Dumb question... these are 18th Century Silver Cufflinks right?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Not a detecting find, but a recent purchase. I knew they seemed large when I purchased them, but getting them in hand they're monstrously large. In the one image, I have a U.S. nickel under what I generally think of as a traditional size set. These are just about double that. Are these just big cufflinks, or could they have been used for something else?

Also, I know the rose image has been open to discussion as to whether they are for British Naval Officers. Is it possible this is what they were used for? They seem to fit into a roughly 1750-1785 date span. Thank you for any input!

Attachments

• IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    534.7 KB · Views: 485
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 122
  • s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    258 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 13

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cool, look old too! Nice score!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a detecting find, but a recent purchase. I knew they seemed large when I purchased them, but getting them in hand they're monstrously large. In the one image, I have a U.S. nickel under what I generally think of as a traditional size set. These are just about double that. Are these just big cufflinks, or could they have been used for something else?

Also, I know the rose image has been open to discussion as to whether they are for British Naval Officers. Is it possible this is what they were used for? They seem to fit into a roughly 1750-1785 date span. Thank you for any input!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looking find. I think you are right about the time period & use as a British Naval Officer's cuff links. I'm not an expert but it seems they are pretty close to these ones pictured in the links.
I wonder who "P B" was? If it was "B B" it would have been Benjamin Bunker from Nantucket.

LINKS:

item-45225298=1

item-45225298=2

c 1775 Rev War British Naval Officer’s Cufflinks

Item Details

Description​

Colonial America
American Revolutionary War British Naval Officer’s Matched Set of Silver “Tudor Rose” Design Cufflinks
c. 1775 American Revolutionary War British Naval Officer’s Matched Set of Octagonal Silver “Tudor Rose” Cufflinks, Choice Very Fine.
16mm. This choice mated pair being a matched set of Revolutionary War British Naval Officer’s Silver Cufflinks. They have the classic “Tudor Rose” design and intact shanks on their reverse. Make of Silver, complete with hallmark on the link. Nice for display.

OP
OP
testing123

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Great looking find. I think you are right about the time period & use as a British Naval Officer's cuff links. I'm not an expert but it seems they are pretty close to these ones pictured in the links.
I wonder who "P B" was? If it was "B B" it would have been Benjamin Bunker from Nantucket.

LINKS:

item-45225298=1

item-45225298=2

c 1775 Rev War British Naval Officer’s Cufflinks

Item Details

Description​

Colonial America
American Revolutionary War British Naval Officer’s Matched Set of Silver “Tudor Rose” Design Cufflinks
c. 1775 American Revolutionary War British Naval Officer’s Matched Set of Octagonal Silver “Tudor Rose” Cufflinks, Choice Very Fine.
16mm. This choice mated pair being a matched set of Revolutionary War British Naval Officer’s Silver Cufflinks. They have the classic “Tudor Rose” design and intact shanks on their reverse. Make of Silver, complete with hallmark on the link. Nice for display.

Thank you for the info! Out of boredom I looked up some British Naval Officers to see for a PB. Surprisingly one did come up! A Peregrine Bertie. I suppose odds are small, but there's always a chance.

This was taken from wikipedia:
Captain Peregrine Francis Bertie (13 March 1741 – 20 August 1790) was a British naval officer and politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1774 to 1790.

The third son of Willoughby Bertie, 3rd Earl of Abingdon, he was educated at Westminster School.[1] Commissioned a lieutenant in the Royal Navy on 17 December 1759, he was promoted commander on 1 January 1762 and given command of the sloop HMS Despatch. He was made a post-captain on 6 November 1762 and commanded the fifth-rate Repulse until February 1763. He got another command, the frigate HMS Shannon, that August, which he took to Africa and then the Leeward Islands before giving up command in 1764.[2] In 1766, he inherited the Norreys estates, including Weston-on-the-Green, Oxfordshire and Yattendon,[3] Hampstead Norreys, and Bothampstead in Berkshire,[4] from his second cousin once removed, Norreys Bertie.[1]

Bertie entered Parliament as MP for Oxford in 1774 on the interest of his brother, the 4th Earl of Abingdon. A Tory like the rest of the family, he was noted in 1780 as an opposition member who rarely attended Parliament. Lord Abingdon was a supporter of the Shelburne Ministry, and made sure that Bertie was on hand to vote in support of the peace preliminaries to end the American Revolutionary War in February 1783.[5] Bertie also went to sea again for the first time in almost twenty years: he briefly commanded HMS Fortitude in early 1783.[2]

When he inherited them in 1766, the Norreys estates were encumbered with an annuity to his sister Elizabeth, wife of John Gallini. In 1784, Gallini and Elizabeth bought the manors of Hampstead Norreys and Bothampstead from Peregrine,[6] followed in 1785 by the adjacent manor of Yattendon.[7]

Bertie went to sea for the last time, commanding HMS Carnatic, guard ship at Plymouth, from April 1786 to 1788.[2] His one recorded speech in Parliament was in opposition to the government, in favor of John Pollexfen Bastard's motion in 1788 on naval promotions.[5]

Despite voting against the First Pitt the Younger ministry over the Regency Bill in 1789, the Pittite Abingdon again returned Peregrine for Westbury in the 1790 election on 16 June 1790. He had just married (on 7 May) Elizabeth Hutchins, but they had no children, as he died on 20 August, before Parliament opened. He left his remaining estate at Weston-on-the-Green to his brother, Lord Abingdon, and made provision for one illegitimate daughter by his housekeeper.[1]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions