put both on the same side. I'm curious if other larger examples that have the space, were also be marked on both sides. As far as countermarks go I believe it is more common to have multiple stamps on the same side than putting them on both, and it makes sense to do it that way because the mark usually affects the opposite side of the coin... not that the person would be concerned with the undertype, but could also affect the already stamped countermark. It just seems to make more sense to put both on the same side when possible.

Considering that the nicest example of the more common counterstamp sold at stacks for over $9,000.00 then this is should be a good one!

I have blasted the coin with water on both sides to remove the dirt. What you are seeing is a pale grey silver that sometimes happens from leaching in the water-saturated soils here. I am not going to do anything else to the coin.

Patch, that's a great idea on the spacing issue. Makes more sense to stamp both sides, and also the stamp is more readily seen. But if no space issue...then not essential. This could be one of the first coins stamped by Planter's Bank, before they started stamping with the PB in chain links stamp.

Crusader, I know how you are about the word "unique." Have updated my post just for you, my friend! :)

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Evidently, they were originally cut that way by the bank. I try not to over-play my hand unless there are some aces in it...but in this case--bullets! :D

I can sound like pretty much anything, from West Virginia and Virginia to the Northeast, to TN and KY, and Cajun Louisianan. I like to try to master different accents, and pride myself on not having an accent that betrays where I'm really from. ;)

That is really incredibly historic! Makes sense that they were cut by the bank and why they have that kind of value. Now, do you keep or sell? Would not be an easy decision if it was mine. Needless to say, if you do decide to sell, it should be auctioned, but certainly not on ebay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really incredibly historic! Makes sense that they were cut by the bank and why they have that kind of value. Now, do you keep or sell? Would not be an easy decision if it was mine. Needless to say, if you do decide to sell, it should be auctioned, but certainly not on ebay.

Never an easy decision. But I am talking with several collectors right now.

Best Wishes,

Buck

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Never an easy decision. But I am talking with several collectors right now.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Just be careful. Cause if it's really rare, there's the possiblity that at a place like Stack's it could really take off to a price much higher than what the experts and collector's are saying it's worth. I've learned long ago in my business that auctioning an item is usually more fruitful than selling it privately, unless you know EXACTLY or very near what it's worth. And keep in mind, since I'm assuming prices you are finding for similar pieces are from years ago, you have to take in to effect, what was the economy like when a similar item was auctioned. Was it right after the financial meltdown, when buyers were cautious or before Sept. 2008. Anyway things are heating up again and collectors are spending for rare items. On the other hand, do you know if Stacks or one of the other major coin houses would even auction a dug example? Take your time with it and don't do anything rash, even though someone may be waving a stack of C notes in front of you, because a piece like that is not going to go bad (figuratively and literally,) but should continue to go up in value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be careful. Cause if it's really rare, there's the possiblity that at a place like Stack's it could really take off to a price much higher than what the experts and collector's are saying it's worth. I've learned long ago in my business that auctioning an item is usually more fruitful than selling it privately, unless you know EXACTLY or very near what it's worth. And keep in mind, since I'm assuming prices you are finding for similar pieces are from years ago, you have to take in to effect, what was the economy like when a similar item was auctioned. Was it right after the financial meltdown, when buyers were cautious or before Sept. 2008. Anyway things are heating up again and collectors are spending for rare items. On the other hand, do you know if Stacks or one of the other major coin houses would even auction a dug example? Take your time with it and don't do anything rash, even though someone may be waving a stack of C notes in front of you, because a piece like that is not going to go bad (figuratively and literally,) but should continue to go up in value.

These are wise words. I would certainly go auction. And yes, they would auction a dug example, no problem. I have already looked and that will not be an issue, should I decide to sell.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on such and exciting and historical find! Hunting as hard as you do in the heat and humidity down there, there is no doubt that you had this one coming to you.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
These are wise words. I would certainly go auction. And yes, they would auction a dug example, no problem. I have already looked and that will not be an issue, should I decide to sell.

Well good luck to you whatever you decide to do, but with a potential payday of over 5k, I'd probably sell it!

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATULATIONS BB.....You deserve it! Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok on the cleaning, this is a dug coin, the scratches are already there, but the value of this coin makes it a tricky one, we don't want a nice shiny coin at the end. If it was a rare coin that I had found here, it would already be cleaned, but I know things are different over there. To remove any surface crud that might be on the coin, will involve some type of cleaning, which will also remove any toning the coin has.

SS

You definitely want to figure out what's best, and do that, but scratches seen under magnification really won't make much difference on this as it is dug, and the vast majority of the value is based on the countermark. It's just a different situation compared to digging an early silver coin which is heavily scrutinized for the grade/condition.

Last edited:

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
whats to say that hasnt been said? I'll trade you mine for it :) Congrats buddy...........simply awesome. The word thats thrown around so loosely these days, awesome, but certainly applies here!!! now, I'm off to find mine ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread