Dust Devil's & Dust Storms & Brick Hammer digging - Couple of Saxon Bits...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be the last day of the heat wave. The only thing that helped keep us digging for 4 hrs 15 mins was the wind. Not cold but cooling other than the dust it kicked up. Ended up with a gritty mouth & black boogers.
The best option we could find was a wheat stubble field that had its surface disced up. Gave us 3 inches of sandy dust to move with our feet & then it was a solid hard-pack with no cracks. Used the chisel end of a Brick Hammer for the first time. Worked pretty well.
This low yield Roman area with a little bit of other stuff mixed in, would never have come to the top of the list this time of year but I tried to employ the large area grid to give us the best chance of that 1 good find.
Found enough for it to be worth it & we are very low on Saxon finds this year;

3 Scrappies
WWII Auxiliary Fire Service Button
US Button (I'm guessing WWII)
Circa 8-9th C Saxon Strap-end
Circa 6th C Saxon Girdle Hanger Stem. (Largest & best example of this type of find - well modelled & high Status) They hung in pairs (occasionally 3) from the waist of the Lady of the household. Meant to represent a key or latch-lifter showing that the lady had the control of the house.
(Above complete example of a Girdle Hanger in the BM)

1.JPG
2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be the last day of the heat wave. The only thing that helped keep us digging for 4 hrs 15 mins was the wind. Not cold but cooling other than the dust it kicked up. Ended up with a gritty mouth & black boogers.
The best option we could find was a wheat stubble field that had its surface disced up. Gave us 3 inches of sandy dust to move with our feet & then it was a solid hard-pack with no cracks. Used the chisel end of a Brick Hammer for the first time. Worked pretty well.
This low yield Roman area with a little bit of other stuff mixed in, would never have come to the top of the list this time of year but I tried to employ the large area grid to give us the best chance of that 1 good find.

3 Scrappies
Circa 6th C Saxon Girdle Hanger Stem. (Largest & best example of this type of find - well modelled & high Status) They hung in pairs (occasionally 3) from the waist of the Lady of the household. Meant to represent a key or latch-lifter showing that the lady had the control of the house.

View attachment 2041695 View attachment 2041696
Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

3 Scrappies

View attachment 2041695 View attachment 2041696
Love the Saxon bit! That would be a nice conversation piece to have on my book shelf...love to a pic of the brick hammer. :)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going congrats

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Saxon bit! That would be a nice conversation piece to have on my book shelf...love to a pic of the brick hammer. :)
Only had 2 of them as I brought them to use a Rock Hammers when fossil hunting with my Nephew. This hasn't happened yet, so at least they were put to good use.

1.JPG

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's great to step back in history every time I read your posts- Excellent finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread