DUTCHMAN CLUES ONLY WITH RULES

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m hoping that we can put a decent thread together of the Dutchman clues. It gets a bit tiring scrolling through the forums looking for good Opinions on the clues, threads get sidetracked or egos get fired up. So in the hopes of getting past all that lets try this.

HERE ARE THE RULES. Just post 1 clue per post along with the reason you think it may be relevant. If you want to post more clues, do each one individually. If someone else has already posted a clue feel free to post it again with your reason for thinking it’s a good clue.

Now, here is the tricky part, This thread is for the CLUES ONLY, if you have concerns about a clue posted PLEASE start a new thread by copy and pasting that clue with an appropriate title i.e. CLUE CONCERN 4 Peaks, then that clue can be discussed individually. Let’s keep the focus of that thread on track as well, just discussing that individual clue. Simple I hope, so let’s not pack this thread with other stuff JUST THE CLUES.

I believe Joe tried something similar a while ago and of course it got sidetracked, just trying to see if we can come up with a good solid thread of clues and break each one down individually in separate threads without things falling apart or getting hijacked.

I’m a bit skeptical that this will actually work, but it’s worth a try.

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I'll start... My favorite clue is the "pointing Tree".

One reason is because there are about 3 or 4 different versions of that clue. That means, in my opinion, that while the versions differ slightly, there is still supposed to be a tree with a limb pointing to the mine.

The other reason I believe it is because I have a picture of this tree. I'd post it here, but I'm on my phone. I did post it on my own thread called "Clues that match my search area".

Thanks
Travis

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Eric,

My favorite clue, is where Julia and Rhiney tried to enter the mountains on their first attempt.

Take care,

Joe

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somero,

"If you pass the three Red Hills you have gone too far." (Jacob Waltz to DicK Holmes Phoenix, AT. October 25, 1891)

The key here is to find the correct three Red Hills, and decide what Waltz meant by, "Hills". Were they hills, mounds, bumps, knolls, ........... ? This clue can actually be located in the Superstition Mountains.

Matthew K. Roberts

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the clue where Waltz said that you can see 4 peaks from his mine to the north and the peaks are in line to look as one peak. And above his mine a ways you can look south and see a high pointed needle. But that may not mean Four Peaks Mountain/ Weavers . AREA WHERE 4 PEAKS LOOK AS 1.jpg This place is a few miles SE from Tortilla Flats? I think Peters Canyon is on the other side of the ridge but I don`t know what the name of this area is.

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I also like the clue that says "Take the Indian trail that leaves there".

The "There" in this clue is the Spring from the "Dutchman Clues". The Holmes clues also say "Go to 2nd water". Assuming the "Spring" in the Dutchman Clues is 2nd Water, then you're supposed to take the "Indian Trail that leaves there".

Now every trail in the mountains can be considered an "Indian Trail". I stood at 2nd Water and asked myself, "what trail would I take from 2nd Water that would be an "Indian Trail"?"....

Then I realized the Dutchman Clues were telling you to take the Indian Paint Mine trail. That's the only reasonable explanation for this clue, in my opinion.

Thanks
Travis

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the clue actually ment 4 peaks as seen as one peak, and directly south was weavers needle, the path would be as shown.
The line being the sight line,

The blue squigly spot on the left side of the line,across from route 88, is Tortilla flats. Where the wine glass is looking thingy.
Canyon lake is the one on the left, with the square, and the car front end.
4peaks to weavers nedle.jpg

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
"No miner will ever find my mine" - supposedly heard in a saloon in Phoenix, A.T.

Why I think this is relevant, is that the alleged origin of this clue was Waltz talking in a saloon in his younger days, in front of many ears, people he did not wish to have trailing him back to the mine. It may have been a bluff, a bit of bravado, that was intended to deceive his listeners by making them discouraged. However I suspect that it concealed a grain of truth, that he felt no experienced prospector would find the mine because it was in a place and type of rock that was NOT "correct", not the way gold is supposed to be found. An example of this, the Superstition mountains are largely made up of volcanic type rocks which are notoriously barren of valuable minerals, and this type of volcanic rock is not known to be a common type of rock where you would likely find a vein of gold bearing quartz. Likewise, certain areas of the Superstitions are made up of largely sedimentary rocks, which are very much not a good type of rock to find gold veins in. So I believe this clue is not only valid, but is telling us that the vein (and mine) are in a type of rock that you would not normally expect to find a vein of gold in.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'afternoon Sumero: I can't find where I can open a new thread, so you will have to do it for me by copying and pasting this, then I will delete this post.

Oro, mi Tayopa assoc. you posted --> the Superstition mountains are largely made up of volcanic type rocks which are notoriously barren of valuable minerals, and this type of volcanic rock is not known to be a common type of rock where you would likely find a vein of gold bearing quartz. Likewise, certain areas of the Superstitions are made up of largely sedimentary rocks, which are very much not a good type of rock to find gold veins in. So I believe this clue is not only valid, but is telling us that the vein (and mine) are in a type of rock that you would not normally expect to find a vein of gold in.

###################################

As you are well aware, this is precisely the reason why Tayopa evaded the best for 400 years, and still does. It is in an area that normally is devoid of any mineral occurrence of economic value, but, this has an exception, this is the reason why it has evaded the mining engr's, Geologists, prospectors, as well as adventurers. And 'you' know the answer.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"No miner will ever find my mine" - supposedly heard in a saloon in Phoenix, A.T.

Why I think this is relevant, is that the alleged origin of this clue was Waltz talking in a saloon in his younger days, in front of many ears, people he did not wish to have trailing him back to the mine. It may have been a bluff, a bit of bravado, that was intended to deceive his listeners by making them discouraged. However I suspect that it concealed a grain of truth, that he felt no experienced prospector would find the mine because it was in a place and type of rock that was NOT "correct", not the way gold is supposed to be found. An example of this, the Superstition mountains are largely made up of volcanic type rocks which are notoriously barren of valuable minerals, and this type of volcanic rock is not known to be a common type of rock where you would likely find a vein of gold bearing quartz. Likewise, certain areas of the Superstitions are made up of largely sedimentary rocks, which are very much not a good type of rock to find gold veins in. So I believe this clue is not only valid, but is telling us that the vein (and mine) are in a type of rock that you would not normally expect to find a vein of gold in.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Then this should also mean and include any miner such as Silver,Copper, or any other precious metals.
So then it is where I heard a black volcanic rock,(useless) and red is involved around it hence the red stains on his pants.
So,this is narrowing it down.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Not a pit mine but THE PIT MINE

Go around a old timer milking the legend. Say the pit mine and watch the look on their face. They know!

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Not a pit mine but THE PIT MINE

Go around a old timer milking the legend. Say the pit mine and watch the look on their face. They know!

Frank,

I have been told that someone from the Museum and the Don's Club is quite angry with some of the things I have posted. Believe he is not alone.:dontknow:

It's being said that I am discouraging some of the newbies. Believe I have encouraged many more by starting the Rendezvous. Don't think people who believe in the legend can be discouraged.......by anything. They are like geese coming into a rice field. Not much will deter them.

Have you and Mary set the date yet?:love3: Believe WRM1 would be a great "best man":walk: but chances are he won't show up. If he does, see if he will give you the $50. he welched on. Never make a bet with him.:BangHead:

Take care,

Joe

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Because someone who is a trusted source writes or tells a story, does not make it a fact, no matter how many times it's repeated.

Take care,

Joe
"

Old quote but still as true today.
Couldn't have said it better myself...

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
"Because someone who is a trusted source writes or tells a story, does not make it a fact, no matter how many times it's repeated.

Take care,

Joe
"

Old quote but still as true today.
Couldn't have said it better myself...

Wayne,

Quite true for everyone else but, of course, not true for my sources. Their stories should all be taken to the bank......immediately.:notworthy: By extension, that would also include my stuff.8-)

Take care,

Joe

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the elusive pit...

if there were a series of mines...with THE PIT, being only one of many...then others should have been found by now...at least one dutchhunter should have falling in by accident...
this from someone who has fallen bottom first onto an ancient barrel cacti....in a known shaft...

as an unrepentant barbarian child in superior, I have found many old diggings...many near pit like...but not one of the pits required ironwood, or mesquite shoring...
and they don't disappear.

and what about 'the pit' being in the black layer of the supes?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread